English speaking dentists that use Nitrous Oxide

22 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I am in desperate need of a good english speaking dentist who uses Nitrous. I have had way too many horrible experiences with dentists here as they never give me enough anesthesia and I end up in excruciating pain.

Can anyone recommend a dentist who uses gas in addition to a local/general anesthetic?

Thank you!

I've been told numerous times by dentists that Lachgas is only for kids, that it's not approved for use on adults. This drove me nuts. I don't know if it is actually true or if the dentists were just trying to tell me to stop being such a baby.

Your best bet is to get all the work done at one go under general anesthesia. Dr. Weller, who advertises on TT, seems quite nice (I had one consult with him) and he promises pain-free solutions. So maybe check him out.

Or just get a bunch of whipped cream chargers and a balloon...

Seriously though, even in America I never had a dentist as an adult who would use gas, so I reckon here in the land of homeopathy its a pipe dream.

In California at least, dentists with nitrous are a dime a dozen. It's actually a big competitive selling point there. Perhaps that is just a Cali thing though... in Texas, I reckon the dentists just have a big bottle of Jack and some rusty pliers. ;)

In California you can buy medical marijuana from a vending machine.

In Texas you can buy nitrous at a head shop and dose yourself legally.

California wins... this once.

I don't know about Germany, but back home, in advance of a serious procedure, my dentist gave me a prescription for a couple tablets of Lorazepam, to be taken on the way to the dentist office. It was a tremendous help.

Your best bet is to get all the work done at one go under general anesthesia. Dr. Weller, who advertises on TT, seems quite nice (I had one consult with him) and he promises pain-free solutions. So maybe check him out.

Dr Weller is great, he's my dentist and I am a huge wuss, but perhaps not worth a trip from Berlin?

Having work done under total knock-out is however brilliant for those with real dental fear - the dentist can get on with their work and you're off in the happy place. Had a lot of work done in one go that way, was really the best choice for me.

And yes, consider pre-ops and tranquillisers, the pain described seems more anxiety-related than dental butchery and they could really help.

There actually ARE dentists in Berlin who use gas, the problem is that the one I know of is on vacation and the other one is actually outside of Berlin and pretty far away. But I guess it definitely is not common and is going to be a bit difficult to find a replacement.

Thanks for the general anesthesia suggestion, I might just do that as a last resort. I sort of want to be aware of what they are doing, though. I have had too many issues with dentists here. Not sure I just want to be asleep. I am afraid I would wake up with all of my teeth gone. :)

A WHIP IT sounds good right now...hmmm... :)

p.s.

I am from New York and there are hundreds of dentists who use gas on adults. I used to love going to the dentist because they would crank the gas up so high that I felt like I was flying.

Sunshine, you won't be aware of what they are doing if you are on gas. I can still remember being on gas to have teeth pulled as a kid. I have no idea if they gave me a local anesthetic too, but I have never forgotten the freaky, hallucinatory visions I had while still feeling intense pain in my mouth. They must have had to hold my arms down, as I recall pulling at my mouth with a nightmare picture of a giant dam with bladelike waterworks going through my mind.

As an adult, I've had 3 root canals done with the anaesthesia shot in the gum and all I could feel was the dull impact of dental equipment hammering on my jaw.

Anyway, I still don't have a favorite dentist here and it looks as though I will soon be needing either oral surgery or wisdom tooth extraction. Aaaargh!

Hi

I am presently living in Leipzig and am looking for a good modern dentist who also uses nitrous oxide. The German people I spoke to here look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them if their dentist uses it.

as some of you have posted, I have had alot of dental work done/sensitive teeth and so on, and unfortunately need quite a bit more work...usually spend 2-3 hours in the chair...so cannot imagine dental work without it.

Anybody know of a dentist in area that offers this AND even better...a well trained qualified dental hygenist?

Thanks

Yes finally found one  https://zahnarztpraxis-muenstermann.de  they have nitrous and I think aslo more types on anthestic, in fact he wants you to feel no pain so no faces if you ask for it. The son Alexander is my dentist and speaks excellent english and is actually a fantastic dentist..just had a root canal and he saved a bad tooth. no trying to upsell anything and on public insurance. We have been to a couple others in Berlin and he will stay our dentist..I think he is better than my old doc in the US. Gas is more pricey than USA like 80 euros but it is available.

