International driver's licence or permit

72 posts in this topic

Is there anyone out there with an international drivers licence and was it difficult? Or any other suggestions to cheaply acquire one here (I'm from the U.S. obviously -- VT to be exact).

My mom bought one for $4 before she came out to visit me, but I honestly don't see what the purpose is. Your driver's license is perfectly valid out here (unless you're staying longer than 6 months). Are you just visiting or will you be staying long term?

Ive been here for 5 1/2 months and plan on being here for 1 more year! Just learned how to drive a stick too...not as bad as I thought. ha.

Ah, too bad you're already here. Vermont does not have a reciprocal agreement with Germany, so you'd have to do tests and fork out at least 1000 EUR to get a license. Had you just driven to Massachusetts and gotten a license there before coming here, you'd just be able to trade it in for a German one (I had the same problem, as I'm from California, and we don't have a reciprocal agreement either - but Arizona does :().

Theres someone in my german class from Cali and he said he just sent away for it and as long as you have a perfect driving record and your licence for more than 1 year and 60 bucks...your golden. hmmm. sounded too good to be true.

If you're staying that long, you'll have to get a German driver's license. The international one won't be valid for more than 6 months from the point you arrived in Germany. For info on getting a German driving license, see these links:

German driver's license - How to get one

...and various others, just do a search.

I honestly have no idea what purpose those international driver's licenses have or if they are considered sufficient. I would guess not, but then that would be a guess.

Edit: Ok, question answered above, which was what I suspected. You'd be better off travelling home for a visit and picking up a license in one of the states with a reciprocal agreement.

No problem!

Just one suggestion, though. Stuff like this has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum before, so next time use the search function up in the upper right corner to check before asking. You might catch us in a grumpy mood and get bitten. ;)

haha. thanks for the advice. im totally new to this. didnt even know i had a profile...

For future reference, an international driver's licence is only a multi-language copy of your regular licence. It holds no benefits over your regular licence.

For future reference, an international driver's licence is only a multi-language copy of your regular licence. It holds no benefits over your regular licence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It holds no benefits in Germany or Europe, it's true, but it is necessary in some countries or authorities that won't or don't accept your standard licence unless it's backed up by the international one. I've needed an international licence (in tandem with my normal one) to be able to rent cars in former Russian states, UAE and China.

YL6

Okay, yes, I was going to add, it makes it easier to rent cars and to be given tickets.

It holds no benefits in Germany or Europe, it's true, but it is necessary in some countries or authorities that won't or don't accept your standard licence unless it's backed up by the international one. I've needed an international licence (in tandem with my normal  one) to be able to rent cars in former Russian states, UAE and China.

YL6

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably because those places use a different character set and don't necessarily understand what you have written on your native drivers license. As a poster has mentioned above, this is what the international drivers license is for.

Kileo

If you've already anmelded, then it's already too late for you to go to Mass and get a Mass drivers License. You will have to do the German test and get a German drivers license. The advantage is that you will not have to give up your VT one as you've earned the German one separatley.

You would need a international Drivers licnese if you gave up your mass one for a german one and then went back to the states to rent a car. Some rental agencies in the states will not accept a german drives license, only an international one.

You can get your german driver licnese inernationalised at ADAC for a fee.

Good luck!

Not necessarily true, Bumpy. I know people who've done it. They don't always look closely at those dates. It's certainly worth a try first, before spending the big bucks to get a German one.

Hi, I got an International Driving Permit issued from the Automobile Association in Singapore. It is for use outside home. It also states that it's valid for ONE year, nothing about being invalid should I take up residency in the country outside home. The International Driving Licence issued in USA is differently worded, to the effect of it being invalid upon taking up residency in that country.

I did a search "International + Driving" here but found nothing. Before I go to the Polizei to clarify, I'd like to see if anyone here have similar experience. So my questions are:

- Is anyone else using an international driver's permit here?

- Does anyone know if an international driving licence that's valid as it is stated be used in Germany in "replacement" of the expensive conversion to a German driver licence?

- If I can't use the permit in Germany because of the residency issue, I can use this whenever I'm at the neighbouring countries, oder?

Thanks!

Topics merged by admin