How to Stop a Transaction with Deutsche Bank

3 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown!

I was working with my Deutsche Bank Online banking account for the first time today. I am in the US visiting family and had to make a couple payments. When I was putting through a transfer order, it asked for a TAN block number and I entered it off the block I was given when I opened my account. I then got a screen that said that TAN block was not active and I should use the "new" one. Since I don't have a new one, I reactivated my current TAN block and sent through the transaction again. I was redirected to the main page and saw that the transaction HAD gone through the first time, even though it hadn't shown up just after! I am a bit panicked at losing all that money, and called Deutsche Bank, a representative of whom said I would have to speak to the local branch on Monday (3 Jan). My German isn't perfect but from the conversation and questions I made after I am fairly sure that the transactions will be pending until Monday and can be stopped. However, I know that it is possible to do this sort of thing 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with Bank of America (my bank in the USA) and I am a bit nervous to let it lie until Monday.

I am writing this on the off chance that a fellow Toy-Towner might work for Deutsche Bank and can tell me I'm right, or someone has been in the same situation!

Thank you so much...

Alyssa

Sorry, I cannot help you, but wouldn't it be better to ask this over in the German Themes/Finance forum? I guess, over there is a bigger chance that someone who can help you is seeing this...

First the Worst Case Scenario: The bank received your transfer order during working hours today (until 4pm German time)- The bank is remarkably efficient and the transfer is completed first thing on Monday morning. Because such payment once made and credited cannot be reversed (based on the situation you describe and assuming that there was no negligence or error on the side of the bank), this means that you can only then try contacting the recipient and politely ask for the doubled payment to be returned (be prepared to bear any costs involved).

Conceivable is that the receiving bank (if like mine) will credit the recipients account late in the afternoon. This gives you time to contact your bank as soon as they open on Monday morning - local time.

Best Case Scenario: The transfer was made after banking hours here today. which means that it will not be credited until next Tuesday at the earliest. This gives you ample time to contact your bank - as soon as they open.

Finally, if not proficient in German, find somebody who is. On Monday you are going to have to act quickly and decisively - without any misunderstanding.

Good luck.

Edit: To avoid misunderstanding 'today' refers to Thursday 30th Dec.