Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,315 posts in this topic

2 specific Questions:

1. Steuerklasse. My Lohnsteuerbescheinigung says Klasse III, but there was a mistake and I should have been Klasse IV. This was corrected and I was told that I would have to pay the difference when I do a Steuererklärung. But which one should I put at the top of Anlage N?

2. As an academic (postdoc) I have sometimes had to finance trips to give papers at conferences myself. I assume I can deduct these costs.

a. should this go under Anlage N, section 49 (Werbunskosten: Reisekonsten berüflich veranlasste Auswartstätigkeiten)?

b. If so, I am not sure how to enter flight costs in the Werbungskosten: Auswartstätigkeiten worksheet. The “Fahrtkosten” section seems to have only options for using your own car or public transportation.

Thanks for your help.

1. Doesn't matter, the tax class is irrelevant for the tax return. Since you are married you will have to do a joint tax return with your spouse.

2. a) yes

B) unless you own your own jet, an air plane is public transport. Just put it in there and don't forget to attach proof of attendance to that conference.

However, the first 1000€ of your expenses will not count, because you already got via your salary 1000€ Arbeitnehmerpauschbetrag.

Thanks Munich Panda! May I ask one more question: For one such trip I went first to visit California for a couple of weeks, then on the way back stopped in Canada for the conference. Any idea if I can claim any of that? Thanks,

Socrates74

You can try to claim for it, but be prepared that they will reject most of the travel costs since x% of the duration of the trip was privately motivated, i.e. you wanted some time home.

Does anyone know if i claim my property expenses from Australia against my total income from my job here in Germany and my rental income back in Australia?

Thanks.

First off, as far as I know, Australia has the taxation rights to your Australian rental income.

The only thing Germany does is consider your rental profit (not income!) when calculating the tax rate you have to pay on your German income, this is called Progressionsvorbehalt.

Well , there are enough German landlords who have Hausverwaltungen who insist on having their reporting years run differently from the calendar year, so they have the same problem.

It is just a matter of looking only at the income and expenditures that you had during that calendar year, it has no relationship at all with your Australian tax return.

You simply attach to your German tax return a sheet of paper showing how you calculated your profit (= "income that calendar year" minus "expenditures that calendar year").

Hi all, so muct get my tax return finished. We moved house last year (only around the corner) can I claim the expenses on my tax return in Anlage N line 47?

Thanks for any help, I'm not very good at this but getting there slowly!

We moved house last year (only around the corner) can I claim the expenses on my tax return in Anlage N line 47?

Sorry, but no.

You would only be allowed to claim for the move if your way to work would now be at least 1 hour shorter than before the move.

Thank you for the quick reply. Next question: we built our house last year and I don't expect to claim the house price but wondered if things line additional drainage work, garden fence renovations and additional painting costs can be claimed in the line 76 in the Hauptvordruck?

we built our house last year and I don't expect to claim the house price but wondered if things line additional drainage work, garden fence renovations and additional painting costs can be claimed in the line 76 in the Hauptvordruck?

I think the key word in your post is "built".

The things you are allowed to claim for (and get back 20% of regardless of your personal tax rate) in line 76 of the Mantelbogen ESt 1a are the work part (not the material!) of handymen invoices for renovating, not for building new things.

So the question is whether the Finanzamt will not simply say that those things are related to you building your house, and are therefore not eligible.

But you can try, if you are lucky, it will be waved through.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and couldn't find anything. There are two lines on my Lohnsteuerbescheinigung that I'm not sure where to enter in my tax return.

Line 36 lists a value for AN-Anteil VBL-Umlage. Since it's some sort of supplementary pension insurance I thought it would go somewhere on the Vorsorgeaufwand, but I can't figure out where.

Line 34 lists some kind of local state tax or fee or something (Kammerbeiträge Saar). Does anyone know if it gets entered anywhere?

Thanks!

Line 36 lists a value for AN-Anteil VBL-Umlage. Since it's some sort of supplementary pension insurance I thought it would go somewhere on the Vorsorgeaufwand, but I can't figure out where.

Since you work in the west and if you started paying into the VBL after 2005, you cannot claim for them at all in your tax return.

The reason for this is that you pay them out of your untaxed income and therefore paid no income tax on them that you could then recuperate.

For details please see post 408 in this very thread.

You can also read up on this in this flyer (in English) on the VBL.

Though from what they say in there on the second page, the Saarland does not use the VBL...

Line 34 lists some kind of local state tax or fee or something (Kammerbeiträge Saar). Does anyone know if it gets entered anywhere?

Put it into Anlage N, line 41. Those are Werbungskosten, to be exact "Beiträge zu Berufsverbänden" (= contributions to a professional association).

