Bikers on the forum

182 posts in this topic

As far as pitching a tent goes, if you don't get caught by a forest ranger, or if you are lucky enough that a do-gooder does not report you to the police or a ranger, then your good to go. In other words, it is not at all acceptable.

Here's my new (used) baby before I've stripped all the extra gee gaws and crap from it that the previous owner installed. Just traded for it a couple weeks ago.

post-24275-12936604312091.jpg

I still have the BMW R/100/7 I bought new in 1978. It has 165,000+ miles on it.

Keeping it company is a '01 Ducati ST4.

First one was a '80Honda CX Shaft 500 which I think is in Baharian still and now a 1200H/D XL Night which has just been registered here

CBR600F. My first bike and I love it. About to head back to the UK to fetch it, not exactly looking forward to the hassle of registering it here but am hoping that the pain will be worth the gain ;-)

I've got a 2008 BMW F800 GS as well. I've been to most of Europe on it at this point. Just need to get to France and Portugal and I've hit all the major countries.

Hi everyone,

My main hobby is riding my motorbike, a 1992 Honda ST 1100 Pan European for those who need to know. I have scoured the threads (YES, using the search facility!) for all things motorbike and most of the stuff is fairly old and well spread out, so I decided to line myself up for a TT firing and start a new thread, in the hope this makes it easier to find everything.

Do we have a TT motorbike club / meet up / Annual ride out etc.?

On this thread it would be nice to see some....

Questions needing an answer (TT speciality) rider tips, ride reports, recommended dealers, routes, places to visit, things to avoid. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Here’s my tip for the day, I read this in a magazine years ago and have used it successfully many times. When a car is riding right up your arse and inches from your tail light, do a controlled “I’m just about to fall off and drop the bike” wiggle, you’ll be amazed how fast the afore mentioned idiot drops back. It would appear idiots don’t have a problem driving over you, but driving over your dropped bike, which could damage their vehicle, upsets them!

Question needing an answer…. On the motorways, during a traffic jam / stau, if safe to do so, I always filter through traffic. Some do and some don’t ,does anyone know the legal stand on this, or is it something that is just accepted.

Recommended ride out… Bikers Farm Buldern, great place to meet and drink a cuppa with 100’s of other bikers.

Look forward to hearing some replies.

GOG

I ride a Triumph st 1050,filtering through is forbidden some police turn a blind eye some do not!But normaly if you(like i do)do not go bombing through it semms to be accepted,if some one pulls to the side to let me through then i always wave as a thankyou,as to a tt bike club the idea is great but difficult to organise as we are spread out all over Germany but why not give it a go? :) ps whats the point of having a bike if you are going to sit in a stau?might aswell buy a mobile home.

Using my hazards while filtering through never had a problem with the Polizei yet.

Actually riding a K1100RS BMW. There are some more TT bikers in the Köln/Bonn area.

Thanks for the replies.

whats the point of having a bike if you are going to sit in a stau? might aswell buy a mobile home.

I have a flip front lid and sometimes willingly use this moment for a fag break. There are some many traffic jams on the autobahns I'm consdering putting an ashtray on the bike!

I passed my bike test about a month ago, after years of talking and I'm sure I even posted on here about European tours - glad to have finally got it! Would love to blast through Germany on a bike sometime. Have my eye on a Fazer 600 at the moment.

I'd ride with yous when I get sorted! :)

On the motorways, during a traffic jam / stau, if safe to do so, I always filter through traffic. Some do and some don’t ,does anyone know the legal stand on this, or is it something that is just accepted.

As I understand it, legally it's a no-no and if you are involved in an accident, you'll get hammered, however it is done and accepted by other road users.

An interesting article on the subject: http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/motorrad-roller/recht-motorrad/motorrad-stau/default.aspx?ComponentId=76682&SourcePageId=70539

alansumm

Using my hazards while filtering through never had a problem with the Polizei yet.

Actually riding a K1100RS BMW. There are some more TT bikers in the Köln/Bonn area.

Bonn is only a couple of hours away, halfway is Wuppertal some excellent roads around that neck of the woods.

I passed my bike test about a month ago, after years of talking and I'm sure I even posted on here about European tours - glad to have finally got it! Would love to blast through Germany on a bike sometime. Have my eye on a Fazer 600 at the moment.

I'd ride with yous when I get sorted!

I only passed my bike test about 4 years ago. Took two attempts though everything was going great until I rode on the wrong side of the road, I had a UK relapse, which is bizaare, I have been driving cars in Germany for over 27 years on & off.

keep in touch, one day there will be a Toytown rideout!!!

As I understand it, legally it's a no-no and if you are involved in an accident, you'll get hammered, however it is done and accepted by other road users.

An interesting article on the subject: http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/motorrad-roller/recht-motorrad/motorrad-stau/default.aspx?ComponentId=76682&SourcePageId=70539

alansumm

Thanks for that Alan, interesting read. Typical you can legally do it in some countries but not here. I thought that was the case.

Bonn is only a couple of hours away, halfway is Wuppertal some excellent roads around that neck of the woods.

There is miles and miles of roads here in the middle of nature, especialy in Rheinland-Pfalz. I ride them daily :)

I ride a Derbi GPR 50 because I have no German bike license, can I still join?

@bobbylines - Ah Triumph brings back memories - my dad taught me to ride a motorcycle (will not tell you at what age...anyone could be reading :ph34r: ) and it was on grandpas Triumph Grand Prix (I think it was a 500cc engine).

In the first few glorious months here I had, on lease, a beautiful off road BMW R1200 GS. Took it to Garmisch for the BMW Motorrad Tage...ah that was fabulous.

Two or three years ago I remember the boyfriend trying to get people enthusiastic about biking - can't find the thread though.

Which one of you went to the Motorrad Tage this year and who went to the Harley weekend in Munich?

We should ride through the Dolomites - the supersmooth winding road and the view are both equally brilliant.