Christmas Tree Disposal

24 posts in this topic

Chop it up and put it either in the Biotonne or the Restmüll was the info I got from the FES years ago and it looks that this is still correct from the link posted above. :D

Wow Darkknight- so sorry to waste your time. Some of us don't have a lot of time to play on the internet and thought people on Toytown were willing to be helpful. Feel free not to respond my easy/stupid questions in the future.

Blah Blah Blah.. If prob took you longer to get to TT, Login and Post, than it would to have done a Google search to begin with.

Now you know for next time. And you Welcome..

Many people don't put their trees out until after 6 Jan. Three Kings Day, which is why you probably haven't seen any yet. Here in Bornheim, I always thought there was xmas tree pick-up day, as the trees would all be out on the sidewalk along Wittelsbacherallee.

I was told to just put it out on the street on Jan 6th. No one has mentioned chopping it up. I'll ask around and see if others do this.

Well the link does say in bold that it should be chopped up into 1 metre pieces. That is for the FES to collect them.

Moondancer might be right there might be some other collection service as well and yes most people don't take them down until 6th January which would be why you haven't seen any.

Personally I would chop it up to be on the safe side, otherwise FES could remove it whole and charge you/the building (and well the neighbours always seem to know who it is who has left it out there)

Not everyone has an axe or knows how to handle it in order to "chop up" a tree (I don't), so for the sake of an accident-free removal, it is okay to place the tree on the sidewalk near the curb in the next days around Jan 6th, where you'll see other trees lying around (I actually always find it a sad sight to see perfect trees thrown away).

Where I live, about 40 km south-east of Frankfurt, the christmas trees are collected off the streets on the 6th Jan. It's been done this way for the past 18 years I've lived here.

Happy to be of assistance :)

Most cities accept them as part of standard rubbish collection (cut down, of course) or have elected collection centres. Outside of cities there are often charitable collection services, for example the local farmers, (Burschenvereine) or volunteer fire brigades will arrange collection of a complete tree in exchange for a small donation.

I live in Nordend, and I've been watching the streets for signs on Christmas trees sitting out for disposal the last two days. So far, nothing. Since I live in an apartment with shared trash containers, and the owner never ordered the brown bio container, I would feel very guilty filling up the regular trashcan with my tree. I'm really not sure what to do with my tree at the moment. Any ideas would be appreciated.

In my Frankfurt neighborhood, there are groups of christmas trees now here and there on the edge of the sidewalk. Just put it somewhere so that it doesn't bother passers-by, and it will be taken care of.

Where I live we get a card each year with the rubbish collection dates. In the middle of January there is the 'Grünabführ' This is when we can chuck our Christmas tree away.

Thanks for the advice. I found our calendar online, and it looks like it was yesterday and next Friday. I walked around the neighborhood again today, and still no trees. Either this is because the garbage truck already came around this morning and picked them up, or people in my neighborhood just don't like Christmas. ( : If I get desperate, I can just chop the tree into little pieces and slowly feed it into the trash (did that with moving boxes once). I do have to admit that the idea of dumping my dead tree on the sidewalk bothers me. I've never gotten used to seeing peoples' trash just sitting out on the sidewalk! Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New Year to you! In general you are of course right, dumping trash somewhere is bad, but Christmas trees are an exception. I don't know for sure, but I think they get collected either with the Bio-Abfall (every other week) or by the street cleaners that clean once a week in inner city neighbourhoods.

It's a pity all of the snow is melting, you could have hidden your Christmas tree in the street ;)

I just left our Christmas tree as is (not chopped, not wrapped, even with a few old decorations I didn't want) by our bin last week (before the 6th January) and on garbage day it was taken, without any issues or problems...