Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,297 posts in this topic

Hello Panda,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I had a change of residential address. So, would it be right to mention the office addr at 31 and fill in the details(kms, days) in line 35,36 ??? And provide reference to the two addresses in a plain sheet of paper.

I was in germany during the whole of 2013. so, my foreign income is only rental income. i had the rental money transferred online to my bank a/c by the tenant. In this case, how do i show the supporting for the rent received? do i need to provide the bank statements reflecting it???

Also, i have been paying interest for the home loan i have. can this be deducted as well???

Thanks

No, in that case write into line 31: Whg 1: flat address 1; Arbeit: work address

and the km into line 35.

Line 32: Whg 2: flat address 2; Arbeit: work address

and the km into line 36.

About the rental income, calculate the rental profit according to the German rules, which means the interest for your mortgage on the "pure building price" is tax deductible, details in Rental income calculation.

You have to declare your Indian rental profit in Anlage V.

It will not be taxed again, but will raise your tax rate on your German income. This is permitted by the double taxation agreement between Germany and India, article 23 (1) a).

Hello again!

The number of the lines for the Mantelbogen ESt 1A in the wiki and on paper don't match...

For example at the start for "job title" it is referred as line 12 in the wiki when it is line 14 on paper. So far so good for such simple questions with google translate, but when it comes to pages 2 and 4 it's becoming a bit difficult for me :(

- Do you know where on page 2 can i find the box to tick for "lines 31 to 40: put an X in the box to the left of which Anlagen (i.e. other tax forms) you will attach " (lines 31 to 40 refers to an address on paper :blink: ) please?

- and which line on paper refers to "line 97: if you moved to Germany during the year: period from ... to ... that you lived in Germany"?

Two more questions which might sound stupid, sorry:

- If i was travelling at the start of 2013 before moving to Germany, does it means that i should write 0 (or nothing at all) at the line: "line 99: sum total of all your gross family income during period before you moved here", and which line is it on paper then?

And finally in the form Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand, as i haven't received any letter from my insurance i am not sure if i am concerned regarding the lines 31 to 36 for the private health insurance letter "Bescheinigung über Vorsorgeaufwendungen nach §10 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 EStG". I was insured on my work request at TK, but i'm not sure if this is considered as private :huh: (then i guess i should contact them for the letter never received..)

Thank you in advance for your help!

The number of the lines for the Mantelbogen ESt 1A in the wiki and on paper don't match...

For example at the start for "job title" it is referred as line 12 in the wiki when it is line 14 on paper. So far so good for such simple questions with google translate, but when it comes to pages 2 and 4 it's becoming a bit difficult for me

Yes, the instructions are for the 2012 forms, so as a workaround, open the 2012 version of the form in parallel, find the section in the 2012 form and then look for the same German words in the 2013 version.

- Do you know where on page 2 can i find the box to tick for "lines 31 to 40: put an X in the box to the left of which Anlagen (i.e. other tax forms) you will attach " (lines 31 to 40 refers to an address on paper ) please?

That section has been eliminated in the 2013 forms.

- and which line on paper refers to "line 97: if you moved to Germany during the year: period from ... to ... that you lived in Germany"?

Line 96.

Two more questions which might sound stupid, sorry:

- If i was travelling at the start of 2013 before moving to Germany, does it means that i should write 0 (or nothing at all) at the line: "line 99: sum total of all your gross family income during period before you moved here", and which line is it on paper then?

Yes, write 0 into line 98.

And finally in the form Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand, as i haven't received any letter from my insurance i am not sure if i am concerned regarding the lines 31 to 36 for the private health insurance letter "Bescheinigung über Vorsorgeaufwendungen nach §10 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 EStG". I was insured on my work request at TK, but i'm not sure if this is considered as private (then i guess i should contact them for the letter never received..)

TK is Techniker Krankenkasse, a public health insurance.

--> fill in the section for public health insurance, lines 12 to 30.

Thank you so so much for all your help, it is amazing to get such a good help online when you don't understand much in German!

Ok, last time i bother you :)

I have filled my forms online with Elster, clicked on the first PDF-Print logo in the top menu to print and send a version to my Finanzamt, but how can i be sure a copy has been electronically sent to them too? i couldn't find any "send" button :huh: (is it sent automatically when i click on print? i couldn't find "Datenübermittlung - "Steuererklärung an das Finanzamt übermitteln" in the menu..)

As an employee, you don't need to submit electronically.

Print the paper forms, sign them, attach a copy of your Lohnsteuerbescheinigung and send all of it by snail mail.

That's it. :)

Even if you did send it electronically, they wouldn't process your return until they get your paper documents with your signature, so there is no time advantage to you.

