Taking full shopping bags into supermarkets

165 posts in this topic

I always knew when emigrating here (it's my third day) that there would be some obscure cultural aspects that weren't immediately apparent. I think I may have found my first example.

I just got bollocked by the supermarket cashier in penny markt because I dared to walk in with a full bag that was branded emarkt supermarket. She asked me to leave it at the front door. As if, I wasn't having any of that at all. I'm baffled though - the 2 supermarkets in question are about 15 metres apart. I currently speak barely a word of German and even I know they both exist, never mind someone whose mother tongue is German.

Surely this isn't normal. You'd hardly get Ryanair refusing to let you on their plane because your carry on luggage had a frequent flyer lufthansa tag attached to it.

Is this normal, or did I just have a weird experience?

you sure that's wot they said if your German is shite?

I reckon it's a weird experience. stop shopping there, sod 'em :)

I don't know, when I went shopping this week I went to a local shopping centre and returned to the car between Aldi and real. I thought to myself I may have problems if I go into another supermarket with a bag full of shopping purchased elsewhere. I mean it would be tricky for them to see that the shopping in the bags was purchased elsewhere and not stolen from the shelves.

It certainly doesn't sound like the fact it was a rival supermarket bag, but the fact you were taking shopping in to the supermarket.

I find it quite normal here that when reaching the checkout of a supermarket the assistants are careful to check your shopping bags and trolly to see they are empty before you pack them. Some shops even have mirrors above the checkout for this purpose.

Further to the rival store bag thing, I always take my old plastic bags with me when I go shopping and they're invariably from other stores. I have never had a problem at the checkout when I whip it out and start packing it.

I can confirm that it was *nothing* to do with what was printed on the bag. At our local Edeka people leave the stuff they've bought somewhere else at the cashier when they come in so there's no fuss or bother about where it came from. Very normal here.

Yeh, I thought this had died out (travelling in eastern Europe recently, I got pulled up in several countries becuase it is is still done - as is its close relative: that thing of requiring you to have a basket - but I am completely out of the habit after years here).

But clearly may be one or two individual places feel the need to do it - perhaps based on individual problems. As the other posters say though, I am very well aware that taking a shopping bag into some supermarkets is going to raise an eyebrow and I may well be expected to open it at checkout etc.

Yes, it is normal here not to walk into a store with bags full of stuff from another store, and if you have a lot of stuff already, you generally leave it by the tills - the reason being that it keeps things nice and clear for both sides as regards shoplifting.

Theoretically, if you walk in with lots of "full" bags, and walk out again with them, having decided not to buy anything, then it could be that something has "accidentally" slipped into one of the bags, and then it all gets very complicated.

My best advice on this would be just to leave the bag by the till and do your shopping.

To the OP, wait until you go shopping in Saturn or Media Markt. There they have lockers where you have to leave any bags you have with you.

it happened to me too at HIT, had my stroller's shopping basket full with stuff from other shop, and at the cashier i was told that next time i should leave goods from other shops at the bag counter. the 'next time' turned out to be a few days later when i again came into the supermarket with goods from other shop, but this time i stuffed them in my diaper bag, as i was too lazy to go to the bag counter :-P the cashier this time didn't notice my bulging diaper bag and i safely left the supermarket without hassle this time. yippe.

PS The only reason I know what she was on about, was because I had to stop her at full throttle to ask her if she spoke english. She didn't, but a faintly embarrassed 50 something next to me obliged with a translation. I wouldn't have done it, but emarkt didn't have any razors.

My best advice on this would be just to leave the bag by the till and do your shopping.

This presumes that the cashier/ other customers aren't cleptos. Trust: it goes both ways. ;)

While unlikely in Germany, what happens if say something IS taken from your bag which is left unattended, if there are no lockers? Who is responsible if my brand new Wolfskin fleece gets nabbed while shopping in Edeka?

Penny market is the most notorious of them all, I never go there any more...unless its my last resort!!

I think there are differences between shops; maybe discounters are more distrusting, but in Rewe supermarkets where I do most of the shopping it is not a problem to walk in with full bags. I keep the receipts from other shops just in case.

I am trying to work out how anyone would think it is normal to go into a supermarket with shopping from another supermarket.

If you have no car, its not unusual to go to different supermarkets to buy different stuff, since we know you hardly get everything you need in one supermarket here. So yea people forget I suppose...

If I have a big bag of stuff, I will ask a cashier if it is ok to leave it at the desk. Mlovett, I know your low opinion of Germany and the Germans, but funnily enough I would feel safer leaving something at the door here than I would in Ireland.

And I think anyway, if someone feels the need to steal my shopping, they are probably very badly off. It has never ever once happened here in the 31 years I have been here. I think my trust is grounded for the most part.

I do remember a while back that I had not emptied out my shopping bag fully and found an item that I had bought some days before. I was annoyed at myself and said that I guessed I would have to pay for it again. The cashier believed me ..... Happy me.

Further to the rival store bag thing, I always take my old plastic bags with me when I go shopping and they're invariably from other stores. I have never had a problem at the checkout when I whip it out and start packing it.

Indeed. I, in fact, consciously choose to bring a bag from another store (or use my much-loved half-sized IKEA blue bag) as I found if I take a Rewe bag into Rewe, it seems to come into question if I really brought it with me or if I nicked it to save that 20 cents. :rolleyes:

I mean, really! If I was in the least bit price-conscious and wanting to save a bit of cash, Rewe would be nearly the last place I would shop (with only Tengelmann managing to be more expensive.)