English-language satellite TV in Bremen

13 posts in this topic

Could someone please tell me what Satellite has the most English channels and which descrambler card is the best for some TV in Bremen. I can not afford the full Sky Deal from London. I just miss some sitcoms and movies.

I picked up Astra 2D in Bremen on a 80cm dish, which was on the fringes for that size of dish but I had no problems at all, the signal was perfect. Hamburg is say around 100km further east, so you will be able to pick up Astra 2D with a 1.2m dish, probably even a 1m.

Hi everyone and der Engländer in particular (see comment above) - new member to Bremen/Niedersachsen here.

Just spent ages (unsuccessfully) trying to line up a satellite dish to Astra 2D (28.2 degrees East) trying to receive BBC and ITV. Can anyone out there (in Bremen area) tell me whether they can receive with a 60cm dish - if not, what is the minimum size required? Will 80cm definitely do the trick?

I have been told that it should be possible to receive BBC and ITV on 2D with a 'cheapie' satellite kit (from REAL or such) - anyone with experience of doing so themselves in HB? Grateful for any tips. B)

Topics merged by admin

Patience ia a virtue...

Dish Size is always important..

80cm Should be ok for your area..

SP

Not too far away from you, in Klein Meckelsen near Sittensen, we have perfect reception using a Kathrein CAS90.

Hi there,

I've have a 90cm Kathrein dish and have absolutely no problems (even in heavy rain, which is no rarity in Bremen B) ). I was told by the guy who set it up that 60cm is too small because of the necessary "reserves" (which I assume means signal strength in said rainy conditions) but it should be possibly to receive UK channels with a 60cm dish. It needs to be perfectly set up (which means some form of electronic equipment - not a sat-finder!!) and of good quality. A 90cm dish is not that much more expensive than a smaller one (€ 40.- or so) but obviously takes up a little more space . . . ours is conveniently at the end of the balcony and uses space which only the cats venture into.

I've always believed in buying quality products, especially in this area, as it makes no sense to buy something cheap and be constantly annoyed about it (and then subsequently buying something more expensive and paying more in the long run.) My present dish is already 18 years old and could be new . . .

I'm not sure if they're still there, but there used to be a really good dealer outside of Verden. It's been a few years since I went there, but I'm sure I could find the address if anyone is interested.

Stevie

Further to Stevies comment the guy who set up our dish in Klein Meckelsen, took about 10 minutes. He came from Sittensen and charges EUR50 an hour. Just wanted to pass on his comment however, which relates to Stevies. He said that with any other make of dish, we have Kathrein, we would have had problems, and that Kathrein is worth at least 10-15 cms over other dish sizes, due to the perfectly shaped dish.

Quote 'My present dish is already 18 years old and could be new . . . '

Ours is 14 years old and could be new.

As a fall back watch a streaming on your PC:

Download this http://rapidshare.com/files/282992671/British_TV.rar

and if you don't have VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Install VLC player first...

Then run the British TV program - a black screen will appear then a

list of the available channels. To watch a channel - type in the

relevant channel number at the bottom of the page where it asks what

channel would you like to watch...and enter - wait a few seconds and it

will open the VLC player and the stream will start...

Channels available :

BBC1

BBC2

ITV1

Five

BBC Three

BBC Four

ITV 2

ITV 3

E4

More4

Fiver

Five USA

Zone Horror

Film4

True Movies

True Movies 2

Movies4Men

Movies4Men 2

Fashion TV

QVC

CBeebies

CBBC

CITV

Kix

Pop

Pop Girl

Tiny Pop

BBC News

Sky News

Euronews

BBC Parliament

BBC Sport

Eurosport

Eurosport 2

Eurosport News

Chart Show

Scuzz

NME TV

Flaunt

Bliss

Clubland TV

Or if you are going to follow the tv over the internet route you could just go here

http://www.free-tv.dk/se_live_tv_her.html

or here

http://www.viewtv.co.uk/

Some of them need Silverlight to work and so can only run in inernet explorer, but they seem to work fine.

Hello all, Did any of you buy your systems and get it installed locally to bremen? I have bought a small dish and sat finder from saturn but think the dish is too small and inferior to ick up astra 2d for english tv.

Thinking if scrapping and starting over but buying from a local reputable company who will install, but i dont speak german (yet) so finding it difficult to find any, the only one I found will not come out to bremen nord.

Julie

Julie, down in Bavaria I have good clear-weather reception with an 80cm dish (it all went pear-shaped in heavy rain, but that didnt bother me) so you should be able to get 2d on 60 cm up here, but definitely with 80cm. When I first installed my dish I tried pointing it at Astra 1 for German TV and immdiately got eastenders, so its not too difficult to find. I would recommend using a telly rather than just a SAt-finder so you can see what you get - I just used the signal strength indicator in my reciever and had no problems.

My dish in Bavaria is actually pointed at Astra 1 and "squints" at 2d with a 2nd LNB, so keep wiggling your dish, itll come eventually.

andy