Why not have an anesthesiologist do the anesthesia. That´s what I had asked for when I got my wisdom teeth pulled.

I have the Perfect Storm of a high Resistence to Anästhetika and a very Low pain threshhold. The times I have screamed on the chair from being a kid to an Adult makes me sweat Even Now. And knowing that under Full Anästhetika you fehl the agony but you dont remember it afterwards makes me fear dentists to extremes.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

I have the Perfect Storm of a high Resistence to Anästhetika and a very Low pain threshhold.

omg it really sucks to be you - genuine sympathy.  I am the opposite:  high pain threshold and you can knock me out with a single benadryl.

when I was 14 I had my wisdom teeth out.  They were fully impacted (ie totally encased in bone) and my oral surgeon gave me something called "placidil" to take prior to surgery

I can attest, it's completely possible to be fully awake yet totally nonplussed as someone saws through the bones in your face to extract some of your teeth.  I dare say it was even "fun".   eta: of course he also injected me with so much novocaine I couldn't feel most of my head for hours afterwards.

I've gone under several times for other surgeries, but I still think general anesthesia is overrated - you don't remember anything :)

That sounds really crappy, slammer. I hope you at least don't have to go very often! One question though.

On ‎14‎.‎10‎.‎2019‎ ‎20‎:‎02‎:‎58, slammer said:

And knowing that under Full Anästhetika you fehl the agony but you dont remember it afterwards makes me fear dentists to extremes

How do you come to this conclusion? AFAIK, anaesthetics are a cocktail of drugs aiming to do three things: make you sleep, take away the pain and relax the muscles.

I heard it from a doctor, but he may have just wanted to scare the bejeezus out of me.

59 minutes ago, slammer said:

he may have just wanted to scare the bejeezus out of me

yeah.  sounds like that exactly.  

I have to say, anesthesia seems to be getting better and better, even in spite of me getting older and older.  After my last op I was up and borderline raring to go within 3 hours of first waking.  Doc merely raised his eyebrows and said "hm.  I see you are feeling pretty good" when he came by and found me pacing next to my bed.  And indeed I was, aside from pain at the surgical site I was mighty chipper.  No sore throat from the ventilator, no nausea, no hangover, it was quite remarkable compared to previous experiences.  Refusing any opioids for pain was also a factor I think.

I can't imagine having a general for dental work, but do what works for you.  You need to be sure you don't have any contraindications for going under, but I think it's standard practice to do labs and ekg and other checks before any general anesthesia is given, even for dental work, right?

2 hours ago, maxie said:

How do you come to this conclusion? AFAIK, anaesthetics are a cocktail of drugs aiming to do three things: make you sleep, take away the pain and relax the muscles.

You need to differentiate between narcotic gases and injectable narcotics, such as opioids. In rare cases it´s possible that the latter don´t work as they should because they rely on specific receptors to work. And some (very few) people have mutations on the genes coding for those receptors so that injectable narcotics don´t work as expected. So they might take away the pain but not necessarily make you lose consciousness. When (in a previous life) I was working as an anesthesiologist we once had a neurosurgical  patient who could remember how her scalp was folded over her forehead and she even remembered the jokes the surgeons were cracking during surgery. She felt no pain though - just felt that she was being touched by the scalpel but without the painful association that usually comes with it.

This won´t happen when using anesthetic gases like e. g. isoflurane because they don´t rely on specific receptors to take action.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

This won´t happen when using anesthetic gases like e. g. isoflurane because they don´t rely on specific receptors to take action.

I was given Nitrous Oxide at the dentist as a child, did nothing for me, I remembered everything including the terrible pain of 2 extractions, without local anesthetic,  for orthodontic reasons and I puked afterwards despite not having eaten anything since the night before! I also have tried it as an adult (don't ask) and it still does absolutely nothing beyond leaving a sweet smell in my nose for a couple of days. Useless stuff.