Appointments at Ausländeramt bookable via Internet

62 posts in this topic

Thanks for the well wishes. I got my visa when all was said and done, though I did run into a couple snags - turns out the room for my appointment wasn't in the Z6 area like it is for typical US citizens (that's where they still have waiting numbers). I actually had to go to the ground floor because everything was arranged through my company, and companies go through a different section altogether.

I also had a problem with the photo I brought - I thought a standard US passport photo would work but the biometric photos that they require have different dimensions, so make sure that your photo is appropriate. If not, you have to use the photo booths they have on site which cost 7 euro and only take coins.

Hope my experience proves useful to some in the future!

hey there,

can anyone confirm that the book an appointment online tool only works during opening hours? right now the little calendar isn't showing ANY free days all the way into 2017, and the last thing i want to do, EVER, is to go there without an appointment. anyone? anyone?

I booked an appointment a few days ago around midnight. maybe it was just temporarily down when you tried?

Thanks for your reply! I was able to book an appointment at 7.30 this morning. So profoundly glad I did not attempt to contact someone at the Ausländerbehörde by phone to see if it was a technical problem. Thanks again!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello-

I am originally from the US and arrived in Berlin on January 2 2015 with the intention of securing full time employment in the accounting/finance field. I just recently went through the process of registering my rented flat as my domicile and was also successful in converting my 3 month tourist visa status to a job seeker visa, thereby extending my stay in Berlin for an additional 6 months.

I was told that once I am awarded a job contract by an employer, I can apply for a work visa and would need to undergo another interview via an appointment with Berlin Foreigners' Registration Office. Anticipating a job offer will materialize in a few weeks, I went on the Berlin Foreigners' Registration Office online appointment website to try to book an work visa appointment.

I was shocked to find that there are NO available appointments whatsoever!!! I even scrolled through as far into 2017 and found all days blocked out! Could it really be possible that there are really no appointments available? It makes no sense to me. Does anyone know of a workaround solution to fast track an appointment? I was told that perhaps I could squeeze myself in without an appointment if I line up first thing before the offices open in the morning. Or maybe call the office and request an appointment by speaking with someone?

I just cant believe there are no available appointments!! Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Well, I just tried and there are appointments available for the end of april, and most days in may/june/july/august.

Try again! Maybe there was no connection to the schedule when you tried!

Vronchen -

I just tried again. No luck. The website pointed me to make an appointment in Section Z2 and not Z6 which I expected, since I am a US citizen?h There were a series of questions. I stated I was applying for a residence to start a job (Section 18) I also responded "yes" to the following, Since I have residency dur to the job seeker visa:

Do you or your husband/wife currently have for the purpose of

- study/study preparation

- employment search after recently completed study

- language course/school attendance

- working as a (guest) scientist

a residence document according to

§ 16 Abs. 1

or

§ 16 Abs. 4

or

§ 16 Abs. 5

or

§ 18 Abs. 4

S. 1 ?

Still no available appointments for me. What did you do Vonchen??

Vronchen -

I just tried again. No luck. The website pointed me to make an appointment in Section Z2 and not Z6 which I expected, since I am a US citizen?h There were a series of questions. I stated I was applying for a residence to start a job (Section 18) I also responded "yes" to the following, Since I have residency dur to the job seeker visa:

Do you or your husband/wife currently have for the purpose of

- study/study preparation

- employment search after recently completed study

- language course/school attendance

- working as a (guest) scientist

§ 16 Abs. 1

or

§ 16 Abs. 4

or

§ 16 Abs. 5

or

§ 18 Abs. 4

S. 1 ?

Still no available appointments for me. What did you do Vonchen??

I answered no on that question. Isn't a job seeker visa §18c?

When the LABO computer says “There are no appointments available” it doesn't actually mean “There are no appointments available”. It just means “There are no appointments available” for you! At least not until you submit answers to the questions which match it's programmed requirements.

