Claiming tax deductions

142 posts in this topic

I have a couple of basic questions about tax deductibles for self employed people, as my circumstances have changed in the last year. I married in 2018, my wife is non-EU and we are tax class 3 (me) & 5( my wife). I have private health ins and we had to get the same for my wife.

My questions are

1) As sole earner in our household and therefore versicherungsnehmer of my wife´s private health ins, can I claim it as a deductible income tax expense as well as my own? Can I also claim the €480 that each separate ins must pay before receiving coverage from The Ins company for treatment/bills etc?

2) I rent a garage on the same property that came as part of our rental contract (garage at €80 per month) I use it to store my work equipment. Can I claim this therefore as a legitimate business storage cost or if not as my office?

Pretty basic stuff but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Can I claim a donation to a foreign charity as a deductible e.g.



The Intercept is published by First Look Media Works, which is a recognized 501(c)(3) charitable organization (tax ID number 80-0951255).

Please note:

  • Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by governing laws.
  • Donors within the United States of America should check with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publication 526 and publication 1771 and/or their tax adviser for further details.
  • Donors outside of the United States of America should review local laws and regulations for details.


thank you!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now