Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,308 posts in this topic

Due to movement from one city to the other, do I send my previous tax declaration not done to the old Finanzamt. Many thanks

Hi all, got a question if anyone knows..

I am on assignment in Germany and have a German residence permit and my wife (with EU citizenship) remains in the home country. I undestand i can apply for the German married tax table regardless of the amount of income that the wife earns (all her income is in home country). However, also outside income of both spouses that isn’t taxed in Germany is used to determine the tax rate.

I am not sure though if her income (now favourably taxed in home country) will then be additionally taxed in Germany per established tax rate?

Hello PandaMunich,

Please, this is my first time feeling the Elster form. I need help with the Elster form, it does not accept information on certain fields, what should I do.

Is there a sample for the completion of the online form. Thank you.

Hi everyone!

Do you know if I can add my wife's study expenses to our joint tax assessment if she has no income? She's a student in a Hochschule and she has a plenty of study-related expenses (public transport ticket, books, etc). I'm wondering if I can deduct them as Werbungskosten.

If it is allowed, how can I indicate in the papers that she's a student?

Can any one please help me out the way to file my tax return with for 2019?

I left Germany in April 2019 and did my abmeldung.

Now I want to file a tax return for 2019 but Elster website do not allow me as I think it is because I am no more a resident in Germany.

Hello,

I do not know if anyone has any experience with this. In 2019 I was a working student till March when I extramatriculated. I started paying for the social contributions in April as one could not as a student. How do I indicate this when filing my taxes?

Hi, 

My wife is freiberuflich and played some concerts abroad last year. For one concert in Switzerland, the local Kanton took some taxes (Quellensteuer) out of her payment. We have a Bescheid from the agency that she works for in Germany to this end. My question is how to declare this already paid tax in the tax declaration? I did not find a place to put it in the EÜR Anlage and I thought it does not belong in the AUS Anlage as it is a concert organised by a German company and paid for by the German company too...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi all,

I moved to Germany last April with my wife. Finanzamt office recently sent me to fill out an Anlage WA-EST 2019 form for last year after sending my tax declaration. So which lines should I need to complete in that form ? Note: I am coming from a non EU country, and worked there between January 2019 and March 2019. 

Hi all,

How does one do a tax declaration for the two different Steuerbescheinigung for the same year? Does one add the different amounts and report them or?

On 13/03/2020, 22:14:43, papak said:

Hi all,

How does one do a tax declaration for the two different Steuerbescheinigung for the same year? Does one add the different amounts and report them or?

From memory there is the option to input multiple Steuerbescheinigunen in the same Anlage-N. "Weitere e-Tin" I think.

Which pulls in the information that the FInazamt already has.

Is Elster maybe freaking out?

• It keeps saying that the Rechtsform des Betriebs is wrong. I'm freelance as Künstler and I'm selecting Angehörige der freien Beruf.
  • It won't allow me to leave "Entnahmen und Einlagen im Sinne des § 4 Absatz 4a" blank (which is what I've read on here is the thing to do. As far as I can understand it is not relevant to me).

Any ideas?...

Are you doing the return on Elster (digitally) or in paper form?

If you're doing it digitally, then the line numbering in the TT Wiki will not make sense, but the descriptions of what's needed still does.

If you need the help because you can't understand the German then you will either have to smash google translate / DeepL / dict.cc or pay someone who can help / do it for you.

2 hours ago, stokc said:

Hello, is there anybody to give me a little help with the instructions which are written here : https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/ELSTER

I am trying to fill in my declarations by myself but i have noticed that they are a little bit different from 2013 !

yes, its all about paper form!

Will be great if there are new instructions!

On 3/19/2020, 10:00:54, JungleJim said:

From memory there is the option to input multiple Steuerbescheinigunen in the same Anlage-N. "Weitere e-Tin" I think.

Which pulls in the information that the FInazamt already has.

Hi PandaMunich,

Is the above statement the right way to do it?

Thank you!

PandaMunich does an insane job on here already. People should check the source info themselves and the forum first. Here it is already written in the TT Elster Wiki:
"line 4: your eTIN / any other eTINs you got from other Lohnsteuerbescheinugungen"

On 01/03/2020, 18:25:26, PandaMunich said:

PandaMunich, you're right as always! About the Anlage AUS though: my wife is paid through a German agency, so can I just fill in the AUS Anlage with 0 in line 7 (Einkünfte) and 150 (the tax that was paid) in line 12 for that particular country?

No, you also declare the income that was subject to the source tax for artists there.

Through which agency your wife was booked is irrelevant, she performed in Switzerland, which is why she had to pay Swiss income tax, in accordance with article 17 (1) of the double taxation agreement between Germany and Switzerland: https://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Standardartikel/Themen/Steuern/Internationales_Steuerrecht/Staatenbezogene_Informationen/Laender_A_Z/Schweiz/1972-09-09-Schweiz-DBA-Konsolidierte-Fassung.pdf

This Swiss income will also be declared in her Anlage EÜR and it will be part of her profit that is declared in Anlage S line 4.

Anlage AUS: https://www.finanzamt.bayern.de/Informationen/Formulare/fms.php?n=034010_19

line 4: Schweiz

line 5: selbständige Tätigkeit

line 6: Anlage S, Zeile 4

line 7: her Swiss performance income

line 12: Swiss source tax

20 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

This Swiss income will also be declared in her Anlage EÜR and it will be part of her profit that is declared in Anlage S line 4.

Anlage AUS: https://www.finanzamt.bayern.de/Informationen/Formulare/fms.php?n=034010_19

line 4: Schweiz

line 5: selbständige Tätigkeit

line 6: Anlage S, Zeile 4

line 7: her Swiss performance income

line 12: Swiss source tax

Ah I see! So we declare in Anlage AUS all the income form concerts played in other countries, say a total of 1000EUR, plus the total taxation incurred on that income. We then declare in line 1 of Anlage EÜR the total income for that year, summed over all countries. And the already paid taxes we declared in Anlage AUS then enter the calculation done by the Steueramt of how much income tax we are supposed to pay?

Also, she has a Bahncard 50 for business travels, this gets declared in line 50 for 2019 EÜR Anlage? This post from 2013 suggests it's in lines 54-56, but that is something not travel related now. Or should it be line 83 instead?