Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,315 posts in this topic

Hallo Leute,

it is my first time filling taxes here, and I am using 'elster eportal'. After reading the /wiki/German_taxes I still have some doubts.

1 - Banking fees - I understood that I can declare up to 16 Euros without any proofs. I would prefer to declare 71€ since Deutsche Bank charges me 17,70€ each quarter. Where can I upload/deliver the proof to justify this amount?

2 - Where to insert the "Legal and Tax advice" costs?

3 - I have a mobile prepaid simcard that I recharge when needed. Can I claim around 50€ for "Telephone, mobile expenses" even if I have no receipts?

4 - And last, I've joined an Allianz travel insurance (around 45€ per year). Can I claim this somewhere?

Hello guys

In the middle of last year I moved to Germany (from my EU country) and now I need to fill tax income for 2019, specially income I earned in 2019 before moving (WA-EST). 

I gathered various info what this income could be:

1. gross salary (including already payed income tax and social securities in home country)

2. gross salary excluding werbungskosten ( e.g. commuting costs). 

3. gross salary excluding social securities (.e.g public health insurance, public pension) - it was mentioned https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/200856-filing-a-tax-return-help-on-how-to-file/?do=findComment&comment=3464523  by @PandaMunich

4. my personal favourite and fair would be, only to fill net salary :)

What is the lowest possible amount to be used ? :)

What amount did you input in there? 

Hello, I just bought QuickSteuer2020 for 15 euro.

Anybody knows by which date must be documents be sent this year? Is there some delaying possible this year due to Corona?

Hello,

I just started to complete the data for 2019 in QuickSteuer2020 and I have some questions, if anybody knows and can point to the respective "Zelle" and form name then I can also manually fill the forms (I don't expect anybody to provide QuickSteuer support, although for 15 euro this is a very good program).

I am selbstbezahler for KV and RV, and my wife was also insured on my insurance starting from July last year. (Until July she received ALG)

I completed the AnlVor for myself for the Beitrag that I payed for KV and RV (Zelle 16,17), but if I choose that also my wife benefits from the insurance then the value is also completed also on her form, which doesn't seem to be ok.

She had ALG for 7 months, then she was insured on my insured, how should I complete the AnlVor for her?

After completing the forms, QuickSteuer makes a final estimation of what you will pay/receive and it says that we must pay around 3k!!!

This is taking into account that our total income for 2019 is half of what it was in 2018 (only me working), plus that I also added some moving costs that amounted to around 8k euro Pauschal.

There is some comparison feature between 2018 and 2019, and from what I could understand the difference is related to the Progression tax.

Does this mean that in 2019 I was taxed too little, or that somehow because my wife received ALG for 1 year between 2018 and 2019 this has a bad influence on the

Steuer?

Untitled.png.107779d5c4b8cda154aaeaeb0d9

I am wondering if I did some big mistake, I filled the forms separately for me and my wife and I am tax class 3 and she is 5, is there any advantage in filling together as she didn't work?

Hi all

We use an accountants for this. It costs us around 1,500 euros a year! we usually get about 650 euro rebate 

Can anyone else recommend cheaper firms/tell me how much it costs them?! 

On 2/10/2014, 7:08:03, PandaMunich said:

Here are the instructions for declaring capital income.

Anlage KAP (2012)

Line 1 Name X in Zur Einkommensteuererkarung

Line 2 Forename

Line 3 Tax Number X in stpfl Person Ehemann if it's your form, or you are a single female or X in Ehefrau if it's your wife's.

Line 4 = 1

Line 5 = 1

Line 6 blank unless you pay church tax

Capital income that was taxed at the source in Germany with 25% Abgeltungsteuer (+ Soli 5,5% on these 25%):

Line 7 Amount of German capital income, including interest, dividends, profit from selling stocks/shares, trading futures, selling an option, and so on

Line 8 contained in amount of line 7: profit made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien) or trading futures

Line 9 contained in amount of line 8: Profit you made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien)

Line 10 contained in amount of line 7: the money you got for selling an option (i.e. short call or short put), in German: Stillhalterprämien

Line 11: only applies if you can't prove what you initially paid for a stock/share, they then tax you on 30% of the selling price instead of on the profit you made

line 12: remaining (after adding up your losses with your profits!) loss from capital income, without the loss from selling shares/stocks

line 13: remaining loss from selling shares/stocks

Line 14 Amount of your 801€ (1,602€ savers' allowance if you're married) that you have used up

Capital income that was not taxed at the source in Germany with 25% Abgeltungsteuer (+ Soli 5,5% on these 25%):

