Making friends in Frankfurt - come and join us!

174 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ronni. My husband and I have moved here from Ireland a year ago and have found it very hard to meet English speaking people. We would be delighted to meet new people who enjoy movies, good food, the occasional drink and interesting conversations. I know this seems a bit weird, but we've been somewhat lonely here this past year.. :-(

Hope this works otherwise i'll have to kill my husband for bringing me here.. :-)

Hi Ronni. My name is Chris. I share your feeling. Been here in Bad Homburg now for 2 years, and also find it hard to meet English speaking people. I would be more than happy to meet you and your husband. No need for us to feel lonely :-)

Hey Chris,

Great to hear that there are other people like us out there.. now how do we do this? (never been on a friends' blind date before.. :-)

Hi Chris and Ronni,

If you don't mind, I'd like to join you. I've been here since October 2009 and while I have many English speaking friends - they are all Master's students like me and none of them are native speakers. It's time to diversify!

-Kristen

Hi Kirsten. I don't mind at all. It is time for me to meet more people that ain't working with me. :-) I am however not a native English speaker. I come from South Africa, and my first language is actually Afrikaans.

Chris,

The most important thing is that you still fall into the "diversity" category. I don't mind non-native speakers at all. The biggest issue is all of my friends and I share the same classes. That means we're all stressed at the same time haha and are all having the same type of Frankfurt "student" experience.

Ronni,

Just let me know what you guys decide on and I will definitely come as long as I don't have class/work conflicts.

Hey Guys,

So we decided to meet at Yours Australian Bar in Frankfurt Next Saturday, Jan 22nd at 19:30.

All are welcome to join us, just let me know by Thursday so I can reserve a table.

For those coming with a car, the address is:

Rahmhofstr. 2-4

(Schillerpassage)

60313 Frankfurt

(you can park either at Schillerpassage Parkhaus or in the MyZeil Parkhaus)

Hope to get to know a lot of new friends there

Cheers,

Ronni

I've been in Frankfurt-Nied since 2001, so if anyone's ever in the area maybe we could meet up for a beer or 2 ... assuming I'm actually there, of course :ph34r:

Hi everyone,

hadn't logged into 'Toytown' for ages and just stumbled across this thread!

If work-wise nothing comes up to interfere, I'd also love to join you guys for a drink on Saturday!

Will be so great to speak some english again!

looking forward,

Louise.

Hey all. I arrived in Frankfurt on tuesday, I met up with a few expats on friday which was great as I know no one here.

Im always keen to make new friends so if anyone wants to arrange something im keen to join. I saw someone is from SA, Im also from SA, although i can speak Afrikaans Im from a town just south of durban called Amanzimtoti so im english.

Gary

Hi Guys,

so nice to see that new people have joined my mission to find new friends.... :D

hope to see many of you next Saturday at the Australian Bar. Just let me know how many of you are coming so we can have a big enough table to accomodate all the drinks... :P

See you then.

Cheers,

Ronni

Hi All!

I am actually from Germany, but lived in Canada for 16 years. I have been back in Germany for 3 months now, and am also trying to find some new friends. Sadly I won't be able to make it next Saturday, but the next time you all get together I would love to join! Looking forward to meeting you!

unfortunantly my previous plans made with another expat group for friday has been moved to saterday now and dont want to let them down. It is a group of expats that normally get together for a few drinks and a catch up on fridays, this friday is there 3 year anniversary and are planning on renting some train thing for 2 hours and split the cost amongst all who go. Im not sure if this will appeal to you guys and keen to join them, I met them for the first time on friday and they are a really great bunch of people. Their group is called " Friday Night Drink Club " and can be found on this forum but details about saterday are on Facebook, search for " FNDC " and its the first group that comes up.

Other wise i'd like to meet you guys the next time you get together.

I know absolutly no one here so if any one ever wants to get together for a coffee or drink anytime just get in touch.

Cheers

Gary

Ronni...

I know exactly how you feel. Been in Frankfurt for about 5 months now and the friend-making process has been slow going, especially outside of the work crew.

There's a chance that I may be in Luxembourg this coming weekend, but, if I'm not, I'll definitely join you guys. :)

--Brian

Hello also to all the other expats :-). I see a couple of you who wants to join, but cannot do so this Saturday. Ronni, it might be a good idea to have this on a more regular basis. This way we can meet more people :-)

Chris

Hi Roni,

Count me and my husband in, we will try to be there on time, work and traffic permitting!

Thanks for organizing this and we look forward to seeing you all!

J