Bikers on the forum

182 posts in this topic

Is Glasgow to Munich too adventurous a first trip?

Along with 50 other riders, I did a sponsored charity ride for Make a Wish foundation a few years back. Edinburgh - Belfast -Dublin - Cardiff - London-

in 24hrs ;) . One of the riders had only had his licence about 3 days. You need to build up slowly ideally but if you think you're up for it... go for it.

a selection of white, black and fruit puddings

Erghhhhhhhhh

:o GOG - you must go thrash yourself with a stick for that last wee comment :D

What's the craic with riding abroad? Insurance etc? I'm hoping to get a ferry next week to France then go to Paris. Do you really need a GB plate or can I get away with the SCO one that's on it?

(Is my latest random plan.)

Go for it schotte!what i always do on long trips is take a break before the bum starts hurting because once it starts hurting it is not going to stop and makes the rest of the journey painful and not very enjoyable,but allpeople are different i know some people who ride till the tank is empty (300 to 400 km)but i am fortunate enough to be a smoker ;) so that i have to have regular stops!

Schotte - ring your insurance co and ask for a green card (if you don't have one already). If you are worried about the SCO plate - buy a GB sticker and whack it on top of the SCO (use a hairdryer to get it off when you get back) MrBetty says he wouldn't bother, but I would - I just prefer to prevent anything and everything.

If you make it to Paris - you'll definately get over any worry of the autobahn.

hope you do it - what a fab wee adventure :)

Good luck Schotte. Regarding "sore arse syndrome" these are a good idea for a long journey. Regular stops are the key factor, even when you think you don't need one.

5 minutes later.... GRRRRRRRRR, the link doesn't work, try this..

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorcycle_Gel_Seat_Pad_Large

What's the craic with riding abroad?

The fact that they ride / drive on the wrong side of the road is a fairly major factor, !!!

I'll get my coat. :D

GOG - you must go thrash yourself with a stick for that last wee comment

Some people say the nicest things :huh:

Schotte - ring your insurance co and ask for a green card (if you don't have one already). If you are worried about the SCO plate - buy a GB sticker and whack it on top of the SCO (use a hairdryer to get it off when you get back) MrBetty says he wouldn't bother, but I would - I just prefer to prevent anything and everything.

If you make it to Paris - you'll definately get over any worry of the autobahn.

hope you do it - what a fab wee adventure

I see bikesure.co.uk are including European cover in their policies. Seem to have too good a quote offered so I'm going to check over the phone tomorrow. Never heard of a green card before..?

But just googled in fact, don't need one for Germany or France..woop woop!

Good info here by the FCO on driving abroad actually

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/staying-safe/driving-abroad

GOG - I've already been called a "girl" for getting a bike with fairings, not sure I could deal with further abuse getting one of those things! :D

Schotte - just found this while I was looking at track days for MrBetty's birthday. Its at Knockhill, 129.00GBP. sounded great, and they have advancement courses too. I've cut and pasted the byline below.

Newcomer Bike Track Day School

Mon 22nd August - 1.00pm

Team up with like-minded riders for that all important first time on track! Classroom tuition and 'on track' instruction will help build your confidence all on the comfort of your own bike.

Hi All, time for me to add my 2 cent's worth.

Thanks GOG for reviving some TT bike interest. I get out and about every now and then on my SV1000 and always looking to join a rideout. I'd happily get involved in any tour, be it a day's meet-up or a long weekend thing.

@Schotte - congratulations for getting into biking - you will love your 1st tour, advice from me is (1) make sure you have good weather gear because it WILL piss down with rain on you at some point, (2) don't plan on riding too far in one day, 400km motorway or 250km A/B roads is what most people would condsider a sensible limit (unless you have a luxo-barge). Good luck!

Yesterday was spent riding around the Sauerland :rolleyes: . Went to the so called Dach von Westfalen, the top of the Kahler Asten 841m above sea level. 100's of bikes about and perfect weather... until the ride back. I wore my summer bike gear which is about as waterproof as a paperbag. On the way back (autobahn) it pissed it down the entire way and I was soaked, I still had a massive smile on my face though. 490km round trip, for any biker who has not had a taster of the sauerland, here's a random video I borrowed from Youtube.

Schotte - just found this while I was looking at track days for MrBetty's birthday. Its at Knockhill, 129.00GBP. sounded great, and they have advancement courses too. I've cut and pasted the byline below.

Newcomer Bike Track Day School

Mon 22nd August - 1.00pm

Team up with like-minded riders for that all important first time on track! Classroom tuition and 'on track' instruction will help build your confidence all on the comfort of your own bike.

This looks great fun :)

Absolutely crapped myself on the motorway today, started chucking down and could see bugger all. Not enjoyable, came off the motorway and took some back roads back. Normal thing to do? Dunno if I just need to man up or get more confidence but I remember being completely terrified for a few miles!!

I think a bus even overtook me. :(

Yes you are right it's shite on Mways etc in bad rain especially with a lot of wind. On the good front, first off you are man enough to admit that it can be shite then you can go on to get a bit used to it(especially where you live). The bike will move around with the wind, a bit less yours and you will just get used to it(sort off, just allow for the gusts to take you(dont ride too close to stuff). Anyway one really good thing, bikes don't aquaplane nearly as easily as cars and once you get used to sort of trying to guess what you can see through your visor it all becomes easy!

The other great thing is you got home so its another big tick and can only get better

if it works may make you feel better or worse?

This looks great fun Absolutely crapped myself on the motorway today, started chucking down and could see bugger all. Not enjoyable, came off the motorway and took some back roads back. Normal thing to do? Dunno if I just need to man up or get more confidence but I remember being completely terrified for a few miles!!I think a bus even overtook me.

oh no... :(

don't worry. all the more reason to sign up for that course.

Knockhill INVENTED rain. I've been there quite a few times - It pished it doon - every time!

they have a saying there - if you can see the hills - its about to rain

if you can't see the hills - it is raining.

it would be the best 129quid you'll spend.

Just returned from Bavaria City at the Ijsselmeer in the Netherlands,

750km all together on the K11 with no problems, just terrible weather all week.

Just returned from Bavaria City at the Ijsselmeer in the Netherlands,750km all together on the K11 with no problems, just terrible weather all week.

okay - I googled Bavaria city and I'm none the wiser. Can I have a geography lesson please?

or was it the formula1 thingy?

:lol: that is just too funny...! I've been googling like mad. thanks for making me laugh