Claiming tax deductions

142 posts in this topic

On 14.3.2015, 21:34:37, PandaMunich said:

@Flavia

Since I'm again over the % posting limit, I'll have to answer here.

Just claim for as much as possible, the Finanzamt can cut it if they want, but if you get lucky they will just wave it through.

An extremely belated response, but thanks, and they did (accept a deduction for an Internet connection over the ostensible limit).

Hi guys,

I also have three questions to the tax deduction topic. It may be that somebody already asked the questions, but as I could not find an answer to them I just post them.

1. I have followed German classes in 2015 for a couple of months and I would like to add it to my tax declaration the cost for the transportation to and back from the classes, as it is a long way (between 30-40 km). An important thing to mention is that on the same days with the courses I was as well working, and I have added already the transportation costs to my work (around 11 km). How could I proceed with this? Should I add separately the two destinations or should I keep the longer destination?

2. Is there any place in the tax declaration where I could add the cost for an attorney for the calendar year 2015?

3. Is there by any chance the option to add additional medical expenses that are not covered by the health insurance, such as physiotherapy, massages due to back problems, pain killers, etc.

Regards,

Atty

1. Neither the German course nor the trips to it are tax deductible. But you can try to put them into Anlage N under "Fortbildungskosten" in line 44, but be prepared for the Finanzamt to cut them.
  2. Nowhere.
  3. Only medical costs above 5% (married, no kids, gross family income between 15,340€ and 51,130€) of your yearly gross income will have an effect (anything up to that is an expense that you can afford to bear yourself = zumutbare Belastung) and only if they were prescribed by a doctor. Declare them in the Mantelbogen in the section "Außergewöhnliche Belastungen", line 67.

Hey Panda,

Thank you very much for the fast reply and tip.

I was also wondering how are these tax deduction approximately calculated for a monthly gross salary of 3000€ when I have also the Anlage Unterhalt included (with Jahres-Freibetrag of 8.130€) ? 

I have calculated using http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm

the total tax per year of being 267,87 * 12 = 3214.44 € and total net salary of 2111,88*12 = 25342.56 €

Now I am wondering if this will be around the tax sum that they will apply to my income or are there any other things that they include.

I am mainly interested in order to have an idea if I should fight for a tax return or I should just expect to have to pay back some money.

Regards,

Atty

Sorry, but your wage tax is off.

The Parmentier wage tax calculator shows on a monthly gross of 3,000€ in 2015:

• if you're single (tax class I):  monthly Wage Tax 450,50
  • if you're married (tax class III): monthly Wage Tax 213,83 --> 2,566€ per year (+  124.40€ in solidarity tax)

Let's assume you're married.
I'll also assume that you're supporting two needy parents over 65 in Hungary since Hungary is in the 75% country group, i.e. per supported person only 75% of the Grundfreibetrag of 8,472€ (in 2015) lessen your taxable income, even if you gave them more money.
So let's assume that you gave to each parent the maximum allowed, 0.75 * 8,472€ = 6,354€ per supported parent --> 12,708€ for both parents.

Perform the following steps:

1. calculate your old taxable income with the Parmentier wage tax calculator (year 2015, tax class III): 29,514.00
  2. deduct 12,708€ from that --> new taxable income (29,514 - 12,708): 16,806€
  3. enter into the Parmentier income tax calculator 16806 --> new income tax (income and wage tax are just two names for the same thing), consult the right-hand column "for couples" (since we assumed that you're married): 0€ (+ 0€ solidarity tax)
  4. Since you already pre-paid through your job 2,690.40 in income and solidarity tax, and you end up owing only 0€, the Finanzamt will reimburse you the difference of (2,690.40 - 0): 2,690.40€

Hey Panda, 

Thanks again for the clarifications, now it makes more sense what I see also on paper and I am able to determine more or less by myself if I need to get money back or I have to pay them. :) 

One other question to the previous set of questions, namely the transportation cost to the German course, I forgot to mention that it is for my employer, and require by my job. Also I wanted to ask if it would not be possible to add for those days when I was travelling to the German courses in the morning before work, the distance to the course instead of the distance to the workplace?

Regards,

Atty 

Sorry, but the Finanzamt won't care.

The only time a German course is tax deductible is when the government sent you on the course, which is the case for non-EU spouses. And even then it isn't deductible as Werbungskosten but just as an außergewöhnliche Belastung, i.e. it would only have an effect tax-wise if you had spent more than 5% of your yearly gross on außergewöhnliche Belastungen.

But try to claim for it anyway, you may get lucky.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a few questions on allowable expenses...

The 1000 euro allowance that has been mentioned in a few posts.  Is it that you have already been given an automatic 1000 euro benefit, so if expenses are below this amount you dont need to add them to the form?  Or do you still add the amount in the relevant box?

