Movie recommendations

773 posts in this topic

I have just seen a 2019 film called The Professor and the Madman.   It a strongly based on a true story about the Oxford English Dictionary...yawn...NO....it is, in my opinion a fabulous film starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn neither of whom I particularly like but what a great film and superb acting.     If you get to see it please ensure that you read the couple of credits at the end.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Chester_Minor

I really enjoyed this film...The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  On Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

I think that Michiel Huisman might have to be my new imaginary boyfriend. I've only just dumped Patrick Dempsey for Hugh Jackman (The Greatest Showman is also brilliant, love the soundtrack too).

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@emkay German or US Netflix?

ETA: found it.

The German title is Deine Juliet.  I watched it on Amazon Prime though I think it's also on German Netflix. 

Just home from seeing Yesterday.  It's worth seeing if only because it's full of the Beatles' music.  The conceit is that Y2K (remember that?) results in a time warp in which The Boys didn't write the music that pervaded the last half of the 20th Century.  One man, a hapless musician who was in midair when the time warp occurred, having been hit by a bus, remembers the great songs.  He recreates them from his memories and is overwhelmed with world-wide acclaim for 'his' compositions.  The movie is sweet-tempered and has a low-key love story, so it's safe for the kiddies if they're used to frequent f-bombs. It's not only the Beatles who don't exist in this story, and you'll be saddened by some of the missing items.  But it's an upbeat flick with a diverse cast and a great soundtrack.

if your friend says, "hey, let's go see Midsommar... it's about Sweden in the Summer and shit...'

just say No..

you are welcome.

Took my wife to see the film "Judy" earlier today, I didn't think I'd enjoy it.

How wrong I was. If Renee Zellweger doesn't get an Oscar nomination for her performance, I'll eat my shoes.

Just got back from watching "Doctor Sleep", it's billed as "The Shining 2" but fails to get anywhere near the first film.

Whereas the original film was well scripted and had brilliant performances, especially from the manic Jack Nicholson, this is just a shallow B movie.

Mike Flanagan is certainly no Stanley Kubrick, who as we know has made classics like Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

It did pay homage to the original book in a scene from the Overlook Hotel, but it is a dissappointment. Would not recommend.

Today my wife and I went to see the film "Official Secrets".

It's the story of the whistleblower Katherine Gun who worked for the government at GCHQ in Cheltenham.

She leaked information that the US was using underhand tactics to hoodwink the UN into agreeing to attacking Iraq.

This film uncovers all the lies that the US used to coerse Blair into this illegal war that killed innocent people.  Go and see it.

9 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Today my wife and I went to see the film "Official Secrets".

It's the story of the whistleblower Katherine Gun who worked for the government at GCHQ in Cheltenham.

She leaked information that the US was using underhand tactics to hoodwink the UN into agreeing to attacking Iraq.

This film uncovers all the lies that the US used to coerse Blair into this illegal war that killed innocent people.  Go and see it.

I liked this film too.  

Well the film I saw today was "Joker", and it is a million times better than "Doctor Sleep" that I saw earlier this week.

The story tells of a man who lives with his ailing mother (think Norman Bates) who suffers from mental problems.

Due to governmental budget cuts, his treatment is cut and he is left to fend for himself with disastrous results.

This just shows what happens when society throws people on the scrap heap and they drown in their hopelessness.

Joaquin Phoenix is superb as the tortured Arthur Fleck ( as good as Jack Nicholson in The Shining) as his dark, manic thoughts manifest.

This just shows what happens when society throws people on the scrap heap and they drown in their hopelessness.  Go and see it.

Well, today's offering is "The Good Liar".

A story of intrigue, treachery, murder and double-crossings.

No CGI, no bombs, no explosions, no mass body counts, just a good script and some excellent acting. 

Featuring Ian McKellen, Helen Mirren and Jim Carter, this is one to watch.

Saw Knives Out this afternoon. @sarabyrd and @enview watched it a couple of weeks ago, when they were here, and gave it a rave review.  It's a police procedural with Daniel Craig in a comedic role, Christopher Plummer as the victim, and Toni Collette & Jamie Lee Curtis as suspects. Actually, all of patriarch Plummer's family are suspects, and his nurse is especially high on the list.  Twists and turns, witty dialogue, some stunt car scenes - a little bit of everything. You do have to pay attention.  Everything happens for a reason, unlike real life.
Coming to Germany on 2 Jan 2020.  Reviewers on IMDB give it 8.1 currently; I think I'd give it a solid 7.5.

Saw Bombshell last night.

While there was no 'real' new info, it was an interesting glimpse into the world of Faux News,

the introduction of two fictional/composite characters was just there to...titalate...but it worked.

For a girls 'me too'  night out... it would be perfect.

Watched Knives Out last night.

Well worth it, very nice.

I'll be watching it again to see what things were signaled earlier in the film as soon as it gets to Netflix/whatever