Line 16 German capital income that for whatever reason was not taxed at the source (except the amount from line 23)

Line 17 Sum of all your non-German capital income

Line 18 contained in amounts of lines 16 and 17: profit made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien) or trading futures

Line 19 contained in amount of line 18: Profit you made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien)

Line 20 contained in amounts of lines 16 and 17: the loss you applied to to reach the resulting amounts in line 16 and 17, without the loss from selling shares/stocks

Line 21 contained in amounts of lines 16 and 17: the loss from selling shares/stocks

Line 22 contained in amounts of lines 16 and 17: the money you got for selling an option (i.e. short call or short put), in German: Stillhalterprämien

Line 23 interest you received from the Finanzamt because they were late with a tax reimbursement

Capital income that will not be taxed at 25% Abgeltungsteuer (= normal flat tax rate), but at your personal income tax rate:

Concerns the following capital income:

• if you hold a share in a company and get a share of the profit in return (stiller Gesellschafter)
  • if you gave a company a loan whose interest/repayment depends on that company's profit (partiarisches Darlehen)
  • If you gave a near relative a loan, and that relative deducted the interest on that loan as a business expense in their tax return, then you will have to tax the interest you get on that loan with your personal tax rate and not the normal flat tax rate of 25% (§32d Abs. 2 Nr. 1a EStG).
  • If you gave a loan to a corporation (e.g. GmbH, AG, Ltd., ...) in which you or a near relative own at least 10% of the shares, then you will have to tax the interest you get on that loan with your personal tax rate and not the normal flat tax rate of 25% (§32d Abs. 2 Nr. 1b and 1c EStG).
  • If you received dividends (= shares of a company's profits), and you work for that company and own at least 1% of its shares (§32d Abs. 2 Nr. 3a EStG), or you don't work for them but own at least 25% of its shares (§32d Abs. 2 Nr. 3b EStG):
    Or if you sell your shares and had owned at least 1% of its shares (§17 Abs. 1 EStG) then you can opt in this section to not pay the standard flat tax of 25% on that income, but instead your personal tax rate.
    To make this calculation a bit trickier, this income the underlies something called the Teileinkünfteverfahren (§3 Nr. 40 EStG), which basically means that only 60% of it is taxable. So only opt for this if your personal tax rate on the your total income if you include this income is smaller than 41.67% (0.6x < 25% --> x < 41.67%), otherwise the standard flat tax of 25% is more advantageous to you.
    The savers' allowance (Sparerfreibatrag) of 801€/1,602€ will not apply then, but in exchange you are allowed to reduce that income by the associated costs, i.e. bank transfer costs, postage and so on. Don't forget to a piece of paper with a table explaining how you reached the resulting profit, i.e. dividend income minus associated costs, or selling price minus purchase price minus associated costs.
    This choice will remain valid for 5 years in total, unless you write them a letter telling that you no longer opt for this together with one of your future tax returns. So should you have a higher income next year and your personal tax rate therefore rise above limit where it makes sense to opt for this, don't forget to write that letter to get rid of this option again!

Any Kapitalertragsteuer, Solidaritätszuschlag or church tax that was already deducted for this income will have to be declared in lines 56 to 58.

Any non-German tax you already paid on this income should not be declared in lines 53 and 54, but in Anlage AUS.

Line 25: yearly interest from such loans or yearly dividends

Line 26: one-off profit from selling on such loans or shares

Line 27: put in a "1" if you opt to tax these dividends/share sale profits at your personal tax rate

Line 28: if you put a 1 in line 27, now tell them: name of that company, that company's Finanzamt, that company's tax number / income for which you opt for taxation with your personal tax rate

Page 2 of Anlage KAP (2012)

If you held a stake, for example, in a group of heirs (= Erbengemeinschaft) and the Finanzamt will have issued you a Feststellungsbescheid telling how much of that group's capital income was allocated to you:

This profit from either yearly dividends or one-off income if you sell shares will also be taxed according to the Teileinkünfteverfahren (§3 Nr. 40 EStG), i.e. only 60% of the capital profit are taxable.