If you chose 'Yes' in response to that "Do you or your husband/wife currently have..." question then it appears that, (in your rush to overcome the statutory hurdles before you are prepared to face them)*, you are misinterpreting the meaning of the specific wording of that question.

§ 18 Abs. 4 S. 1 means Section 18 Paragraph 4 Sentence 1 which reads as follows:

(4) 1. A residence title for the purpose of taking up employment pursuant to sub-section 2 which requires a vocational qualification may only be issued for employment in an occupational group which has been approved by virtue of a statutory instrument in accordance with Section 42.

So, if you answered 'Yes' then, since it believes you already do have a residence title enabling you to take up work, the computer correctly ceased to process your application for an (apparently redundant) appointment.

*Even if you took the extra (as suggested by use of the red font preceding the question) care required to read and understand and correctly answer the question I suspect you could not truthfully check the statement “I herewith acknowledge the information, the above conditions are met by me.” since it appears below a block listing documents you probably don't yet have.

Issuance or extension of a residence for the purpose of employment

General Information

Required documents

- Valid passport

- 1 current biometric photo - 35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial exp​ression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background (http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/labo/fahrerlaubnisangelegenheiten/foto_mustertafel.pdf)

- Employment contract - Original and copy

- The form "Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung" (completed)

- The form "Stellenbeschreibung" (filled out by employer)

- The form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - Only required for the first application.

- Occupation practice permit - Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')

- Lease or proof of home ownership - Original and copy

- Rental cost / expenses for property - Lease that states the current rental cost or monthly expenses for own property (each original and copy)

- Certificate of employment - Only required for the extension of a residence permit:

- Certificate of employment (not older than 14 days)

- Salary slips of the last 3 months - Only required for the extension of a residence permit: Salary slips of the last 3 months (each original and copy)

- Health insurance - Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information for students on adequate health insurance".

My bolds.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Aufenthaltsgesetz aka Residence Act (link to the English translation) and, in particular, the mandatory order of procedure which all EU government authorities are required to comply with in order to meet the standards of the EU priority principle wrt to the employment of non-EU nationals.

To get a start on that put Vorrangsprinzip in the TT search box (top right) and read everything you find listed.

I wish you good luck with finding a job but, to save the frustration of wasting your own time and that of the ABHlers at LABO, please do get your priorities in the correct order.

2B

Vonchren & 2B-

Thanks for helping me out. It's like navigating through mud on the berliner.de website and as you pointed out, I mistakenly answered that question incorrectly. I do have a job seeker visa - so I should have responded no to that question.

I was hoping to align the timing of appointment with the anticipated timeline of the job contract, to eliminate any potential delay in finalizing a work permit. If the job contract, Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigun", and "Stellenbeschreibung" were not finalized at the time of the appointment, I would just cancel or reschedule the appointment as needed.

Oh, dear.

I really advise you not to continue to try booking an appointment before you have all your ducks in a row, Alvcpa.

The Berlin ABH has been working close to the limit of their capacity for about the last 25 years which, in view of the difficulties many non-German speakers present them with, has put their personnel under considerable strain. Little wonder they've often been accused of being grumpy xenophobes (or worse). In order to try to cope with the demand and bring a bit of sanity to their side of the equation they, like many other organs of public administration in Germany, have been trying for some years to transform their public consultation work to a 'by appointment only' system.

That system works best when everyone works with it but, notoriously, large numbers of their clientele do their best to find ways of fooling the system in the hope of getting faster service.

People booking appointments prematurely and then cancelling or rescheduling at short notice interferes with their internal planning and creates situations where they have hours of staff capacity on hand but no clients. I'd be very surprised if their software wasn't capable of including notes of changed bookings. If it is then there's a risk that all you are likely to achieve by being hasty is to end up dealing with an official who already feels antipathetic towards you before you even walk in.

Click on a pic for an expanded view.

post-89810-14264888583725_thumb.png

post-89810-14264888722007_thumb.png

post-89810-14264888480209_thumb.png

Consider that very last line carefully.

