Filing a tax return - help on how to file

3,272 posts in this topic

I have a trading account with Flatex since ... 2014 I think.

In early 2015 I managed to have a positive gain(+2K) that was taxed automatically with each transaction but towards the end of the same year I managed to go negative(-2K), losses that I never managed to recover (my balance is negative still today) and never did this offset with taxes.

This year, when I will be filling the taxes for 2018, I plan to offset these losses against the tax I payed(hope i expressed it correctly). The problem I am facing is that in Flatex I can only claim this for 2019 and need to pick one of these 2 options:

1. Verlustbescheinigungen über die Höhe des nicht ausgeglichenen Verlustes aus der Veräußerung von Aktien (soweit zum Jahresende anrechenbare Verluste vorliegen)

2. Verlustbescheinigungen über die Höhe des nicht ausgeglichenen Verlustes ohne Verlust aus der Veräußerung von Aktien (soweit zum Jahresende anrechenbare Verluste vorliegen)

Q1: I think i need to go for option 1. but I am not sure. Basic idea is that I continued trading afterwards but the loss just got slightly smaller. I just want to reset everything (currently if I have a positive gain this is not taxed automatically with the 25% anymore due to that big loss that just gets reduced accordingly). Is 1 correct or I need to go for option 2 ?

Q2: I am allowed in Flatex to pick one of the 2 options only for  Steuerjahr 2019. Does this mean I cannot use it when I am applying this year for 2018 and just need to wait untill next year ?  

tax.jpg

Hello -

I am trying to e-file my 2017 German return via Elster.  I was able to successfully the the Anlage EUR, Umsatzsteuerkalrun with no problem.  However, when I tried to e-file the EST1A the system states the transmission failed and to repeat the process.  I made sure I ran the diagnostic beforehand was the system said all my entries were checked and no errors detected.

Can anyone shed any light on why this happened?  I'm wondering if its because the filing is a bit late or there is some system incompatibility? Just wonderiing if anyone has had any issues lately with their -efile submission for the EST1A

Instructions indicate that I can print and mail the forms directo to the Finanzamt, but since the other forms were already accepted should I also include them in hard copy or will this confuse them ?

2 hours ago, Alvcpa said:

Can anyone shed any light on why this happened? 

Without a crystal ball? Not really. Don't you get an error message?

I'm wondering if its because the filing is a bit late or there is some system incompatibility? Just wonderiing if anyone has had any issues lately with their -efile submission for the EST1A

Like you said, you're late - eight months to be exact. There shouldn't be so many who lately encountered the problem. 

Instructions indicate that I can print and mail the forms directo to the Finanzamt, but since the other forms were already accepted should I also include them in hard copy or will this confuse them ?

Yes, but this does not release you from the basic obligation to file your tax return electronically as a self-employed person. Here you are dependent on the good will of the person in charge. 

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Without a crystal ball? Not really. Don't you get an error message?

All is said was the file was not transferred and to repeat the process.. which I have done repeatedly.

1 minute ago, Alvcpa said:

All is said was the file was not transferred and to repeat the process.. which I have done repeatedly.

Log out and try logging in again? (I am speculating here only into the blue...) 

1 minute ago, someonesdaughter said:

Log out and try logging in again? (I am speculating here only into the blue...) 

Yeah did that too.. Its strange that it accepted the other  2017 forms but not this one...

1 hour ago, PandaMunich said:

Are you using ElsterFormular?

If yes, try updating the software.

Are you using ElsterFormular?

If yes, try updating the software.

Im actually using Elster E-Portal.  As an alternative. I tried regenerating the form on ElsterFormular & updating the software but I keep getting an error message that said:

"

The main program and the tax calculation could not be updated.

If you are using Windows XP, the reason may be an incorrect setting in the permissions dialog:

If you are using Windows XP, depending on the installation rights of your user account, you will receive a security prompt to perform the download and installation with administrator authorization.
If your current user login does not have sufficient installation rights (for example, main user or guest), you will get a dialog to run the program with a different user account.
Please enter a user name with administrator rights and the associated password. The download and installation will then continue with the installation rights of this user.

If you are logged in as a user with installation rights (administrator), you will receive a dialog with an additional security prompt. In order to continue the download and installation, please uncheck the box "Protect computer and data from unauthorized program activity". This security option is an additional security prompt for administrators to confirm the installation process. The program activities of the installation manager will be authorized by you. If you do not uncheck the box, the installation manager will not be able to perform the actions you have selected.
Sorry, there were errors while installing the updates. Please try to eliminate them by re-running the installation management. If this does not work, please try reinstalling. You will find the setups for a new installation under the following links:

ElsterForm for private users
Elster Form for entrepreneurs / self-employed / employers
Elster form in the total extent"

I tried updating on both my Window XP and Windows 10 lpatops. - no luck. Admittedly, Im not a tech guru so I havent a clue as to what to do...

At this point I may need to recreate a new file on Elster E- Portal and see if the new filet will efile transfer over..

You have an icon for ElsterFormular on your desktop.

Don't open ElsterFormular by double-clicking on that icon with your left mouse button, but instead hover over that icon, press your right mouse button once and in the context menu that now appears, choose "Als Administrator ausführen" (if you have an English Windows: "Run as administrator") by clicking on that entry with your left mouse button:

142608321330775.png.4bef4e96ccf644e7b8f0

ElsterFormular opens.