Thanks very much PandaMunich! I don't know why I'm paying into VBL when the page says the Saarland doesn't use it. It's all very mysterious to me.

PandaMunich - I understand from earlier posts that you’re an engineer, but in an earlier life you must have been a Steuerberater :). That is a very interesting post you have in the Wiki and helpful answers to people. I have decided to dare to file a return myself with my very limited German skills :)

I have a very simple return, basically only travel to and from work (22 km one way in my own car).

But I am a bit confused though.

1) The field Werbungskosten are both in Anlage N and in Mantelbogen – Do I fill both out with the same details?

Also, I work full time but shift and irregular schedule. What do I put in the:

2) “Arbeitstage je Woche” and “Urlaubs und Krankentage” – I work fulltime but 4 to 6 days a week?

3) „Arbeitsstätte aufgesucht an“ – Do I really have to remember what days I worked for the entire year? Is there no pausschale I enter if I don't know.

4)I have a Steuernummer since last year (last year someone charged me almost more than I got back to help me out), is this still valid or will this year’s taxes get a new number. Confused if I should fill it out or leave it blank

I guess I need to go in person since mailing it would not make it in time. Which Finanzamt do I go to drop it off, anywhere in Munich? To minimize any issues:

5) I only need to sign the Mantelbogen (Anlage N and Vorsorgaufwand has weirdly no boxes for signatures) and they want all sheets of papers in a envelope?

Simple questions, but I find it a little bit scary to deal with German government tax workers.

1) The field Werbungskosten are both in Anlage N and in Mantelbogen – Do I fill both out with the same details?

Well, officially, the Mantelbogen ESt 1V is supposed to be Mantelbogen and Anlage N rolled up into one.

However, in my experience, there is nearly no employee who has such a simple situation to only need to fill in the Mantelbogen ESt 1V, that's why I added the instructions for Anlage N.

So yes, if you have additional stuff to declare in Anlage N, then you will have redundancies between the Mantelbogen ESt 1V and Anlage N.

Or you simply use the longer, 4 page Mantelbogen ESt 1A, which has no overlap with Anlage N (instructions in the turquoise section of the TT Elster wiki).

Also, I work full time but shift and irregular schedule. What do I put in the:

2) “Arbeitstage je Woche” and “Urlaubs und Krankentage” – I work fulltime but 4 to 6 days a week?

Just write 4-6

3) „Arbeitsstätte aufgesucht an“ – Do I really have to remember what days I worked for the entire year? Is there no pausschale I enter if I don't know.

Yes, you really have to know exactly.

So get out your calendar, strike off the public holidays and the days you were on vacation and off sick and then try to find a number that sounds reasonable.

4)I have a Steuernummer since last year (last year someone charged me almost more than I got back to help me out), is this still valid or will this year’s taxes get a new number. Confused if I should fill it out or leave it blank

If you didn't move to another city in the mean time then it is still valid.

I guess I need to go in person since mailing it would not make it in time. Which Finanzamt do I go to drop it off, anywhere in Munich?

As an employee, the deadline of 31. May does not apply to you, you can submit it whenever you like.

Which Finanzamt do I go to drop it off, anywhere in Munich? To minimize any issues:

5) I only need to sign the Mantelbogen (Anlage N and Vorsorgaufwand has weirdly no boxes for signatures) and they want all sheets of papers in a envelope?

Yes, you sign just on the Mantelbogen and snail mail it to (or drop it off in person at the glass Servicezentrum cube if you don't trust Deutsche Post, opening times):

• Finanzamt München
    Deroystraße 6
    80335 München

Just a hint: with your tax return you can get back 20% of your Hausmeister fees and other handyman work fees. Your Hausverwaltung should have added the eligible expenses up for you in your yearly Hausgeldabrechnung, and sent you an extra sheet certifying to costs according to "§35a EstG" - those are the ones you put into the Mantelbogen (into Mantelbogen ESt 1V line 46, or in Mantelbogen ESt 1A line 76).

For details please see post 309 in this very thread.

Dear PandaMunich,

A question, whether the tuition expenses for bachelor studies should go into sonderausgaben (line 40 for 2011) in EST_1_V or werbungkosten (line 46-49) in Anlage N.

Thank you so much.

Hello all,

Can any one help me out with "Anlage Unterhaelt 2012" filling up? this is my first time filling all these tax forms. i have already got "Maintenance Declaration forms" for my mother and father. i have done extensive search for English Translation for Anlage Unterhaelt but no use. may be i'm not that good in searching. My German is very poor as well. Please help me! thanks in advance.