2B

I am originally from the US and arrived in Berlin on January 2 2015 with the intention of securing full time employment in the accounting/finance field.

I was hoping to align the timing of appointment with the anticipated timeline of the job contract, to eliminate any potential delay in finalizing a work permit. If the job contract, Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigun", and "Stellenbeschreibung" were not finalized at the time of the appointment, I would just cancel or reschedule the appointment as needed.

Considering how few jobs there are in Berlin in your field and the oversupply of qualified applicants who don't need a work permit, if I were you I would concentrate on looking for an employer willing to attempt to sponsor a work permit instead of needlessly blocking appointments at the understaffed ABH in Berlin.

Engelchen and 2B

Perhaps I should further clarify my current situation.

Actually I have( not just one but) two potential employers willing to sponsor my VISA at this time. One of which provided me with me a preliminary draft of a job contract terms (We are in the middle of negotiations). The other employer informed me that I am their current top candidate but they need more time to finish up their first round of interviews before bringing me back to meet with executive management for the final nod. In fact, the hiring manager even told me - "please don't go anywhere" until they finish up the interviews.

I didn't want the upcoming expiration of my initial visa to be the cause of me losing out on these opportunities- thus my reason for fast-tracking the conversion to the job seeker visa to buy me more time while I get these two job opportunities sorted out. (I should also note that I was able to fast-track it only because I noticed an open slot on the online calendar - most likely due to someone cancelling their appointment at the last minute.)

During my job seeker visa interview, I presented them with emails from the two potential employers corroborating what I stated above, along with

* my original copy of my college certificate;

* a ZAB certificate attesting my US college diploma met the German equivalent educational standards;

* a copy of my professional license;

* a copy my CV;

* evidence of a financial assets and medical insurance coverage to support myself in Germany during the next six months.

* copies of email threads from other jobs I applied for to show I have been deadly serious about landing a job in my profession.

* my domicile residency registration

* evidence of my registration in German language immersion classes.

So while my interview was for the conversion to a job seeker visa, I provided more than ample evidence to get myself pre-screened for the work permit visa- albeit on a very preliminary basis.

My intake officer made copies of all my extra documentation and emphasized that I would only be granted a work permit for job in a profession tied to my college diploma which I assured her I was pursuing. I found her to be very cooperative and friendly towards me during the entire process and not at all xenophobic or grumpy as you mentioned. And interestingly enough, it was she who recommended that I go ahead and try to get on the calendar for the work permit interview since it may take some time.

She also indicated that based on her review of my professional credentials and the other documentation I presented, the senior level of the jobs I am applying for, as well as assuring her that the salary range for the two solid job leads were way above 50,000 EURO annual minimum, that I would be a strong candidate for a blue card status- thereby circumventing the whole arduous labor review to see if I am directly competing with German or EU counterparts.

So my actions to schedule another appointment are based on what I was told during my interview and not a deliberate attempt to cheat or clog the system unecessarily . Maybe the missing component here is the actual lead time for the Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigun, and Stellenbeschreibung. Maybe I am just presuming these would all be completed by the employer at the same time as the job contract?

Also when speaking with some of my language classmates who are also undergoing the work permit visa process, I was told that perhaps an appointment isnt necessary and that there is a lottery system each day for non-appointment applicants each morning so long as you line up at their offices at 5:30 am?

If you have a job offer for over 50k/year don't bother with making an appointment. Just go a few hours before they open, wait in line, and take a number. If you have the necessary docs with you, they can process your application on the spot.

As long as you have a university degree and a job offer, it is very easy to obtain a Blue Card.

Hi everyone

I've tried booking an appointment to get a Sprachkursvisum over a dozen times but there are no free appointments. I was starting to think it was a technical issue but I just tried booking a working holiday visa and there were plenty of spots free. Does anybody have any advice on how I can deal with this? Am I better off facing the dreaded 6:30 queue in person when I arrive?

Cheers

Aaron

It's probably due to an input issue, Aaron. See the first paragraph in Post #50 above.

