Pay per click advertising

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to grow my business in 2011 and am considering using a pay-per-click method for advertising. However, just a quick search on some of the associated forums reveal that this can be fraught with problems e.g. the competition bombing your ad, the ad carrier blocking your account for (apparently) no reason etc

I appreciate that this is a public forum and that writing something like "such and such company did XYZ...bunch of crooks" would not really be healthy for the poster but if anyone could give me some positive recommendations I would really appreciate it.(although if have real horror stories then feel free to PM me)

I am a self-employed Joe Average and cannot afford to make a mistake - I want to get it right first time...if you have any insights, please share them.

Cheers,

Taff

I can't remember off the top of my head what your business is...think it might have been local tours? PPC can get expensive...especially if you need to use an agency to run your campaigns...hopefully someone here can assist with easy way for you to learn about using Google Adwords?...also look at building up links to help you with "natural" searches in Google etc...

Google adwords is very simple to use - I think you can effectively do it yourself (especially if you are on a budget). The online help videos are useful and I would recommend setting a reasonably small budget to start with and getting stuck in. PPC advertising is a fast, effective but expensive method of driving visitors to your website, so don't focus 100% on it.

My experience:

- search advertising (where google places the ad on their own search results page) works well and leads to a good conversion rate (i.e. visitors that make a purchase). Some keywords get a lot of clicks but poor conversions, so I have reduced my bid for those.

- network advertising (where google places the ad on another network such as thelocal.de website) led to a lot of clicks from fairly obscure networks but zero conversion (i.e. sales). I have turned this type of advertising off (in the adwords settings) but if I had more time I should reactivate it and select the networks myself).

I use google analytics to track which sources provide the best type of visitors. You can buy software to determie the level of click fraud (I guess based on the number of clicks from one IP address), but for my business I don't think it is worth it.

I've built my share of online ads, I can help. Send me a PM, then we can chat. I'd be happy to work within your budget if I can have access to the results.

Google Adwords. Bid on the obscure and not so obvious terms (cheaper). Forget anything and everything else 'cos Google owns the world. Wasting your time and money with the rest.

If you, in the end, do not go for pay per click, I can distribute some of your logos (and links) on the web pages I have access to.

Just send me an offer... ;)