Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,297 posts in this topic

Bear in mind that if do have business related travel that your company do not reimburse you for then you may be able to claim these costs against your tax bill - this doesn't mean the expenses are refunded, just the tax you would have otherwise have paid on these costs. Depending on your tax level (which depends on your income) you get 20-30% of the costs refunded

Hello there,

I am just about to finish my tax return for 2011, but I am stuck on Anlage KAP! I hope there is someone out there willing to help, I have received such invaluable advice on this site before. I only had Kapitalerträge from abroad (an EU country) in 2011. I earned interest, which was taxed in the foreign country, but I also made a loss selling some funds (in the same EU country). I understand I have to fill in lines 15 ff of the Anlage KAP, this is what I worked out so far, but I am not sure whether I am doing it right:

line 15 : the gross interest I earned minus the loss

line 16: the gross interest

line 18: the loss I made

line 52: the tax on the interest paid in the foreign country

Am I getting this right?

Another question: Do I ALSO have to fill in Anlage AUS? Its says in the instructions to Anlage AUS: "Liegen Einkünfte aus Kapitalvermögen vor, kommt eine Eintragung in der Anlage AUS nur in Betracht, wenn die tarifliche Einkommensteuer Anwendung findet (Eintragungen in den Zeilen 22 bis 26 und 47 bis 48 der Anlage KAP)" Does this mean that Anlage AUS should be submitted only when lines 22-26 of the Anlage KAP are filled in? In other words, if I do not fill in anything in lines 22-26 of Anlage KAP (they do not seem to apply to my case), do I still have to submit Anlage AUS?

Thanks so much

Another question: Do I ALSO have to fill in Anlage AUS? Its says in the instructions to Anlage AUS: "Liegen Einkünfte aus Kapitalvermögen vor, kommt eine Eintragung in der Anlage AUS nur in Betracht, wenn die tarifliche Einkommensteuer Anwendung findet (Eintragungen in den Zeilen 22 bis 26 und 47 bis 48 der Anlage KAP)" Does this mean that Anlage AUS should be submitted only when lines 22-26 of the Anlage KAP are filled in? In other words, if I do not fill in anything in lines 22-26 of Anlage KAP (they do not seem to apply to my case), do I still have to submit Anlage AUS?

In my experience, filling in the Anlage AUS and thereby giving the Finanzamt more information on what kinds of foreign income (country, type, e.g. name and type of fund) you had will prevent them writing you an extra letter asking you to elaborate.

Anlage KAP:

line 4 (it can't hurt asking them to check whether you you should get tax back): 1

line 5 (they should check the tax due on your UK interest): 1

line 15: gross amount of UK interest

line 18: fill in all your losses except the losses from selling shares

line 19: fill in your losses from selling shares

line 53: fill in the UK tax you paid (line 52 would be for such a foreign tax for which you have already received a tax credit)

Anlage AUS:

line 4: Großbritannien

line 5: Zinsen Kapitalvermögen / whatever other source of capital income you had

line 6: Anlage KAP, Zeile 15

line 7: gross amount of UK interest

line 10: any UK tax you paid on that interest

Hello,

I am yet to file my tax returns for 2012. Would it be a problem to file the returns by next week or so?

I have a few queries before i file my returns.

a. During 2012, i stayed at a place X. During sep 2013, i have moved in to place Y. Should i file my tax return at the finanzamt of place X or at place Y where i am staying currently.

b. In the tax forms, should i mention the current address Y or the previous address X(in 2012).

c. I am married with a child and my family is staying with me. My wife is not employed and my child goes to the kinderkrippe. which are the forms i need to fill up? Also, i understand Anlage N is one of the forms. Should i fill in multiple Anlage N ie., for wife, myself or???

Thanks in advance.

br,

prz01

1. Y
  2. Y
  3. You need just one Anlage N. For the child you need an Anlage Kind. You also need one Mantelbogen and one Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand. Details in yellow section of TT Elster wiki: http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/ELSTER

thanks a lot for the quick reply. the link is very informative. I have a few more queries:

a. in 2012, my wife took up the ETS test. can this be declared in the tax return? if so, where do i fill it and whats the procedure?

b. do i need to mention the finanzamt of place X in the column 'bisherige...'?

c. i do not see the eTIN in my lohnsteuerbescheinigung. can this be left blank?

d. in the anlage kind, can i fill the details of the kinderkrippe fee at 'kinderbetreuungskosten'? i see it mentioned in your article that its from 3+ years?

thanks in advance.

one additional query, in the ESt1A form, is it required to fill in the details for pt. 97? we were in germany for the whole of 2012. is it only required if you moved in during 2012?

thanks a lot for the quick reply. the link is very informative. I have a few more queries:

a. in 2012, my wife took up the ETS test. can this be declared in the tax return? if so, where do i fill it and whats the procedure?

b. do i need to mention the finanzamt of place X in the column 'bisherige...'?

c. i do not see the eTIN in my lohnsteuerbescheinigung. can this be left blank?

d. in the anlage kind, can i fill the details of the kinderkrippe fee at 'kinderbetreuungskosten'? i see it mentioned in your article that its from 3+ years?

thanks in advance.