2B

Hi all - I wasn't able to find an existing thread about my question, so hopefully someone has experience with this...

Context:

1. I had an appointment today to extend my freelancer visa. Something was not correct with my paperwork so they gave me a 90-day extension until 11.6 to correct it.
  2. However, I am trying to book an appointment now and I'm not able to find anything before then! The earliest available appointment is a week too late on 18.6. 
  3. I went ahead and booked the 18.6 appointment so that I at least have *something* while I try to get an earlier appointment.
  4. But... In the PDF attached to my appointment confirmation for 18.6 was this text:

Note: if your residence permit has not expired yet, the residence permit will remain effective in Germany at least until the appointment scheduled today. This also applies to all conditions stipulated on your residence permit, including the regulations pertaining to gainful employment. Please be ware, that this will only apply, if you attend the booked appointment

Based on the first sentence, it *sounds* as though my visa extension (which is only until 11.6) would *somehow* (?) be valid until my appointment date (which is a week later on 18.6).

Note: if your residence permit has not expired yet, the residence permit will remain effective in Germany at least until the appointment scheduled today.

Question

1) My interpretation above seems wildly impossible because it seems that I could have just as well abused the system and booked something 150 days out or something absurd. Can anyone clarify what the passage above is referring to? 

2) In the event that I'm unable to find anything sooner, before my extension expires on 11.6, what should be my course of action? 

(As an aside, I'll be monitoring the availability using the awesome pluging mentioned in the previous post, and also checking periodically manually in hopes of finding an earlier appointment.)

On 9/26/2015, 10:56:32, john_b said:

FWIW - how to spot an earlier Bürgeramt appointment using Firefox or Chrome extensions (scroll down)

http://berlincheap.com/earlier-burgeramt-appointment/

@cj780

I would try just going in person with all your paperwork to hand, make sure you have everything.Yes, it's a zoo out there and there is no such thing as "take a number" and wait, you have to be persistent and resourceful and hope for the best. 

I tried the first 6 months of 2018 to make an online appointment to re-apply for my permanent residency, and there was never any availability. Ok, there was one time last February when I spotted a slot for June actually, but knew that my husband wasn't going to be in town due to a project. (ours is a long story, but you can probably find it under my previous posts, I had the residency issued in 2010, then moved to London for 8 years and returned last year, my husband is German. So we just needed to sort the paperwork out again). 

Anyway, we finally went in person in the summer - and miraculously I got sorted within within 30 minutes, once we made it inside the AB. This is where you have to be resourceful. It was hot as hell that day, even at 8am, the queues are chaos, and after they admitted about 30-40 people in (a process, which lasted about 1.5, max 2 hours, including those with appointments and those without), they told us they weren't taking any more in, and it was a Thursday, a day when AB is open until 6pm! There were people with expiring visas in the queue, people who have now attempted 2-3 times previously with no success. People cut in line, people have friends waiting for them ( and then a family of 6 shows up), it's all rather soul crushing.

Anyway, the door guy did this thing before they turn everyone away he said, okay we're done for today BUT if you have a visa that expires before Monday and/or travel booked , we can see additional few people (they're closed Fridays). Of course you had to show him proof right there. While he was haggling and arguing with folks around him, we just booked the cheapest flight we could find on Easyjet for the coming weekend, which happened to be to Zurich, (where a distant cousin lives, so we could justify it like that). We showed him the proof and he let us get in, this is while most people have now left. Once inside, like I said, all in all it took about 30 min. I think it's worth trying to go in person and be ballsy, and yes get there early, if you get there by 7am, which we didn't, you might be the first of the 30 people they let in that day. And as a back up, try to find a dirt cheap flight and a reason to justify it, if asked. Go on a Thursday, because they're closed Friday and you can always say you have a flight to catch that weekend, so you must be processed. I don't recommend everyone does this but as an urgent matter backup, it may work.

(Needless to say we cancelled the flight later that day and never saw the cousin)