International driver's licence or permit

72 posts in this topic

Looking for the latest info on obtaining and international license. I'm going to Vancouver to take care of a friend and will need to drive her around. Her insurance told her I would need an international license. I have a German one. Problem is, we're leaving town on Monday and I will only be back in Munich for 2 days before flying out. Does anyone know if I can get one via post from  ADAC or if I will have to go pull a number at the DOV?

You've got 2 hrs... assuming you need to get to Munich

ID / Pass + 1 Photo + German License(plastic card version only)  + cash

Old style paper license means you need to convert to plastic first :(

Internationaler-Fuehrerschein

Postanschrift:

Landeshauptstadt München
Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR)
Hauptabteilung III Straßenverkehr Kraftfahrzeugzulassungs- und Fahrerlaubnisbehörde
Eichstätter Str. 2
80686 München

Öffnungszeiten:

Montag 7 bis 12 Uhr
Dienstag nur mit Termin
Mittwoch 7 bis 12 Uhr
Donnerstag 8.30 bis 13.30 Uhr
Freitag 7 bis 12 Uhr

It took a few minutes in Frankfurt, and my partner got me one (so you can send someone to do it for you, at least here). Valid for three years, which is great!

If you have a US license too, maybe you can get one at AAA across the border?

Thanks guys! 

They took my US license when I got my German one. It would have worked in British Columbia because it is in English.

Looks like I will have to pull a number and wait after all. No appointments to be made on Tuesdays until July.

Hi All Lovely TTers,

We are planning vacation in Australia during Christmas time. I wanted to know if I can drive with my German DL in Australia or do I need some kind of official translation or something like International permit?

https://www.goget.com.au/blog/driving-in-australia-overseas-license/

I have read information on few links, but I am confused now, on what to do before I fly.

And in case, if I need International License, how long does it take to get it?

Thanks!!

I have taken IDP from two places in Germany. Once in Bochum and recently in Frankfurt. In both cases, the process took less than fifteen minutes. The waiting time depends on how busy the office is. For me, in both cases, waiting was also not long because IDP and similar cases were handled separately from the regular licensing operations. Keep you license, ID, a new ID photo and money to pay. If you happen to have the old paper format license, it needs to be converted to the new format and that will add a few days to the process.

Thanks @RPC

Do you know which option to select. I have a German Card DL and I want an International Permit to drive in Australia and Indonesia.

BR.

IDL.PNG

11 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

IDL.PNG

That depends. If you have the new credit card format driving license, pick the second option. This is most likely in your case.

If you really have the older license in paper form, select the first option. In this case, it might take a few days as the license must first be converted to the new form.

Got my international permit today from Fahrerlaubnisbehörde . It was pretty quick. It look like an old paper booklet.

The irony is that the international permit is also in German :D

I thought International permit should be in English at-least? I read somewhere that to drive in Australia,

( If your license isn’t written in English, you’ll need to carry a formal English translation or an International Driving Permit. )

Have you looked at the other languages inside the booklet?

The nice thing is it's valid for three years. I got one from the US some time ago, and it was valid for just one.