Also, I have some questions on specific items.  I bought a suit specifically because we had a series of client meetings.  Now Im out of work, this is being used for interviews.  Can I claim for this?

Also, can I claim for a laptop for doing my job applications.  Also, I have attended some trade fairs.  Can I claim travel costs and accommodation for attending these, as well as interviews.  If I drove to an interview, do i need to specify an amount per km traveled if i drove?

Finally, if I have for example, flight costs for going to an interview in the uk, and if this is allowable, how should I do the calculation to euros, for putting in the form.   Is it sufficient for me to research the historical rate, or is there a specific place I should look up the conversion.

Sorry if any of these are duplicated, or stupid questions, and thanks for any replies.

Is it that you have already been given an automatic 1000 euro benefit, so if expenses are below this amount you don't need to add them to the form? 

Yes.

No to the suit (clothes that you can wear in normal life are never deductible), yes to everything else.

Although the job interview in the UK is a bit effy, since the German tax department wouldn't reap the benefit if you get that job, but put it in nevertheless.

Yes, if you drove you claim 0.30€ per km, and have to mention the number of km.

Either use the real exchange rate from your bank account, i.e. use the € amount you ended up paying or use these official exchange rates: http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Downloads/BMF_Schreiben/Steuerarten/Umsatzsteuer/Umsatzsteuer-Umrechnungskurse/2016-08-01-umsatzsteuer-umrechnungskurse-2016.html

19 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Yes.

No to the suit (clothes that you can wear in normal life are never deductible), yes to everything else.

Although the job interview in the UK is a bit effy, since the German tax department wouldn't reap the benefit if you get that job, but put it in nevertheless.

Yes, if you drove you claim 0.30€ per km, and have to mention the number of km.

Either use the real exchange rate from your bank account, i.e. use the € amount you ended up paying or use these official exchange rates: http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Downloads/BMF_Schreiben/Steuerarten/Umsatzsteuer/Umsatzsteuer-Umrechnungskurse/2016-08-01-umsatzsteuer-umrechnungskurse-2016.html

Many thanks for the very helpful reply.  Its true that the german tax department wont gain from my interviews, but the arbeitsamt will.  I suppose they act as totally separate fiefdoms!!  Actually, your reply should make my return very simple.  I dont think I will get above the 1000 euro limit for my expenses, so happy days!!

I have however just thought of one other question.  When my employer closed, I got a redundancy payment.  Does this simply count as income, or does it need o be specified in another way.  Im hoping that I can cover this in the short declaration form.  Many thanks again.

Attempting to do my taxes via SteuerGo this year after getting hit with a 400 bill from the Steuerberater and still having to pay a tax bill last year.

I was wondering about being able to claim storage unit expenses back in my home country. It doesn't quite make sense in the double household area, but is there a place to input it? It'll be about 450-500  and every penny counts.

Deduction question: is there any such thing as a carryforward if I make a qualified charitable donation in a year I can't deduct it? (E.g., making a donation in March but then living/working overseas for the rest of the year)

On 14/02/2012, 11:43:46, PandaMunich said:

You can also claim 24€ per day Verpflegungsmehraufwendungen for the first 3 months after you moved here.

Hi @PandaMunich I found this post you made in 2012. Is it still true that you can claim 24€ per day Verpflegungsmehraufwendungen for the first 3 months after moving to Germany - and if so, what is the basis for this?

Thank you.

Yes, still true, but as I mentioned before: only for doppelte Haushaltsführung, i.e. one spouses moves on ahead for the job, and during the time he/she lives alone he/she can claim 24€ a day (for up to 90 days) for additional meal expenses.

Legal sources:

R9.11 LStR: http://www.steuerlinks.de/richtlinie/lstr-2015/r9.11.html

and §9 Absatz 4a Satz 12 und 13 EStG: http://www.steuerlinks.de/gesetz/estg/par9.html#abs-4a

Hello guys,

I have question in regards to tax deduction. I am working in IT sector and just completed my training (IT industry certification). The training is paid by my employer but unfortunately, it does not include the exam fee and the exam fee might cost around US$700. As result, if I pay the exam myself, can I claim this fee on my income taxes? if yes, how many percent?

Thanks in advance,

Softestplease

1 hour ago, softestplease said:

Hello guys,

I have question in regards to tax deduction. I am working in IT sector and just completed my training (IT industry certification). The training is paid by my employer but unfortunately, it does not include the exam fee and the exam fee might cost around US$700. As result, if I pay the exam myself, can I claim this fee on my income taxes? if yes, how many percent?

Thanks in advance,

Softestplease

You might want to explain where you are living and working, and paying taxes.

No mention on profile where you are located.

36 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

You might want to explain where you are living and working, and paying taxes.

No mention on profile where you are located.

Hi RedMidge,

I am living and working in Munich and yes also regularly paying taxes to the government :)

Cheers,

Softestplease