Discrimination in nightclubs/bars in Cologne

84 posts in this topic

I'm very sorry to hear this! Maybe what kobe said about the bouncers could be an explanation.

I also would recommend what kobe's friend did (writing a polite e-mail to the manager).

I'm not sure how showing people an American passport is supposed to convince them you won't make any trouble.

Yeah im going to see if i can write a email to management and see if this does anything.

The reason that i have tried showing an American passport because after researching this a little more i have heard that the reason that they dont let Africans, Turkish or people of color in is because we are apparently known to go into these places and start fights or trouble.

A club is in the business of making money there is no reason not to let us in unless the risks outweigh the benefits. I figured that if i distinguished myself a little from the population that was known to be causing the problems it would help... but apparently not.

Were the girls German? (Giving some details to the bouncers by the girls might help.)

Welcome to the bounce scene in Cologne.

Most bouncers in Cologne are either Turkish or Albanian, and many of them are indeed racist. Just keep your cool, most places with such bouncers aren't worth it anyways. Good luck!

Try Bonn or Düsseldorf next time.

I am West Indian American citizen (black person) from New York City that decided to move to Koeln, Germany for a change of pace of life. I came here to learn German and be with my German girlfriend who i met in NYC back in November of 2009.

This sounds familiar. You used to have a red Subaru, right?

Sorry to hear you're having these problems.

This sounds familiar. You used to have a red Subaru, right?

Sorry to hear you're having these problems.

Yep thats me bro.

Yeah its a pretty crappy situation. Ive went out in Dusseldorf twice so far with girls and no problems but who wants to drive 35 minutes away when I practically live in center of Cologne.

I dont think this post will do anything but at least it will be searchable and will hopefully serve as a warning to anyone of color who wants to move here. I wish i knew this before moving here... I might have thought twice.

Why do you want to go into clubs like that?

"I wouldnt go to any club that would have me as a member"

groucho marx

bouncers ususally don't let a white guy with three black chicks into an all black club either.

aww,i'm sorry to hear about that and i seriously feel ashamed being a german!so much for "multikulti" then eh?

hope writing an email will help sorting out the situation!

aww,i'm sorry to hear about that and i seriously feel ashamed being a german!so much for "multikulti" then eh?

hope writing an email will help sorting out the situation!

Never feel ashamed, Cymru ( despite your Welsh name ! ) :D about what other people do, even if they´re from the same country. Feel ashamed of yourself if you behave stupidly. ( I know what you mean, though. I used to go through those pangs ). Each individual is responsible for their own actions, behaviour. Collective guilt does not exist if you examine yourself. Took me bloody ages to work that out . For example, it´s my own fault I have toothache tonight ( keep postponing dental visit...eating peanuts..)!

Ah, the club scene in cologne is pretty good I think. With the exception of all clubs located on the Ring (Das Ding, Nachtflug, diamonds, crystal, petit prince, loom and what else) plus cent club and Roonburg . They attract the crappiest crowd in whole town, so maybe it is not that bad they didn't let you in ;)

there is also much trouble with drunken people around that area - I would avoid it totally - though I wouldn't say they're racist - I've seen quite some black people walking in some of the aforementioned clubs, it is probably more the "ah, we never saw you here, you don't belong to the in-scene". if you really want to get in, it may help to go early or late.

Go elsewehere, like Subway or 672 or Papierfabrik or stecken where the crowd is more relaxed and you don't have to dress to impress.

btw - go to bonn? Ha, ha, there is no club scene in Bonn. (with the exception of the ok Blow up which is more a bar) and Nachtschicht and Carpe noctem being quite lame. And Duesseldorf can be pretty "racist" as well...

Thanks for the additional recommendations everyone... Thank god i do have some friends here in Germany to go out with or else i would have no idea what to do. As i said im going to fire off an email to club management at some of the clubs mentioned and tell them my experience.

You know these nightclubs are so lucky there isnt a group or some place i can file a complaint with.

This kind of behavior would NEVER fly in America.

Damn man. I'm sorry to hear that's going on. I'm of color. Well, sort of. My mom is from the Philippines and my dad is your typical white guy from the midwest. Funny thing is 1/3 of the people think I'm hispanic, some think I'm white and the other think I'm some mixture of middle eastern. Usually doesn't bother me, but it would suck big time if I'm discriminated against for it.

Thanks for the insight though. The clubs I want to go to are a good hour away from where I'll be living, so I'll be sure to stock my trunk up with a little bit extra just in case. An extra button up shirt, slacks, shoes and various other things that might be needed. With the price of gas, I don't want to told I can't go in.

Well I am an american and brown skinned and never have a problem. I do know though that often bouncers will not let in american military personal because of previous problems. Now I would like to say that that is uncalled for but have too often seen american military personal cause issues with patrons. It breaks my heart to say that.