Hi Everyone,

I can certainly see that Im not the only in this boat. My wife and I have just received our "Erinnerung an die Abgabe der Steuererklärungen.

It requests a Einkommensteuer. in particular the 25 (3) EStG 56, 60 EStDV

We have now been here for about a year, I work Freelance but have not made much this year, instead used some savings to facilitate living. I have made roughly €10,000 from IT work but nothing more. From what I can tell filing is mandatory. Also I have not registered for VAT. We are also looking for a tax accountant that could help us out but in some ways we don't think that would be necessary. Any ideas whether this could be managed. Our German is maybe A1-A2 but when it comes to taxes even fluency can still not be enough.

Can an extension be requested.

Much appreciated if anyone knows about this kind of situation we find ourselves in.

Cheers!

You should have submitted by 31. May 2014.

Simply follow the instructions in the turquoise area of the TT Elster wiki, but the instructions are tailored to the 2012 forms, so also open the 2012 form in parallel to the 2013 form to find the correct line.

Submit before the deadline that they gave you.

I have not yet submitted my tax return for 2013 and I keep reading contradicting statements as to whether I can do it now by myself or not.

Is it too late now (after May 31st) to submit a tax return myself. What would happen if I did? is there a fee or is it just rejected?

Do I now need to get a tax consultant to submit it for me and then have the extra costs involved in that? Even that says that the deadline is the 31st of december, but it obviously isn't since people have submitted tax returns for the past 4 years.

Can someone please explaing these deadlines and when they can be ignored. Thank you

I think the difference is if you are required to submit them in which case your deadline was 31st of May (i.e. self-employed making over the limit, employee on tax class 3 or 5, etc) and now only a tax consultant can submit them for you.

If you are not required to submit taxes (i.e. employee on tax class 1 or 4) then the deadline does not apply to you and you can still file the.

I am sure PandaMunich will show up later with a better explanation.

If you miss a deadline you are liable for a fine and interest payments on any tax due. That doesn't mean you will be fined, especially for a "first offence" and if you are fined you can appeal to get it removed or reduced. I'm usually at least a year astray with my submissions (despite using a consultant) but we usually cook up an excuse every year to avoid any fine (although I do have to pay the interest on any debts)

... now only a tax consultant can submit them for you.

Nope, he can still submit by himself, he just risks a slap-on-the-wrist 20€ fine for submitting late.

The late interest he would have to pay anyway, whether he submits by himself or if he uses a Steuerberater.

Hello Guys,

After all of your help and advice. We filed the Tax for 2010 and today i got the Bescheid from Finanzamt. They have taxed as Progressionvorbehalt( 15.x %)(Splittungs Tarif). I am unable to understand why is this so. Is it with everyone??

Just to remind our case:-

Tax class 5

I worked in Jan 2010 - In India. I submitted the document to finanzamt ( relevant to one month tax paid in india)

Feb-Nov- Came to germany .Not worked. Learned Deutsch.

Dec 2010- German Company - Paid all social contributions

My Husband- Tax class 3

2010 - Worked in Germany as an Indian Employee deputed here. Paid No social security. Income tax and health insurance paid

What i have not understood is:-

- Why Progressionvorbehalt?

- It has benefited us or we have paid more because of this?

Thanks in Advance!!

You fell under Progressiinsvorbehalt because of your Indian salary from January 2010.

Since that salary was positive, because of it you paid a bit more tax on your other income. The Indian salary itself wasn't taxed again.

So a short synopsis. From the 1st of August till 18th of October, I tried unsuccessfully my hand at self-employment. Zero income only bills and expenses. I received last week an Erinnerung an die Abgabe der Steuererklaerung. I spoke briefly to some from the Finanzamt and she told me that I don't need to use ELSTER but that online I should be able to find a form to fill out. I have searched but there seems to be so many different forms to use and that has only confused me more. In the end she said I could even use MSWORD with the heading Einkommenseklarung and fill in INCOME 0 EXPENSES xxxx and that would suffice. Would that work? I have most of my receipts from my failed venture, should i send those in as originals?

Yes, a simple profit/loss calculation (in your case: loss) on a piece of paper is enough. A template is linked from the turquoise area of the TT Elster wiki.

Attach all the original invoices, but make a copy of the first in case they get lost.

I want to again thank Panda for the many times she helped me with German taxes.

I recently received the final Bescheid for 2012.

Now once more into the fray for 2013, where I will probably need to use not one, but two EU/EWR forms (argh).

Speaking of which, why is there no more the other languages ones?

https://www.formulare-bfinv.de/ffw/content.do

for 2012 they have many, but only the German/German one for 2013?