Cell-phone contract problems

178 posts in this topic

How about you pay the 400 past due and then try to find someone to take over? As both I and Leon suggested?

I sure would not touch it at this point, no one would. You cannot get someone to take it over as they then accept that past due amount.

First you need to pay that off. Then advertise for someone to take over the contract.

Serenajean1, do you know how to read properly? Maybe if you go back to previous posts of mine, you will stumble upon a post that explicitly states that I WILL pay the 400 Euros I owe in roaming charges.

Yes well no one is going to take your word and take a contract with liability to your bill.

So try and think rationally and make that offer AFTER you pay your damn bill, promises are not worth a damn and no stranger will take your word that you WILL pay.

And sure not after you posted about lying to try and get out of bills. May I suggest you start over with a new user name having PAID the bill if you expect any of us to touch it.

Miss Lidi, Toytown is very conservative when it comes to contracts and other's behavior in general.

Methinks people here are just presenting the facts.

Maybe one of you helpful people would help a fellow US citizen and take over the contract?

Thank you for fulfilling so many of the negative stereotypes people hold regarding Americans. ugh!

I will go to the Vodafone shop tomorrow and settle this with them. Of course I will pay my fees first, that is not the point, the point is cancelling the contract in my name so I can move on with my life. Is that a crime?

Not if you do it legally instead of attempting to commit fraud.

Word.

Thank you for fulfilling so many of the negative stereotypes people hold regarding Americans. ugh!

No matter what the 'negative stereotypes' of the American people are, I am sure that most of you would agree that the convenience of an Early Cancellation Fee would solve everything. This way the big companies get their money that they so need, and the customer can move on to more important things in life.

And most of us would agree how absurd it is to try and lie to get out of contracts especially in a country with a physical address registration system. The judgments made against you were based on your actions and yours alone.

Sure it would be nice, but we do not live in Kansas anymore, and when you choose to be a immigrant in another country you agree to play by the rules of the country in which you reside. Just like in the US we would lash out if people said but in my country xyz...

We are not in the US and while the idea is nice it is not reality so we live with the way things work because we choose to live here.

Not if you do it legally instead of attempting to commit fraud.

Committing fraud would be not paying the bill.

Also, why does Vodafone allow US citizens who have no Aufenthaltserlaubnis and Arbeitserlaubnis to sign a 2-year contract? All I had to present was my US Passport. Wow, thank you for that convenience, Vodafone. Can a German citizen in the US call Verizon or At&T and get a 2-year contract without a job in America or Green Card or Visa? Even if he/she could, there's the Early Cancellation.

You lied to a company and tried to say you were leaving the country.

You think that is ok behavior?

You also fail to realize you live in a country where you have to register where you live. Your lie is blatantly obvious. And even people who have proof of leaving are not always approved via that clause it is up to the providers discretion. Your actions fuck it up for people who actually are entitled to ask for such.

Lying your way out of bills is obnoxious and irresponsible. Own your actions.

P.S. not paying a bill would be debting not fraud. Lying with malicious intent to get out of a bill or contract is entirely different.

Though I suggest you not take that route either unless you want to discover the joys of inkasso companies.

And now you blame the company for enabling you are you for real girl. Grow up and do not sign contracts until you have the mindset of an adult you are acting like a child.#

People are not judging your for financial struggles we all have them and many of us have debts or even defaults, but we do not blatantly lie and try to rationalize it as an ok behavior, that is why you have gotten the response you have versus sympathy and advice. And you refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Miss Lidi,

you can't have your cake and eat it , too.

Prepaid-contracts offer freedom, just spent some money on a phone of your own and do as you like. Taking and using a nice phone from a phone company for free isn't just possible,you pay that phone by a long term contract.

And while one may consider a cell phone as a thing of dayly need, for the phone company it's a business. It's only for the money, not a public service. The same applies for car leasing,insurances and so on, as you well know.

Also, why does Vodafone allow US citizens who have no Aufenthaltserlaubnis and Arbeitserlaubnis to sign a 2-year contract? All I had to present was my US Passport.

What has it got to do with your residence status?

You have signed and agreed to a running phone contract which allows you to use mobile phone services worldwide. They needed your passport to prove you are who you say you are, no more. They actually take a big risk themselves but must have thought the risk was worth while. From your side you agreed to pay a monthly fee for at last 24 months, as well as usage charges that are clear in their literature. It now seems that you don't like those charges (even though you agree to pay for them) and want to renege on your side of the continuing deal. In connecting your service and providing you with a phone they have already incurred more costs (and risk) than you have paid so far in fees, so why should they back out without a fight?

I agree, lying to a company may not be the best solution, however, what if I do choose to leave Germany and move back to the States, maybe not in a week or two, but a few months down the road? I still do not have an employment contract here and were it not for my family, how could I possibly keep paying for a service I will not use? There are people in similar circumstances who HAVE to leave and cannot get out of a contract, even though they did not lie. Do you see my point?

Yes, I am here in Germany where the laws are different, but I think customers who pay for a service should be able to complain and try and change the way things are. If a contract does not offer the convenience and freedom, why should the people just blindly accept it? Yes, I signed a contract with Vodafone, but are you telling me O2 or T-mobile are any different?

I still do not have an employment contract here and were it not for my family, how could I possibly keep paying for a service I will not use?

Shouldn't you have thought about that before you signed a two year contract?

Sheesh. You did not have to just not blindly accept that contract if you weren't happy with it. There are pay-as-you go options if you don't want to a contract. There's also the option of not having a cell phone.

The point is, it's your responsibility to figure out which option is best for you, and if you lock yourself into a 24 month contract then you're stuck with it. If you think you won't have a job and will have to move back then don't sign the contract.

Committing fraud would be not paying the bill.

Committing attempted fraud is lying to get out of a contract.