Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,328 posts in this topic

I am currently using Steuer Go to fill out a tax return for 2020, because I was under the impression that it could handle foreign income (from freelance work).

My situation is quite tricky. I was only in Germany for the last two months of 2020. Before then I was all in the UK. My single source of income in 2020 was from a third country and was when I was in the UK. But obviously, I still need to supply all the details to my Finanzamt.

As I understand it, my aforementioned one-off payment for freelance work would qualify as "Form AUS (foreign income and taxes)", right? Not "Form S incl. Form EÜR"?

But the prompt on Steuer Go tells me "The following income tax return forms are not available: Form AUS - Foreign income and taxes"

So should I be using different software to fill out my tax form, one which supports Form AUS?

If I paid €5000 for a course at a private school which lasted for the full year of 2019, and then started working directly after the course in January 2020, can I make any deductions for the course in 2020's declaration? Or is the possibility to deduct strictly separated by year?

Probably a stupid question here, but does make a difference to the Kinderfreibetrag if I am in tax class 1 or 2?

A friend told me that I have to be in tax lass 2 to be able to claim anything, but I am actually in class 1 at the moment - should I change it?

38 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Probably a stupid question here, but does make a difference to the Kinderfreibetrag if I am in tax class 1 or 2?

No, the Kinderfreibetrag is always the same.

38 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

A friend told me that I have to be in tax class 2 to be able to claim anything, but I am actually in class 1 at the moment - should I change it?

Steuerklasse 2 has an extra tax-free allowance called Alleinerziehendenentlastungsbetrag (single parent relief amount) of 4,008€, i.e. through changing from tax class 1 to tax class 2, your income would be lowered by a 4,800€ and you would save in tax:

• personal_variable_income_tax_rate + 4,008€

However, to get tax class 2, you are not allowed to live in the same household as another adult person and as far as I recall, your ex left his mother behind when he moved out.

So if your mother-in-law is still living with you within the same household, e.g. you share the same kitchen/fridge, or you have moved in with your boyfriend, you are not eligible for tax class 2.

Thanks for that Pandamunich!

Yes, X left, but Schwieger-Tiger lives in a separate flat to me, so I guess I need to change tax class - any idea how I do that?

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

so I guess I need to change tax class - any idea how I do that?

Fill in the "Antrag auf Lohnsteuer-Ermäßigung" with its "Anlage Kinder" (that's not the "Anlage Kind" you may know from your tax return!): https://www.finanzamt.bayern.de/Informationen/Formulare/fms.php?n=034008_21

61083bbf9c536_2021-08-0220_38_45-Formula

Mark the box next to "up to 4 children":

61083abb7585c_2021-08-0220_34_02-Formula

You will see that the system now added 2 extra pages to the form:

61083bd481724_2021-08-0220_35_02-Formula

Now click on the "page 2" icon, to start filling in the application:

61083c0b35779_2021-08-0220_39_40-Formula

Fill in your own details:

61083cfb973e7_2021-08-0220_43_34-Formula

Click on the "page 4" icon, and then fill in your daughter's details:

61083dfb888ce_2021-08-0220_47_47-Formula

Click on the "page 5" icon and fill in:

610841da3d4db_2021-08-0221_04_44-Formula

Now click on the printer symbol to print the filled in forms to pdf:

61083e87c7f2b_2021-08-0220_50_24-Formula

and click on the link at the top "PDF-Datei anzeigen":

61083eb9013c3_2021-08-0220_51_16-Formula

The filled in form will now be opened in a new tab and you can download it and then print it:

61083f0ac0534_2021-08-0220_52_21-10-Antr

Now sign it on page 2 and send it to your local Finanzamt.

That will take care of you being in tax class 2 from now on forward.

If you like, you can also download the "contents" of what you just filled in as an XML file and later import these contents into an empty form.

To do that, click on the XML download icon:

6108422b66666_2021-08-0221_06_17-Formula

and then click on the link to that XML file to download it:

61084257a8263_2021-08-0221_06_50-Formula

And later, you can upload the "contents" by clicking on the XML upload icon:

610842aab40cc_2021-08-0221_08_21-Formula

610842d3451ae_2021-08-0221_09_00-Formula

Please note that you can also get this special tax-free allowance applied retroactively, you just have to file tax returns.

You are allowed to file tax returns for the last 4 years, i.e. you can file 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 up to 31.12.2021.

I have filled out my first ever tax return for 2020 on Elster and while it says I have not made any mistakes and can send it off, I remember being certain I had made no mistakes in another country, only to find I had somehow filed myself as a special category of citizen entitled to benefits from being a "victim of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster" (which I was most certainly not, how that came about I do not know)... So thought I would just check a couple of non-complex things here in case anyone can uncover any potential mistakes I have made.

1. When filling out the form on health and pension insurance (Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand), the only thing I pay is my statutory public health insurance every month. So I filled in Beiträge zur inländischen gesetzlichen Kranken- und Pflegeversicherung and specifically Zeile 16 Beiträge zu Krankenversicherungen - ohne Beiträge, die in Zeile 11 geltend gemacht werden - (zum Beispiel bei Rentnern, bei freiwillig gesetzlich versicherten Selbstzahlern). It wanted me to also fill in Zeile 18 Beiträge zu sozialen Pflegeversicherungen - ohne Beiträge, die in Zeile 13 geltend gemacht werden - (zum Beispiel bei Rentnern, bei freiwillig gesetzlich versicherten Selbstzahlern) so I just filled it in as “zero”... correct?

2. My only source of income was from abroad and so I filled in Anlage AUS. The Finanzamt told me exactly where I should put it in the AUS form and I asked them tons of questions, so no issues there. I was not sure if I should replicate everything in Anlage S, but in the end left Anlage S completely blank, because I had no Gewinn or any other income actually associated with Germany, just everything that fell under Anlage AUS. Correct? 

3. This is only a minor thing, but throughout the form, next to my name, was always a second section for Ehefrau / Person B. I am single, never been married, live by myself, so I wondered if I had left something out of my basic information on this subject right at the very start, to explain why this was always cropping up? Or is this just the way the templates are constructed?