Line 31 stake in company 1: name of that group 1, that group1's Finanzamt, that group 1's tax number / stake in group 2: name of that group 2, that group 2's Finanzamt, that group 2's tax number

Capital income from that stake that has already been taxed in Germany:

Line 32 total capital income from that/those stake(s)

Line 33 contained in amount of line 32: profit made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien) or trading futures

Line 34 contained in amount of line 33: Profit you made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien)

Line 35 contained in amount of line 32: the money you got for selling an option (i.e. short call or short put), in German: Stillhalterprämien

Line 36: only applies if you can't prove what you initially paid for a stock/share, they then tax you on 30% of the selling price instead of on the profit you made

line 37: remaining (after adding up your losses with your profits!) loss from capital income, without the loss from selling shares/stocks

line 38: remaining loss from selling shares/stocks

Capital income from the stake that was not taxed at the source in Germany:

Line 39 German capital income that for whatever reason was not taxed at the source, except for the amount in line 45

Line 40 contained in amount of line 39: profit made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien) or trading futures

Line 41 contained in amount of line 40: profit you made from selling stocks/shares (= Aktien)

Line 42 contained in amounts of line 39: the loss you applied to to reach the resulting amount in line 39, without the loss from selling shares/stocks

Line 43 contained in amounts of line 39: the loss from selling shares/stocks

Line 44 contained in amounts of line 39: the money you got for selling an option (i.e. short call or short put), in German: Stillhalterprämien

Tax you already prepaid for the sections line 7 to 22 (fill into left column) and line 31 to 46 (fill into right column):

Line 50 Fill in amount of Kapitalertragsteuer (= 25% Abgeltungsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you (if they haven't issued you one, ask them to do it, it will be free of cost)

Line 51 Fill in amount of Solidaritätszuschlag (= 5.5% of Kapitalertragsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you

Line 52 Fill in amount of church tax (= around 9% of Kapitalertragsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you

Line 53 Fill in if you hold foreign shares in a German bank. In that case the foreign tax, for example on dividends, will have already been used by that German bank to reduce the Kapitalertragsteuer you owe (take the entry from the Steuerbescheinigung)

Line 54 Fill in foreign tax from investmenst held in non-German banks, i.e foreign tax that hasn't yet been considered. Also look into the Steuerbescheinigung from your German bank, there may also be something for this line in there.

Line 55: Fill in amount of "fiktive Quellensteuer" from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you

Tax you already prepaid for the section line 25 to 28:

Line 56 Fill in amount of Kapitalertragsteuer (= 25% Abgeltungsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you (if they haven't issued you one, ask them to do it, it will be free of cost)

Line 57 Fill in amount of Solidaritätszuschlag (= 5.5% of Kapitalertragsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you

Line 58 Fill in amount of church tax (= around 9% of Kapitalertragsteuer) from the Steuerbescheinigung that your German bank(s) issued you

Line 59 Fill in sum of source tax that you paid that was already forwarded to Germany according to the ZIV (= Zinsinformationsverordnung = regulation for informing the country where you reside about interest you earned). You will have received a Steuerbescheinigung about it from your foreign bank.

This is about source tax on investments held in:

•  
  • Luxembourg
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • Liechtenstein
  • San Marino
  • Andorra
  • Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man
  • British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caico Islands, Dutch Antilles

Line 60, Line 61: is about losses that you had in 2008 or earlier. Put a "1" in there if you had such an old loss and now want to use it up

Line 62 is about dodgy tax evasion models like investments in a company created just to finance a movie. If you had one of those, fill in its name here and attach all relevant documentation so that the Finanzamt can decide for itself just how dodgy it was, i.e. whether to accept the losses caused by it or not.

However, to avoid the questions that will for sure appear from the Finanzamt on how you reached the totals that you filled into Anlage KAP, especially about the foreign part which is not automatically reported to the Finanzamt like the German capital income, it is advisable that you attach an excel table listing for each investment fund, bank, etc. all the details that you previously had to fill into the Anlage AUS (which is no longer needed, except if you filled lines 27 and 28 in Anlage KAP):

Type of capital income: e.g. Investmentfonds ABC, or Festgeld, or Zinsen, ...

Gross amount of capital income for that investment:

Foreign tax you already paid on it:

Also attach copies of all the banks slips you have attesting to these amounts.

Don't forget to attach all the Steuerbescheinigungen you got from your German banks and ZIV-banks in the original.

Anlage AUS

Officially, this form is no longer needed for foreign capital income (except if you had to fill in lines 27 and 28 in Anlage KAP, then you do need it).

Dear @PandaMunich,

I have completed my Elster formular for 2018, however i am confused in declaring my loss made from day trading in a foreign broker. 

I have regular income from a German company. I used this money, and open an account in a broker based in Cyprus. I did thousand of tradings (including stocks, energy, DAX, SPX500 .., sell and buy positions). The dividends i got were negligible. In total i lost a few hundred euros(same happened in 2019). My broker does not separate the trades. I only know the lost amount. 

