Getting internet in California while traveling

29 posts in this topic

bobby: your post reminds me of an American friend of mine at Heathrow Airport in London many years ago- he´d bought a Teddy bear for his daughter here in Germany. Went through and stopped by customs. A customs guy looked at the Teddy bear, looked at my friend and said " sleep well, Mr. G... "!

john, we have one teddy (his name is english teddy because of his football shirt)who we take everywhere.While checking into a5* hotel (we were on the motorbike drenched to the skin and couldn,t find anywhere else)the receptionist asked for our passports,so i opened the tank bag and said here is my wifes,here is mine and then pulled out my teddy and said hello i'm here as well!!!the receptionist couldn,t stop laughing and while taking us to our room kept looking at the tank bag and grinning,it was a nice moment! :rolleyes: The next morning we went down in our now dry bike clothes for breakfast(with teddy of course he was hungry as well)we were confronted with mainly higher class people in three piece suits(for breakfast!)and were looked down upon obviously,the loud muttering was , what are THEY doing here in our hotel with a teddy at the table he even has his own plate!! I loved every minute of it :lol:

So now back to the serious stuff!mlovett most of the time we enjoy driving about and savouring the scenery like we like to do on the motorbike,we do not hike but we do get out of the RV and walk!But not hike,we also like canoeing on lakes taking it easy and also watching the wild life.

If you are into motorbikes, mlovett said no to mullholland in the RV, and I agree...but a motorbike, now that is a completely different story. There is a store at the base of probably the most famous climb on mulholland, and probably all of California, called Rock Store (and the Rock Store climb). Motorcyclists from all over come to ride, and they stop to eat on the weekends and hang out at Rock Store.

The Amgen Tour of California (think Tour de France, but in California, i know not quite a Motorbike, but still) did a circuit race up the climb four times last May. I was a member of the Local Organizing Committee. I have pics, i just have to find them in all of my moving boxes. Anyway, i know the owner of that store pretty well. I'll find out a place you guys can rent a bike for a day or two. Plus, then you can drop down to the coast and ride along the ocean.

You are the best tour guide i could ever wish for!I have just checked out the site,we will visit them without a doubt!

If you're going to be in the Northern half of CA, anywhere in the Santa Cruz mountains is amazing... I miss the redwoods everyday. :( That and the Sierra Nevadas, especially the Tahoe area, although at this time of year it's likely to be covered in snow with lots of skiers. Of course, it's an absolutely amazing view from most ski places, so it wouldn't hurt to head up to that area either!

Do not take the bear advice lightly btw, my family's first time out in Sequoia King's Canyon NP when I was a teenager a bear broke into our mini-van because my dad forgot to take the toothpaste tube off the backseat. Their sense of smell really is that strong! So after driving from Washington DC to California with two teenagers in the backseat of an old mini-van (!!!) my parents decided to cut our trip short and get the car fixed in nearby Visalia (trust me, you do not want to end up there). When the park authorities tell you to lock everything up and away from the bears, DO IT!

Have just read all the amazing helpful posts again,i am getting quite excited again as the date gets even closer,the planning is being changed aswell as finalised, sunday southrim,mon/tues/wed northrim then bryce/zion and death valley then maybe monument valley(time?)yosemite/sequoia,big sur,sierra,we have only booked N/S rim the rest of the route will be planned when we get there and depending on time we spend at different places,can,t wait!

you can probably get internet at the library. If you know the area which you will be you could send an email to the Library near by.

I know that in Florida you can take your notebook in the Library and use the wireless for free. The last time I used the internet at Starbucks, I had to buy a card.

Walmart sells a phone with free internet service, no contract, with this you could check email and have a phone while traveling around in USA.

You can go to their web site and see the different plans. Straight Talk, Net 10 and etc. I have used both for telephone while in the USA and works good in Florida. they have plans which gives you one month and etc. flat rate.

Have a good trip.. :)

Have just got back (yesterday) from an amazing three weeks in the Golden State,a full report will follow if anybody is interested,must first recover though from jetlag and the obligatory flu/cold that one always seems to get after visiting the states(probaly caused from air conditioners or the fact that we got struck by lightning in the Grand Canyon)