Third runway for Munich Airport

231 posts in this topic

Have to agree, don't want Munich's skyline looking like that eyesore in Frankfurt :ph34r:

Wouldn't it be cool to have a Burj Khalifa-style tower in Munich?

First, Not really - it's a bloody monstrosity

and second, Yes and I wouldn't thank you if I had to live in one of those festering shite-pot mega-cities

triumph bob beats Editor Bob.

Well... a triumph!

But... what would they do 07:00-09:30 and 17:00-18:30 when it's officially converted into a car park? :unsure:

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Does anyone know the status of the third runway project in Munich airport? In June 2012, the referendum resulted in about 54% against it and 46% in favour and I I thought the project was shelved. Then what are all the major building construction works at Munich airport about? Are they expending terminal 2 with a new building in the middle of the current plane parking area, so there can be more gates?

Yes, they need more gates. There weren't enough the day T2 opened, which is the reason for all those tedious bus journeys.

Yes I just read the entire thread on which my topic was re-posted. Thanks.

I have re-read previous posts in this thread and agree with the statement that the 3rd runway is not going to 'increase the population' in Munich. I fly in and out of the airport twice a week and have noticed that although the flights seem pretty full, there are not too many people waiting for luggage, meaning they are transit passengers. Lufthansa seem to have developed the airport more and more into a hub for connecting long haul flights - just try getting through the BGS gates upstairs at T2 to non-schengen destinations quickly :angry: - all the booths have long queues of transit pax going onto their long haul connecting flights. But, I would conclude it will mean more jobs at the airport and for ancillary businesses, which can only be good.

Discuss!!

Well it will mean more jobs at the airport and it has been discussed. The point is, especially given the low unemployment rate in the region, do we need to bring in yet more baggage handlers from eastern Europe, all of whom do in fact need somewhere to live?

Anyway, the discussion is over because the runway isn't being built and Lufthansa will manage just fine with the four at Frankfurt. They never said anything about turning Munich into a hub when the airport was being designed.