Now please try the update again.

Hi @PandaMunich,

I duplicate the post written here

because that Topic seems to be not active anymore.

I have questions regarding my case and will appreciate your help very much. Me and my husband moved from Russia to Germany in May 2018, so January-March we have been working in Russia and May-December - in Germany (we both work).

As for me, both in Russia and in Germany I had only employee income and as I understood by reading this post I do not need to fill in the Anlage N-AUS. But the problem is that in the main form 2018 I can not find the lines where I need to fill in my foreign income. It seems to be that the whole section was excluded from the main form (line 99 of the Mantelbogen ESt1A). Could you please take a look and suggest what to do then?

As for my husband, in Russia he had both employee and self-employee income. He worked for a Russian company and also remotely for an American one(self-employee income) if it is important (January-March). Should we distinguish the income in this case or we can sum up both of them, specify the total sum received and attach all the payment slips and other documents which prove that we have paid all taxes in Russia?

Plus my husband had an income from trading the stocks (on Moscow Stock Exchange) for the whole year. Taxes were already paid by broker, because they are responsible to do this. Should we separate the income in this case: before we moved and since we are in Germany? What lines or forms should be filled in this case? This question will be also actual for 2019, because my husband is continuing to trade stocks.

Plus both of us have deposits in banks left in Russia. The interest rate is small, the income is small, the taxes are paid already by the banks themselves, but still we have this income for the whole year and the situation is the same as with stocks (I mean we will continue to have it in 2019).

Thank you beforehand!

Hallo PandaMunich,

Nice to see you are still rocking here :)

I have a questions related to a line in my annual salary statement:

It is line 28: Beinträge zur Privaten Kranken-und Pflege-Pflicht-Versicherung oder Mindestvorsorgepauschale

Could you please tell me where I should report this number in the taxe declaration?

Second question: I bought a plug-in hybrid car, is there any thing to report in the tax filing for this?

Thanks a lot 

Hello Everyone and hello Panda,

One of your old posts (link) had answered many of my questions regarding the doppelte Haushaltsführung claim. Thanks for it. Just as in that old post, my wife is a student living in a different city and I'm an employee.

Regarding the Familienfahrten, my wife visits me approx. twice a month. She doesn't have a car and travels either by train or mitfahrgelegenheit. I have read that, one can claim the costs based on the distance (Entfernungspauschale) and you need not provide any proof (Belege). Can she do that, inspite of not owning a a car?

As a maximum of one trip per week (max. 48 per year) is allowed. Can she claim for it, eventhough she had visited me fewer times?

Thanks and best regards

Hello,

I have couple of questions regarding my tax return

a. Last year December, my family moved to Germany and I also changed flat in Berlin and saved 30m commute time to work. Can I claim relocation cost for me moving and my family moving down to Germany?

b. If yes, I would appreciate any pointers on how to do that

c. I got married in April and I had to travel a couple of times to Nigeria, (twice in 2018, especially because my wife had an accident and went to spend sometime after her surgery). Can I claim double household especially my flight cost?

Thanks

Hello,

I have opened a "depot" for my son (minor) last year and there was a few € (less than 100) gains in dividends, directly paid into his account.  I haven't filled the document to let the bank know the "free tax allowance" therefore the bank has already taken the tax comissions on these.

While filling the Tax return, I can add a Anlage KAP for me or my wife but not for our son.

Do I need to fill a complete tax return for him, including the Anlage KAP just to declare the dividend gains? Can this be done under my Elster login the same?

Thank you

57 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

I have opened a "depot" for my son (minor) last year and there was a few € (less than 100) gains in dividends, directly paid into his account.  I haven't filled the document to let the bank know the "free tax allowance" therefore the bank has already taken the tax comissions on these.

While filling the Tax return, I can add a Anlage KAP for me or my wife but not for our son.

Do I need to fill a complete tax return for him, including the Anlage KAP just to declare the dividend gains? Can this be done under my Elster login the same?

At the risk of repeating myself:

@PandaMunich I am sorry for the spam. I had forgotten about this.

Gains were less than 50€ but as I haven't filles for the " Freistellungsauftrag" I understand that a complete tax return is mandatory.

Question, what is the difference ? Is it because I would receive the few cents in taxes back (the bank too automatically) by doing a return? can I assume the loss, or this will have to be declared (mandatory?)

sorry, but I can't see why with Freistellungsauftrag  is not mandatory to do tax return, and without it it is.

Thank you

8 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

but as I haven't filles for the " Freistellungsauftrag" I understand that a complete tax return is mandatory.

No, you can also just not do a tax return at all, but then your son won't get back the 25% tax that the bank deducted.

great. for the few cents that will be enough then! less hassle.

Thank you for clarification! (and remember a 2year old post !)

This time of year again. Now it is something new: "VORABPAUSCHALE".

- How do I handle that for my re-investing funds in a foreign depot? I didn't sell or get any dividends, but somehow I should enter my data somewhere so this new tax can be calculated??

- I also started with P2P investing last year. How is this then handled? Which field to I put the interest earned?

- Every year I discover new stuff and get a couple of euro extra back :). This year its Nebenkosten. Do I have to itemize all work performed or can I just group together elevator service and garden etc? Which field should it go?