International driver's licence or permit

72 posts in this topic

Thanks guys - can't wait for another trip to the KVR. <_<

SiM - in the UK it's the same - you can do it in an AA shop. Bloody bureaucracy :angry:

Since 2002 you must have a national (EU) driving license in check-card (photo) format to get an international driving license. It costs €15 in Munich, is valid for 3 years and you need to present your current driving license, passport or ID, registration of residence (not less than 2 years old, otherwise a re-confirmation that you are still living there), and passport-size photo (35x45mm). Applications are made at the driving license office of your area of residence (KVR in Munich - Eichstätter Str. 2, 80686 München, open 07:00-12:00 Mon-Fri and 14:30-16:30 on Tuesdays only). You don't need to do it in person - someone else carrying the above documents, his/her own ID and power of attorney ("Vollmacht") can do it for you. If you have the correct current license the international permit is issued on the spot. If not, then you can apply for a conversion (costs an additional €35 assuming an EU conversion) at the same time, but this takes 7-10 days to process.

I'm afraid I've gotta open up this thread again coz I'm a little confused

Ok. I've been in DE since last August and so it's 11 months that I've been here already. But in between I have been to other parts of the EU. I'm on a 13 month working visa or whatever they call it here.

Based on: http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Transport...1avalidity.html

Living in Germany

After staying in Germany for 185 days, you will be considered as an ordinary resident. If you travel abroad within this span of time, counting the days will start again from the day of your return. After these 185 days, your driving licence will no longer be considered a traveller's driving licence. You might have to obtain a German licence or a translation of your licence, depending on where it has been issued. In any case, you should apply for whatever you need at least 3 months in advance. Driving licences issued in European Union (EU) member-countries as well as Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland need not be exchanged for a German licence, as long as their period of validity has not expired. Otherwise, you have to convert your driving licence to a German one. Some U.S. states have reciprocal agreements with Germany so that licences can be converted without further testing; licences issued in some other U.S. states can be converted after only taking the written test; click below for more detailed information. If neither applies to you, you will have to take both the written and the practical test. Contact the local Traffic Office (Straßenverkehrsamt) for more information and get in touch with local driving schools, but make sure you point out that you don't need the full driving course, which is very costly, but only need to convert your licence to a German one.

So does the fact that I've been to Portugal, Italy and France count as being out of the country? And so I don't need to renew it?

Second question. My visa ends in September so assuming that I have not converted my license and I go back to my country and subsequently return here for 3 month blocks. Will they have on record that I'm still driving on an illegal license?

They don't mean "start counting again from the start", they just mean "start counting again". If you've been in Germany less than 185 days in total, then your license is valid.

I don't know about the second question, but if you properly unregister, maybe it would be possible again, especially if the next time you come in, you don't register at all because it's just a tourist trip.

Yeah well, I went vacationing to Portugal for 5 days before my 6 months was up and then Paris for 4 days. But since we're in EU, they didnt' stamp my passport or anything like that so does that mean they start counting again from when I came back from Paris?

As I understand it, that is correct. So if you have been back from your holiday now for 5 days, your license is invalid.

Applications are made at the driving license office of your area of residence (KVR in Munich - Eichstätter Str. 2, 80686 München, open 07:00-12:00 Mon-Fri and 14:30-16:30 on Tuesdays only). If you have the correct current license the international permit is issued on the spot. If not, then you can apply for a conversion (costs an additional €35 assuming an EU conversion) at the same time, but this takes 7-10 days to process.

OK, so I just set up a trip to Dubai, UAE. Problem is, I don't have time to get an International Drivers' License per above. Since I leave this Sunday already! Anyone know of any options? Or been to Dubai with a German or US license (I have both), and no International translation?

Since 2002 you must have a national (EU) driving license in check-card (photo) format to get an international driving license. It costs €15 in Munich, is valid for 3 years and you need to present your current driving license, passport or ID, registration of residence (not less than 2 years old, otherwise a re-confirmation that you are still living there), and passport-size photo (35x45mm). Applications are made at the driving license office of your area of residence (KVR in Munich - Eichstätter Str. 2, 80686 München, open 07:00-12:00 Mon-Fri and 14:30-16:30 on Tuesdays only). You don't need to do it in person - someone else carrying the above documents, his/her own ID and power of attorney ("Vollmacht") can do it for you. If you have the correct current license the international permit is issued on the spot. If not, then you can apply for a conversion (costs an additional €35 assuming an EU conversion) at the same time, but this takes 7-10 days to process.

hi everyone.. has anyone any experience of getting an international driving license in germany recently? or know where in berlin i might get one.

my situation is that i'm from england but living in berlin and need an international license for when i go to india in about 4 weeks time. there were some mentions that ADAC might help me out (as the AA do in england).. any stories to pass on?

all help appreciated!

or know where in berlin i might get one.

Try here.

Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten

- Führerscheinbüro -

Puttkamerstr. 16-18

10958 Berlin

Telefon:(030) 90269-230

The link tells you what you need to take with you and it says your EU driver's license needs to be in the new credit card form. If it isn't you have to switch it over first in order to get an internaltional license.

thanks for the tip mate but no joy. my german girlfriend called them today and they said it's not possible, not even for her either as her license is from NRW.

going to do some research to see if one is really needed in india for a motorbike or scooter.. otherwise i've got a bit of a mission on to get one out of the AA in england.

cheers

You can get an International Driving Permit to support your UK driving license by post from the AA and you will need one for a motorcycle. You simply need to send them copies of your license and passport, along with your application form, photos, a return envelope and the necessary fee. You'll need a "1949 Convention IDP" for India. The AA add a surcharge of £5 (£22 if you want a faster courier service) to send your IDP to you in Germany. Like you your girlfriend will have to apply for an IDP from the same authority that issued her license

Thanks Yorkshire, yeah I read all that information last night. There's two barriers to this process unfortunately. 1. I don't have a cheque book and that's the only payment method AA accept and 2. they only post the IDP to the address on the driving license.

So, I'd have to post my application to someone in England with a cheque book who can then forward it to the AA, then get the AA to courier it back to my flat in Manchester, then have my flatmate send it to Germany asap. It's not insurmountable by any means but with 4 postal steps in 4 weeks, the costs of that and the costs of the license itself, I'm going to spend 24-28 hours to see if it's really necessary. I'm going to call the AA and check on their postal policy too, maybe they would send it straight out here.

Cheers

Now that I've given up my Texas license for the German one I find myself in a new predicament. We are headed to Florida in September and in order to rent a car I have read that I/we will need an international driver's license if our current license is not in English. Has anyone heard of this and where do I get such a license?

EDIT:

From Budget's Website:

Non-U.S. and non-Canadian residents are required to present a valid driver’s license and a passport from their home country. If the information on your driver’s license is not written in the classic Latin Alphabet, you must also present an International Driving Permit.

but also -

European Union (EU) residents renting in the EU must either present an International Driving Permit along with the driver’s license from their home country or instead they may just present their EU driver’s license.

From Enterprise:

International Renters (Renting in the US or Canada):

License must be issued from the Country of Residence.

License may not be expired.

International Drivers Permit required if the License is not in English.

Must be inspected at the time of rental.

I might have to just call them and ask but it looks like Budget is easier to work with.

Hmm.. interesting. I just don't want to end up there not being prepared and unable to rent a car. I have the newer credit card style DL. I think it has the EU symbol but I don't know that it's considered an EU driver's license. This is all so confusing!

You get it from your local Führerscheinstelle, it costs only 15 EUR. If you had an old driving license you will be requested to change it to the new format first, but that's not a problem for you.

I think you do not need it, but 15 EUR won't hurt and you will get your peace of mind.

Hi,

Hope someone can advise me.

I am from Singapore and will be staying in Germany for 6 month.

I hold a car driving license and have obtain an international driving permit before I leave my country.

I would like to ride a motorcycle less than 50cc in Germany.

Understand that anything under 50cc doesn't require any special license as it’s covered under the standard cars class.

Please advise whether I can ride a motorcycle under 50cc in Germany using my Singapore car driving license.

If I need to change and obtain a German driving license. Where can I do that in Ludenscheid area?

Thank you

Welcome to Toytown, 76hobenkyong

If your Singaporean driving license states that it permits you to ride motorcycles under 50cc then you should be able to do so in Germany, subject to the approval of whoever owns the motorcycle you intend to ride. AFAIK, only if you were to stay in Germany for more than 6 months would you have to exchange your license and then definitely before you had been here for 12 months. The law governing the issuing of driving licenses is caled FeV 2010 and Section 31 in conjunction with Annexe 11 applies to issuing German DLs to holders of DLs issued by non-EU or EEA states. Here are links to

the FeV 2010 index, Section 31 (along with a Yoda English translation from Google) and Annexe 11:

FeV 2010: Driving License Issuing Law of Germany

FeV 2010: Section 31 Issue of Driving License to holders of non-EU License

Google Translated : FeV 2010: Section 31 Issue of Driving License to holders of non-EU License

FeV 2010: Annexe 11 - List of States - Endorsement Codes & Special Conditions

Should need to exchange your DL in Ludenscheid you'd do it here: Straßenverkehrsamt des Märkischen Kreises (KFZ-Angelegenheiten) If you click on 'Details einblenden' you will see a list of 'Führerscheinangelegenheiten' (driving license matters) and, according to the advice on the webpage, you should make an appointment online (by use of the 'Termin buchen' button) to avoid wasting half a day waiting.

Drive, or ride, with care - road traffic laws and driving habits are likely to be very different from what you're used to.

2B

If your Singaporean driving license states that it permits you to ride motorcycles under 50cc then you should be able to do so in Germany,

It is quite possible, that you don't need a license to ride a bike under 50cc in Singapore. Then it doesn't contain any permission to ride such bikes because it's already permitted. So, it's a tricky question. I'd speculate that since you have a car license, then you can ride a bike just like with German license. But a lawyer can say otherwise.