Sick and dying plants - advice needed

26 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have a plant on my balcony that is slowly dying it seems. I believe it's a "Ribes Sanguineum" or a "Blutjohannisbeer". It is taller than me (taller than 1.70m) and standing in partial shade (assuming it's sunny at all.. <_< ). I water it almost every day and yet the leaves have become all crumbled up, brown and dry. Large parts of the branches are dried up as well, I have looked for vermins or lice but have found none. It is still standing in the thin, plastic pot in which it came from the Gartencenter. The soil is always shriveled up, a consistent gap can be seen between soil and plastic container (although it gets watered regularly). Does anyone have an idea what I could do to save it?

Thanks a lot!

MajorB

if someone helps u on that front pls let me know! My office seems like autumn in here as I have so many plants in the office and as much as i do to take care of them they always wither :(

one is an orchid with no flowers on it and i have been tryin to spring it up for the past 8 months

I'm no expert, but :

The plant at least isn't suffering from over-watering, otherwise the leaves would be yellow before drying out, not brown.

This probably means, as the soil itself is shriveled, that the plant has been in the same pot for a while. When did you last re-plant it with new/fresh soil? Do you use fertilisers?

I would try and dig the plant up, shake off whatever loose soil, and exchange it for new soil, then give it a good watering with fertiliser.

If it seems much larger than the pot, try planting it in a larger pot so it has room for growth.

Also, if it's starting to die off, try pruning it back underneath the dead bits, even if some leaves are still alive.

When did you last re-plant it with new/fresh soil?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never. I only got it 3-4 months ago.

Do you use fertilisers?
I found some old fertiliser for flowers and gave it some.. has not helped.

I would try and dig the plant up, shake off whatever loose soil, and exchange it for new soil, then give it a good watering with fertiliser.

If it seems much larger than the pot, try planting it in a larger pot so it has room for growth.

Also, if it's starting to die off, try pruning it back underneath the dead bits, even if some leaves are still alive.

Thanks! Will do! I will have to wait a couple of days or so until I can find someone to help me on it. The thing is bigger than me.

one is an orchid with no flowers on it and i have been tryin to spring it up for the past 8 months

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Piss on it. Urea is a natural fertilizer :P

Plants from garden centres generally come in pots that are too small for them. I always repot straight away into a larger one (since the plant is being disturbed by transporting it and plonking it in a different place anyway). I can't say that it has always helped because the experiment never had a control, but it has never hindered and at some stage you're going to have to repot anyway.

Edit: urine is fine in the right concentration :) Ready-made fertilisers tend to smell just a little bit less though...

that plant needs total shade, it grows on north slopes

if it's in partial shade, then that'll be the problem, it's drying out.

you could try giving it a spray every morning, i suppose, but i would tend to bring it inside and stick it somewhere protected from the sun.

you have to keep your plants in places where they are happy. you can't just keep them all in the same conditions and expect them to thrive - they are just like us and each type has their different needs.

also, if she's suffering a bit, i wouldn't replant her. a lot of people (including my ex :rolleyes: ) make the mistake of putting plants in pots that are far too big for them. you could ease her very gently out of her pot - wait for about 10 minutes after you've watered her - and see if her roots are being stunted by the pot being too small. but I really think you're problem is the location.

i have tons of plants, i adore plants, but there are some i just can't buy because they like shade and i have an extremely sunny south-facing flat and an exposed balcony

if you like plants get yourself a decent textbook, btw, and learn about the specific needs of each one that you own - you'll be rewarded with nice thriving greenery.

Can you recommend any decent gardening book with basic info in it i.e. how to grow seeds, re-plant plants, prune things, and also covering the main plants, like how best to grow lavender and whatever ? :)

i had a quick look on amazon for a copy of my book, but i couldn't find it

i'll have a look when I get home and post it up

look at the website i linked here. there are tons of info about gardeniing on it.

Thanks! Hey, I didn't even know the BBC had a greenery corner and to see a pic of my plant online! Good stuff. My plant is a celebrity.

you have to keep your plants in places where they are happy. you can't just keep them all in the same conditions and expect them to thrive - they are just like us and each type has their different needs.

You mean like a "Carlos Castaneda for plants" type of thingy? ;) My balcony faces West and South, it's huge and yet I don't have a single spot that never gets sunlight. In the mornings she only gets a bit of sun (assuming it's sunny), I put her directly against the white wall, there's a small strip of shade from the roof protecting her. In the afternoons she stands in complete shade. Don't you think that sufices in shade?

I will get some help and can then check out her roots, see what the situation is like down there. I have books on plants but she doesn't feature. I normally have quite green fingers, but these German plants don't seem to like me. ;)

Once again, thanks for all the tips, I will look into all of this!

Jeeves gives good answers:

1) repot the plant, it is probably 'root bound' - just look at the bottom of the pot it came in, if you can see the roots, it's root bound.

2) check a book or website to see what the ideal conditions are for this plant

3) you have to fertilize it - once a month give it plant food, and giving it plant food intended for flowers is probably not the best idea - get something suitable for this plant. OBI has everything.

4) do not overwater it. If the soil is dry, then water it. Once a week is usually just right unless there have been endless days of sun (which we all know, just doesn't happen around here).

Did the plant not come with simple care instructions, like watering, sun/shade, soil pH etc?

Just wondering how you know it's a she...

The Beeb is excellent for gardening, although Gardeners' World hasn't been the same since Percy Thrower left :ph34r:

@jeeves

Did the plant not come with simple care instructions, like watering, sun/shade, soil pH etc?

Nope. Nothing at all, just the name and a picture of what the flowers are supposed to look like. Topsy calls plants "she". So I decided to call it a she as well. Maybe because of all the special care and attention it needs to thrive? ;)

I need some advice on my balcony plants. All of them seem to be dying from fungus-- the petals started drying out, so I watered them more, and now I realize it looks like a fungus or mold is on all of them. They are all different types: daisies, thyme, some purple and water star-shaped flowers, etc. and were all repotted not long after buying (some in clay pots, some plastic with drainage on the bottom, in potting soil for balcony plants.) They all came saying full sunshine was okay and to keep the soil moist and are on a north-facing balcony. I was watering ~ every other day, every day when it was really hot. I haven't had any of them for long.

1) Assuming the problem is fungus or mold, does this mean I was over-watered? Do you think it's safe to "start over" with new plants and the same bag of soil, or could the fungus have come from the bag of potting soil?

2) Can they be saved? (haha ha!)

3) Next time, I will water them less. But I'm afraid to under-water. How do you know when they aren't getting enough so you can water, before it's too late?

4) Since this thread is a few years old, does anyone have any updated book recommendations?

Thank you for your time, oh gardening wise-ones!

Mrs AB, the gardener in our household, swears by these, having used 'em for years (but if you buy one, don't leave it sticking in the soil as depicted in the pic - the tip will soon be electrically eroded)

I have a lot of plants inside the house and they are all dying. I am from sunny Queensland Australia, so everything pretty much just grows by itself. I am not used to heating, so am not sure whether i am watering too much, or not enough. I have noticed that some of the plants are getting mold on the soil. My Rosemary for example is drying out and getting brown tips. My bonsai has leaves that are completely dry. The flowers on my flowering plants are turning brown and dying, and my basil is limp and lifeless. The bathroom plant i checked would survive without direct light is basically leafless at this point. I have already lost chilli plants and a few other herbs, so any hints would be appreciated!