Cell-phone contract problems

178 posts in this topic

The mind boggles at someone signing a 2 year contract without even having a job. I am an optimistic person, but this goes above and beyond logical and smart behaviour

The rest of us just buy a phone for 20-50 €and top up the minutes when needed. No contract needed, and when no money is there, we don't make phone calls. Easy, peasy.

what if I do choose to leave Germany and move back to the States, maybe not in a week or two, but a few months down the road? I still do not have an employment contract here and were it not for my family, how could I possibly keep paying for a service I will not use? There are people in similar circumstances who HAVE to leave and cannot get out of a contract, even though they did not lie. Do you see my point?

Simple question: Why did you sign a contract as opposed to getting a pay as you go phone?

First of all, to all the people being so judgmental of Miss Lidi (the initial poster): What gives you all the right to consider this "bad" or "morally repulsive"? Let me tell you all something. Any normal nation that allows people, who are not citizens of the country - nor who have employment, a 2 year contract will be bound to lose money on allowing foreigners to sign up for a contract in the first place. You all judge Lidi so much, but have not considered that maybe VODAFONE is responsible for causing this problem. When she signed up for this contract, how come VODAFONE didn't ask themselves, "hey, if she leaves the country, how would she be able to use our services without being charged international fees?" The answer is, these rich conservative "suits", and notice that I don't call them people for obvious reasons, are only out to make money.

Lidi is not responsible for the laws, nor will they change for this individual case. But, what it might do is make Germans THINK about what it is they are doing when they allow people to have contracts for an unbelievable amount of time. I blame VODAFONE, not for her bill, but for the fact that she CANNOT cancel the contract earlier. In the UNITED STATES you can close a contract earlier, by paying an early termination fee. In Germany, they are so money hungry on these schemes and scams that they do not wish to offer such an obviously needed option, especially for foreigners.

You blame Lidi, but I blame you all for being dunces and for being so ignorant as to not see the true culprit. The culprit is the phone company, who knowingly offered Lidi a contract (knowing there are no early cancellation options) for 2 years, despite knowing that an American within Germany can only stay 3 months at a time. There really would not be a discussion IF VODAFONE simply ALLOWED EARLY CANCELLATION OPTIONS. Why they don't offer it is beyond me, but I sense that it has to do with their greed and disregard for customer needs. And to all of you who think Lidi is wrong, you are the reason companies get to walk over international and domestic customers because you are all cowards to challenge the way they conduct business. At least Lidi, through her unfortunate circumstance, is revealing the dark side of phone companies within Germany, their greedy side which does not care for customer satisfaction.

Remember, the PHONE COMPANY IS IN THE WRONG, and so are these so called "conservatives" who would have voted for McCain to preserve a blind following.

Somebody has never heard of personal responsibilty. Quite similar to not knowing the coffee in the to-go cup is hot, before driving away with it between your legs.

This annoys me to no end. Stop making institutions and other people responsible for your own choices and behaviours.

Did Miss Lidi ask Vodafone for a contract which could be cancelled in a short peroid or did she consider not to bind her in any way to a time-contract since her stay here in a foreign country might end before the 2 -years- term? No.

Does she want to leave a t all ? No.

Miss Lidi just wants to get rid of something she has done in the past without due forethought. Now she blames it on others. A common thing.

And saying now that german laws a.s o....,? Think first, than act, that's something that could be expected from anyone anywhere.

Somebody has never heard of personal responsibilty.

Personal responsibility is paying off the bill and early cancellation fees. Paying for a service one will not use is theft!

On a different note, any of you ever used the Sonderrufnummern here in Germany? Do you agree with those prices per minute? Why is it so difficult to implement a system of toll-free numbers?, considering the 19% taxes people pay...and on 400 Euros, 19% is not such a modest amount.

Any normal nation that allows people, who are not citizens of the country - nor who have employment, a 2 year contract will be bound to lose money on allowing foreigners to sign up for a contract in the first place.

Maybe they are assuming that most of those foreigners are responsible people who sign the contract knowing that they have the money to honour it. I would rather that companies allow me to sign up for things that I know I can handle than tell me that I am a foreigner and therefore am not allowed. The more foreigners that skip out on their contract responsibilities, the harder it will be for other foreigners to be able to sign up for any kind of services.

