International driver's licence or permit

72 posts in this topic

no clue at all! from what i take on it the int'l permit though is only as good as your home country one or as good as germany allows non-german license to be good (i think it's 3-6 months. i know us you can get extended for up to a total of 1 yr if you prove you're leaving the country at the end of that year.. or somethign like that perhaps it's 6 months), but from what i gather the int'l one is only good for a certain amount of time, but should be fine for when you visit other countries. but the german one is good too when you're visiting neighboring countries... who knows!

International licence is useless in Germany.

They only ask for the original licence which is valid for 6 months from your date of registration in Germany.

As mere pointed out above, it can be extended for another 6 months only if your contract is for a total of one year or less.

I found this in the meantime:

Umschreibung einer ausländischen Fahrerlaubnis - Anlage 11-Staaten (ohne USA und Kanada)

It applies to the following nationalities:

Andorra, Französisch-Polynesien, Guernsey, Insel Man, Israel, Japan, Jersey, Kroatien, Monaco, Neukaledonien, San Marino, Schweiz, Singapur, Südafrika, Südkorea (=Republik Korea), Taiwan

It reads to me that it's a conversion, but no mention of having to take tests. My German ain't 100% perfect. Hope it really just means a direct exchange, no tests! *HOPEFUL*

Haven't got time to go down to the Polizei still...

Well, it looks like you are in the same category as Israel. Do a search of the forum, an Israeli recently wrote about her experiences in getting a german licence.

if you do have an american drivers license you can transfer it for the cost of the translation and about forty euros, i think this applies to most states, i think. i did my canadian drivers license and it cost me a total of eighty euros which compared to the price of a normal german license is nothing. usually it ranges at about 1600 to get a license here. the place to get info is adac. they know all. unfortunately to do this you have to be a registered resident of germany, because the drivers license people are designated by what city you live in, and you can only use the ampt if you are registered in that city.

Well, it looks like you are in the same category as Israel. Do a search of the forum, an Israeli recently wrote about her experiences in getting a german licence.

I remember reading that, it was quite a story (hope zimmer doesn't end up tearing her hair out).

I emailed a German friend the

Umschreibung einer ausländischen Fahrerlaubnis - Anlage 11-Staaten (ohne USA und Kanada). Hopefully he replies soon, or if anyone out there with better German than I to :)

I searched "Israel", "Israeli", "driving". Nothing. Do you remember if it was "hidden" in some other thread?

It was in "Life in Munich" and entitled - wait for it - "2 x €16 to validate that "B" is "B". You'll have to look it up yourself, sorry, didn't manage to post the link.

Good luck.

As far as I understand an "international driving licence" is just a translation of the licence you have. You will need both your original and the international licence if stopped by the police or renting a car etc.

@tigress: the international driving permit & your original DL is NOT sufficient here, as i heard (and you read these posts). i thought like you before because that's what the AA says back home when you get it. BUT there is this "abide by your residency law in Germany" so from what i'm reading, you need to get a German DL if you intend to live here past 6 months. the international DL is not valid. you can rent a car, no problem but driving?! pray you don't get into any accident. i heard the horror story of an American woman kept in police custody for not having the German DL!

if you do have an american drivers license you can transfer it for the cost of the translation and about forty euros, i think this applies to most states, i think.

Nope, this applies for some states. Others only have to do half the German procedure, and yet others (and unfortunately mine) require the full German deal.

I have de-registered and am no longer in Germany. But as I am working for the same company, the possibility exists that I may be back some day. While I was in Germany, I farted around and missed the deadline by which you can switch your US license over without taking any tests. If I come back, my FIRST order of business will be to get my US license switched over. Otherwise it will mean going to driving school, taking a written test AND taking a road test. All total about 2000 euros (maybe more?). No thanks. :huh:

The BBC is reporting (see here) that a desision has been made to create a single European driving licence which will replace the dozens of different types across the EU. This is subject to final approval, but it means that the existing national licences will be phased out between 2012 and 2035.

It is unclear whether this will mean that driving endorsements will be carried over from one country to the next.

i thought we already had that (sans microchip)?

post-21-1143471099.gif

i know it's mandatory for all new applications, but not for those with the old skool license. i usually respect the BBC, but that article is misleading.

Some countries have something similar, but it's not standardised (it's called a "model") and it's not compulsory. The new rules will make it both...

I need an International Drivers Licence. I've read all the discussion above about what it's for. I still need one.

Someone mentioned you can get them at ADAC. Does that mean I just wander in with my UK licence and ask nicely? Or do I need more docs? Have had a look at the ADAC site and not much use.

All help gratefully received :)

Getting them at ADAC would be far too easy. Unless they've changed the rules in the last two years (and even if they have changed them they're hardly likely to have relaxed them) you have to go to the KFZ-Zulassungs place in Eichstätter Strasse (given that you live in Munich City - I can't find a link now although I'm sure I posted one some while back), present your national driving licence, fill out a few forms, pay them a few euros, wait a few hours, and hey presto.

strange. I would have thought ADAC do it. :unsure:

When I got one back in Ireland for a trip to the USA I just went into the AA shop and got one.