Moving to a new address, what needs to be done?

9 posts in this topic

I am moving to a different address within the same city (Duesseldorf) and would like to get some advice on what needs to be done in order to be correctly registered with the different authorities.

- Since I am moving within the same city, do I need to register the new address with the city authorities? If needed, is there a deadline for doing it?

- Is the GEZ tax related to an address or is it related to a person? In other words, does one need to change his address with the GEZ?

- I own a car, do I need to change my address with the car registration authorities? If needed, is there a deadline for doing it?

- Does anyone know if Stadtwerke Duesseldorf offers to come to one's home (in this case it would be my old address) to do a meter reading before one leaves?

Thank you in advance to all those that reply with feedback.

You need to re-register your new address at your nearest Burgerbüro within 7 days. Forms here

You need to re-register your GEZ address within 30 days - You can do it online here

You need to re-register your car at the new address. - You can do it online here (but you will need to take your old papers to the Zulassungsstelle and collect new ones)

When you cancel your utilities you'll normally get a form to complete to read the meter(s) yourself on the day you leave so they can prepare the final invoice.

There's quite a decent checklist/information for moving house on the Düsseldorf city website. Googly translated here

Thank you YorkshireLad. You are the Wikipedia of moving expats! Thanks for the links.

Thank you YorkshireLad. You are the Wikipedia of moving expats! Thanks for the links.

Well, I am paying rent on my new place as of today, but apparently I cannot register the new address until I am actually living there. I have a moving van rented for the 7th. I need to get an extension on my visa this week. Will I have to go back to the Ausländeramt if they give me a visa extension with my old address listed as my official address? Thank you!

Yes. You'll need to go back and tell them you moved and show them your Meldebestätigung. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks westvan. Yeah, no big deal, but another morning at the Visa office. :-( At least there is a nice fish stall near the Rathaus, and I can get some hot Backfisch or Fisch Frikadelle there. ;-)

Well, ask them about it when you're applying for you visa this week or whenever. Maybe a phone call or an e mail would suffice. It could be that that the Einwohnermeldeamnt sends the information to the Ausländerstelle when you register at a new address.

Here's a warning for those new here, although the long termers will shake their heads. You must read the electricity meter and bring the reading to the electricity provider. Without a number from the meter, you cannot sign up for electricity. Therefore, you cannot sign up before you move in. You CAN sign up for internet service before you move in, and you probably should get on this right away, as service can take up to six weeks to be connected.