In addition, when you walk into any Vodafone shop, please tell me how many non-foreigners work there? I have not met anyone working there whose first language is German. And do you really think it's in their best interest to tell you the whole truth? For all your curious minds out there, I DID ask about terminating the contract early, and their response? You guessed it, "Under special circumstances..." For me, a special circumstance is leaving not only the country, but a whole CONTINENT.

Lidi is not responsible for the laws, nor will they change for this individual case. But, what it might do is make Germans THINK about what it is they are doing when they allow people to have contracts for an unbelievable amount of time. I blame VODAFONE, not for her bill, but for the fact that she CANNOT cancel the contract earlier. In the UNITED STATES you can close a contract earlier, by paying an early termination fee. In Germany, they are so money hungry on these schemes and scams that they do not wish to offer such an obviously needed option, especially for foreigners.

You blame Lidi, but I blame you all for being dunces and for being so ignorant as to not see the true culprit. The culprit is the phone company, who knowingly offered Lidi a contract (knowing there are no early cancellation options) for 2 years, despite knowing that an American within Germany can only stay 3 months at a time. There really would not be a discussion IF VODAFONE simply ALLOWED EARLY CANCELLATION OPTIONS. Why they don't offer it is beyond me, but I sense that it has to do with their greed and disregard for customer needs. And to all of you who think Lidi is wrong, you are the reason companies get to walk over international and domestic customers because you are all cowards to challenge the way they conduct business. At least Lidi, through her unfortunate circumstance, is revealing the dark side of phone companies within Germany, their greedy side which does not care for customer satisfaction.

Remember, the PHONE COMPANY IS IN THE WRONG, and so are these so called "conservatives" who would have voted for McCain to preserve a blind following.

USA, thank you for the belly laugh. It's nice to know that it's the company's fault that your friend entered into the wrong kind of contract. Maybe when you're holding her hand and patting her on the back you can remind her that she's not in Kansas any more.

post-4788-12927590511938.jpg

EDIT: Miss Lidi, that's just it, you are not leaving. Or are you lying to us about that now?

And do you really think it's in their best interest to tell you the whole truth? For all your curious minds out there, I DID ask about terminating the contract early, and their response? You guessed it, "Under special circumstances..." For me, a special circumstance is leaving not only the country, but a whole CONTINENT.

People who work in telephone shops are like used car salesman. You are not really supposed to believe them when they say that the car was owned by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. The important thing is the actual contract, the document that you sign. If it doesn't say there that you have cancellation rights, get them to add it before you sign. If they don't want to add it, don't sign. Besides, you are not really leaving the country, are you now?

Sarabyrd, that's just it, leaving or not, a person cannot make amendments to their contract. That's the answer I was seeking, lying or not, to know that as long as I'm not dead, Vodafone cannot cancel a contract. And mind you, if you lose a job down the road, that's not sufficient to cancel a contract either, because according to the logic of others, you should have known that in advance. Huh? I may be leaving, but I don't know that now.

That's the risk you take when you make a 2 year contract. If you don't have a secure job, you can go pre-paid. A lot of us do.

I still fail to understand why you think that leaving the continent (or even the country) would be reasonable grounds for terminating the contract. It's a mobile phone contract for Heaven's sake...it'll work wherever you take it - that's probably the reason you bought it and certainly the reason you got into this pickle in the first place !

People who work in telephone shops are like used car salesman. You are not really supposed to believe them when they say that the car was owned by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays.

Thank you! Finally! The Vodafone sales people are a representation of the company. It is in THEIR best interest to have people sign a contract, well guess what, it is in MY best interest to get out of a contract.

Correction, it's their job to get you to sign the contract, it's your job to make sure you don't sign something you don't like the terms of.

Nope - its in your best interests to understand the contract you signed. As has been repeatedly pointed out there are alternatives (pre-paid, no mobile at all...).

Edit: As LeonG said...

Obviously we are all to conservative. The conservative way of thinking would be to feel personal responsibility for whatever you decide and try to do the right thing.

The modern way of thinking seems to be: Do whatever you want, don't think about the consequences and if you can't pay what you've signed or if you think the consequences are inconvenient, blame the others for not keeping you from doing what you should have concidered in the first place.

Coffee can be hot and a two year contract can be for two years!

It's a mobile phone contract for Heaven's sake...

Yes, it is ONLY a mobile contract, my god, I cannot imagine if it were something a bit more important. Wow, I guess I'm lucky after all!