Should i only fill KAP formular, or should i fill KAP-INV as well(since i traded SPX500, Nasdaq100...)? I don't know if these things are considered as ETFs?  

The problem is that it is very hard to separate all trades. Since i only lost, i wonder if i can only enter the total lost amount, e.g. In  line 10 or 11 of KAP. (or if i should write them somewhere in KAP-INV?)

I would appreciate if you can help me in this matter.  I also wrote my situation here.

Hello,

At the begging of May by using Elster software I communicated my tax declaration for 2019 to my Tax office and last week, I received the "Steuerfestsetzung". And surprisingly the officer simply ignored my request for tax refund as "Handwerkerleistungen". They didn't even request for any document; just ignored it!! According to the invoice that I received from my landlord for additional costs of 2018, I filled "Anlage Haushaltsnahe Aufwendungen" form and file 799 Euro as "Gartenpflege; Treppenhausreinigung". 

Could you please help me how I can reply to the tax office and request for considering the "Handwerkerleistungen"? I really appreciate if you can give me a template letter to write the office for this request. And if I should send an official invoice along with the letter, what I should request from my landlord? I just have a simple tabular invoice from him with all cost for whole of the building and my share part. Thank you in advance.

Regards, 

Hello, funny to see this thread on 3rd page of this forum,

This year to keep tradition there is a new item to be filled and I would like to ask if anyone can confirm that:

1 - Riester-Rente contribuitions go to Anlage AV ?

2- The pre-paid taxes that were imposed by the previous tax return were paid in 2019/20, is there anywhere I can indicate tihs in Elster?

Thank you in advance

Dear @PandaMunich

I would be highly obliged if you could help me the following situation.

I am planning to open a joint brokerage account in US with my friends who are residents in US.

I have a German passport, a normal job here in Germany and file my taxes like anyone else here. 

From tax point of view how will the capital gains tax be handled here in Germany for this joint brokerage account ? 

What should I keep in mind before going forward ?

It is very difficult to find any information on internet, hence any guidance here would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Oxy

Hi all,

What if someone moves to Germany in December, pays everything themselves and get partially tax-free, partially taxed reimbursement from the company January the following year?

i.e.

Everything paid in December (by the employee)

Everything reimbursed in January together with the wage (by the company)

BUT

- 8000 euros are steuer und sozialversicherungsfrei

- 2000 euros are -pflichtig.

So netto is < 10000.

Are taxed 2000 euros claimed in the year X (as they are paid in this year) or the year X+1 (as they are taxed this year)?

On 7/10/2020, 7:48:17, erlankoy said:

Hi all,

What if someone moves to Germany in December, pays everything themselves and get partially tax-free, partially taxed reimbursement from the company January the following year?

This is a heads up for other people who might be looking for the same information in the future. As far as I have read, due to the Abflussprinzip, the costs should be claimed in the year moving costs have been paid by the employee, i.e. the year X. The tax amount paid for the steuerpflichtig (taxable) reimbursement in year X+1 should be swallowed. It is, in theory, free money/bonus for the employee anyway.

NOTE: Please do not take any action according to this message, it is only what I would have done if I would be the one filling this form in real life. When reading this message, please take into consideration that I have NO KNOWLEDGE on German tax system. My German is also mediocre, I am researching the tax use cases from my circle of friends, myself and Internet as a hobby, with the intention of studying the way of German collective thinking. The fun and improving my German comes as a bonus. Feel free to correct me in any way.

hello dear all, I'm doing the tax declaration for 2019 and filling in the Anlage EÜR. In this part I'm supposed to fill in the net income which is subject to VAT. The blank "Bezeichnung" seems to be new, it wasn't here last year!? I don't quite understand this word ("designation" in dictionary...) Should I enter all my clients' names line by line here, or should I just briefly mention the project/job natures? Thank you in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-23 at 22.38.09.jpeg

I have a business (Anlage G) with an income for 2019 of €0. But it won't accept €0 as a valid amount.

Sorry for the noob question

EDIT: i figured it out. you have to say *what* you earned nothing for, then it allows €0

Hello..I have filed my first german tax return in elster but was wondering whether to send the supporting documents (proof of payments to dependants etc) by mail to them separately now or just wait until you have been explicitly requested to do so?

Cheers

I have tax returns since 2017 pending.

2019 and 2020 are easier ones. And get some stuff off my table :)

Can I file the later ones first - or, all have to be filed in sequence?