Moving to Hohenfels area with pets

9 posts in this topic

Hello, my wife and I along with our 2 year old son are moving to the Hohenfels area next month, and I have a question. is there a limit on the number of pets you can have there? we have 3 pomeranians and a cat. I am not active duty, so i will not have government housing...I dont know if that makes a difference or not...

also, any other tips for moving to the area would be great

thanks!

Rich

You will need to locate a landlord who is ok with pets. This can be difficult though I can't speak specifically for the Hohenfels area. Germany doesn't have a limit on pets but landlords set their own rules in this particular matter.

Plenty of my former colleagues at Hohenfels have dogs and cats, so it's probably not as big a problem as it is in other parts of Germany. It will limit your choices somewhat, but not prohibitively.

Hohenfels has so little on-post housing that most officers and senior non-commissioned officers with families live off-post, so the local landlords are thoroughly used to us and our packs of hounds B)

Other bit of free advice: if you like civilization, you're in for a commute. Amberg is 40 km from post, Regensburg and Neumarkt (Neumarkt i. d. Opf. or Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz - there are dozens of "Neumarkts" in Germany) are a bit closer (depending on the part of town). If you're doing a rentals search ahead of time, Parsberg (pop. 5,000) and Velburg (pop. 2,500) are closer to post and still have shops. Hohenfels itself does not, and note that the usual on-post stuff has limited hours compared to larger installations.

The housing office on post is reasonably helpful if you want to live close to post. If you want to live in one of the three actual cities I named (and Amberg and Neumarkt are at the bottom boundary of what I'd call "city"), you're going to be a bit more on your own. In Amberg, Maklers (real estate agents) are often a necessary evil if you want a decent-sized house at a reasonable monthly rate.

Happy to answer any further questions about working on and living near this little piece of wilderness...

Used to live in Velburg-Lengenfeld back in 2001 when I worked in Hohenfels. As Texmandie said, pets should not be a problem, but that solely depends on the landlord. While at Hohenfels, don't let the small village blues get you down. Get out and explore the surrounding area. You have the scenic Altmühltal (Altmühl River Valley), Regensburg (capital of the Oberpfalz with 100,000+ inhabitants), Straubing (Gäubodenvolksfest, 2nd largest fest in Bavaria after Oktoberfest, usually in August), Amberg (once the capital of the Oberpfalz area) Ingolstadt (Ingolstadt Village shopping center and Audi HQ) and last but not least, the county seat Neumarkt i. d. OPf. (NM license plates). Enjoy your tour of duty.

Hi. I'm new to this Forum. My family (husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats) will be moving to Hohenfels in the next two months. He's going first. Any advice? Are ya'll still living there? I see this post is very old.

Hi Bearpaw,

I used to work for the department of defense many years ago and therefore lived and worked there.

If you don't have a car in Hohenfels and close surrounding areas, you will not get anywhere. There is no train connection and besides an occasional bus you are stuck there. As far as I know there are no stores there and your only shopping is on post at the PX and shoppette, a couple of fast food places and that's pretty much it.

The closest connection to a train is in Parsberg, a few kilometers away, or Amberg, which is a bit further. The same goes for shopping.

My advice regarding housing is concerned is either a commute from Regensburg to Hohenfels (approx. 45 min.) or living in Amberg (approx. 30min.? I believe).

The only drawback with Regensburg is that this city has a shortage of housing due to large student population and is trying to built more. It could take you a while to find a place there.

Amberg is quite inexpensive regarding rent and has a good selection downtown regarding shopping.

Anything else is too far away, or the other villages are just too small in that particular area.

Safe travels to Germany!

Hi Bearpaw,

I used to work for the department of defense many years ago and therefore lived and worked there.

If you don't have a car in Hohenfels and close surrounding areas, you will not get anywhere. There is no train connection and besides an occasional bus you are stuck there. As far as I know there are no stores there and your only shopping is on post at the PX and shoppette, a couple of fast food places and that's pretty much it.

The closest connection to a train is in Parsberg, a few kilometers away, or Amberg, which is a bit further. The same goes for shopping.

My advice regarding housing is concerned is either a commute from Regensburg to Hohenfels (approx. 45 min.) or living in Amberg (approx. 30min.? I believe).

The only drawback with Regensburg is that this city has a shortage of housing due to large student population and is trying to built more. It could take you a while to find a place there.

Amberg is quite inexpensive regarding rent and has a good selection downtown regarding shopping.

Anything else is too far away, or the other villages are just too small in that particular area.

Safe travels to Germany!

I start a job in Hohenfels next Thursday. I dont own a car and am having trouble finding a way to get to Hohenfels. There is a small van service running between the cities but it only runs three times a day and the times dont match my working times. If there is anyone traveling from Regensburg, Parsburg, or any city in between to Hohenfels Please let me know. I would be very interested in a carpool and will help pay for gas. I would also consider moving to Neu Markt if there is someone driving from there. Lastly if anyone knows of any cheap apartments or rooms for rent please let me know. Thank You

garmon_corey@yahoo.com