1. Yes, in that case do not fill in the Mantelbogen ESt1V from the yellow section, but the Mantelbogen ESt1A from the turquoise section of the TT Elster wiki. Fill in her ETS test costs into line 48.
  2. You would only have to mention the Finanzamt of your old city in the Mantelbogen if you were already in the system, i.e. if you had already subnmitted a tax return to that old Finanzamt
  3. Yes, no problem. Just be sure that you fill in your Steuer-ID at the top of the form, and that you attach a copy of your Lohnsteuerbescheinigung to your tax forms.
  4. Yes.
  5. Since you were resident throughout the whole of 2012, you do not fill anything into lines 97 to 100 of the Mantelbogen ESt1A.

thanks again panda. in my steuernummer, i see two numbers separated by a slash. what does this mean? is it mine/my spouse? if this is the case, should i cite both the numbers with / in the anlage n and other forms???

thanks

Excuse me, but why do you already have a Steuernummer?

If you have a Steuernummer from your old Finanzamt, forget about it, they are allocated locally and your new Finanzamt will assign you a new one when processing your 2012 tax return.

If you are a VAT-charging self-employed and therefore already applied for a Steuernummer from your new Finanzamt, then please follow the instructions in the green area of the TT Elster wiki.

In a Steuernummer, the numbers before the slash indicate your local Finanzamt, the numbers after the slash are allocated within your local Finanzamt, see here.

sorry, my fault. i forgot to mention that i am employed by a firm.

the company helped me file returns for 2011 thru E&Y. this was done at finanzamt X.

now, i need to file the returns for 2012 by myself at finanzamt Y(as mentioned by you in the previous thread).

a. i need to leave the steuernummer blank. is this understanding correct?

b. in the anlage N, pt 36, i commuted by public transport. should i mention the cost in col.7 or could i leave it blank?

c. i pay life insurance premium in my home country. can this be stated in the anlage vorsorgeaufwand? if so, where can i mention this?

thanks.

1. Yes. But you mention your old Steuernummer in the field "Bisherige", along with the name of your old Finanzamt.
  2. Fill in 0.30€ per km of simple (not the way there and back again!) distance between your home and work. You are entitled to that flat rate per km, no matter whether you got there by car, on foot, on a bicycle or whether you beamed over. If your real public transport ticket should cost more than what you calculate with that flat allowance of days_worked x simple_distance x 0.03€ then put in the real costs of your public transport ticket.
  3. You can try to put it into line 50 of Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand, and attach documentary proof of that life insurance. But don't be too surprised if they refuse to accept it.

Hello PandaMunich,

We as a couple came to Germany in February 2010 . My husband as an Indian Employee working in Germany and myself without a job.

Later on, In DEC 2010, i also got a regular German Job and I paid all Taxes + social security + Public Health Insurance.

Please help me in my case:-

My husband does not pay anything in German Social Security(Renten Versicherung + ArbeitsLos etc) . But yes he pays Income Tax, Solidarity and Private Health Insurance.

He does not pay social security in Germany because he is paying in his home country(India) which is also reflected in his German Salary Slip.This is possible because there is an Agreement between Germany and India.

My confusions are:-

Is there any Impact of social security on Income Tax Return? If Yes, then how much in my case??

I have to Fill following forms :-

Mantelbogen, ESt 1V Form

Two Anlage N ( for me and my husband)

For funds sent to India for our parents (Außergewöhnliche Belastung). i could not find the form for the same??

something else??

Is there any way , where i can just get if i will get any return or i have to pay something from my pocket?? I don't want any surprises.

Last but Not the Least- Your detailed explanation is too helpful.Thanks a Ton.You are just amazing!!

Khush

Is there any Impact of social security on Income Tax Return? If Yes, then how much in my case??

Yes, health&nursing and a part of your pension insurance are tax deductible. However, this has already been considered each month when your employer calculated your net salary, so you won't get anything back out of it by doing a tax return.

However, your husband most probably hasn't yet had the cost of his private health insurance considered, so you would get some income tax back because of that.

I have to Fill following forms :-

Mantelbogen, ESt 1V Form

Two Anlage N ( for me and my husband)

For funds sent to India for our parents (Außergewöhnliche Belastung). i could not find the form for the same??

something else??

You will need for each calendar year:

• one Mantelbogen ESt1A (not 1V!), see turquoise section of the TT Elster wiki
  • two Anlage N, one for each of you
  • one Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand, the left column is for your husband, the right column for you
  • one Anlage Unterhalt (it has space for 4 supported parents). However, there are some conditions and bureaucracy, please read Anlage Unterhalt - if you support parents/spouse.

Please don't forget your moving costs in 2010, when your husband moved here because of his job.

You are allowed to claim for all the real costs incurred (transport, hotel while searching for flat, ...), see post 577 in Filing a tax return for the categories.

Plus, you are allowed to claim a flat rate called Umzugspauschale for point 7 "miscellaneous moving costs", see post 379 in Filing a tax return.

For further ideas, please read Tax refund the basics when arriving from abroad.

Is there any way , where i can just get if i will get any return or i have to pay something from my pocket?? I don't want any surprises.

Since you are employees who have already pre-paid income tax through your salaries each month, you can only profit from doing a tax return.

Worst case is that you won't get anything back for a year, but you will not have to pay more income tax because of having submitted a tax return.

Hello PandaMunich,

Thanks a Ton for your reply. Probably I am repeating the same words but your explanation is really exceptional.

We went to a tax consultant recently for tax return consultation, however, after explaining our scenario, he told us that since my husband is not paying the social security and our tax class is also 3 (drawing higher salary) and 5 (lower salary) (and not 4 & 4 tax class), we have to pay approx 1000+ Euro per year to finanzamt which is a big amount. Do you think that we are missing some point. In what circumstances do you think we need to pay back to Finanzamt.

Please note: Since Dec 2010, I am working (tax class 5) and my husband is on tax class 3 since Feb 2010

Thanks in Advance for your help

Merry Christmas

Khush

Since you are on the combo III/V, the Steuerberater is right, you have to submit tax returns and only in the tax return will the final tax burden be calculated.

Only if the spouse in tax class V does not earn anything at all would a tax return not lead to having to pay extra tax.

However, you have no choice, since the spouse in tax class V earned a salary, you are now obliged to do a tax return, and pay the tax that you owed all along.

You really should change to the combo IV/IV with a factor so that in the future you already prepay the right amounts in income tax and avoid having to shell out a big amount in one go.

Hello PandaMunich,

Got it!! So I will start filling my Tax Return for 2010.And then see how it goes..

Regarding your explanation for Umzugspauschale. I read the Post but all the numbers(eg:-760 euro+ outside EU relocation cost) which you have mentioned to someone are not there in the links provided.Also some of the links are no more working.

Considering my case of a married couple moving from india to Germany due to professionl reasons in 2010

1271 euro + ??

Also as i understand whatever total amount comes i have to fill in Column 47 of Anlage N(My husband's Form) and they do not need any proof for that.

Line 45 in Anlage N says Training Cost:- German Integartion course can be included?

Thanks!!

Regarding your explanation for Umzugspauschale. I read the Post but all the numbers(eg:-760 euro+ outside EU relocation cost) which you have mentioned to someone are not there in the links provided.Also some of the links are no more working.

Considering my case of a married couple moving from india to Germany due to professionl reasons in 2010

1271 euro + ??

Also as i understand whatever total amount comes i have to fill in Column 47 of Anlage N(My husband's Form) and they do not need any proof for that.

Line 47: ....€ = sum all real moving costs 1 to 6 from post 577 in this very thread. Attach to your tax return a piece of paper with a calculation showing clearly how you arrived at that sum.

Now to the miscellaneous moving costs from point 7 in post 577 in this very thread.

746.71€ 21% x 80% x Basic_salary_A13_Level8 in 2010 = 0.21 x 0.8 x 4,444.70€ = 746.71€ for the husband

+ 746.71€ for the wife

1,493.42€

The above percentages are calculated according to §18 sections 3 and 4 of the AUV.

If you move from outside the EU to a state within the EU, it's 21% of that basic salary, of which you are only allowed to take 80% if that state of the EU that you moved to happens to be Germany.

Line 48: Umzugspauschale, verheiratet, Umzug aus Indien: 1.493,42€

Line 45 in Anlage N says Training Cost:- German Integartion course can be included?

You can try, but the Integrationskurs is considered part of your private life and therefore not tax deductible.

But by all means, put it in anyway, the only thing they can do is refuse.

Hello PandaMunich,

Regarding Tax class :- What i read on internet is if a couple having salary ratio of 60:40 , i.e. Person A earning 60 Percent of combined salary and person B earning 40 percent of combined salary.Then Tax class 3 for Person A and Tax Class 5 for Person B is fairly okay..Its okay to save tax in that way!!

Is my understanding correct??

I can file my tax on my own for last 4 Years or i am legally obliged to use Tax Consultant Service??( somebody told me that. Although i do not agree). By saying this i meant, since Its for more than 2 Years baacklog , i can not file my tax return on my own!

Thanks!!