Movie recommendations

783 posts in this topic

But feck me sideways with a badger-shaped microwave, was that Sledgehammer?

Yep, that's David Rasche, alright. ^_^

I used to love Sledge Hammer!. Great show that was. He hasn't done a lot movie-wise, however I do remember him in An Innocent Man with Tom Selleck where he played a crooked cop. But I didn't know he was in Paul Greengrass's United 93 until after I saw it.

The latest 'Empire' magazine (with a choice of two different Dark Night covers as shown below) has a feature on Burn After Reading. Quite a good read, I reckon.

post-9625-1212785230.jpg post-9625-1212785240.jpg

post-21593-1213261455_thumb.jpg

I saw Shortbus last night and came away ambivalent.

The gay sex made me uncomfortable, and the whole wife-can't-orgasm thing was too much "been-there-done-that". And then there was, completely out of the blue, this hollywood happy-ever-after ending, like some unexpected orgasm and its afterglow (was that the point?).

And still, I feel that I've somehow seen something important and worthwhile. Which I don't understand because there are only two things I can see that actually gave me any satisfaction about the film:

- There are some hella weird people out there - that makes me feel all normal.

- Shanti Carson is really, really hot.

Other opinions?

I'm not sure if I want to see Shortbus. I don't think it's my type of movie. :mellow:

Anyway, this ought to be a good movie: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008), which is due in theaters later this year, and being a huge fan of David Fincher's work (Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac) I expect this to please as well. Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton star in this loosely-based 1922 F. Scott Fitzgerald fantasy/drama short story. Claudio Miranda's photography and Donald Graham Burt's production design look beautiful. I just hope it doesn't suffer the fate of Francis Ford Coppola's recent film Youth Without Youth - based on a similar drama - which critics didn't warm to and audiences didn't flock to.

The movie features Benjamin Button (Pitt) as an 80 year-old-man in the early 20th century who physically ages backward. He ages in reverse until he becomes a baby and then finally vanishes from the earth. At age 50, he falls in love with a 30-year-old woman (Blanchett), and then must come to terms with the relationship as they literally grow in opposite directions.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Teaser:

I saw Before The Devil Knows You're Dead on the plane over here, and my god was it depressing. The plot was basically about two brothers, in debt, hate their jobs, and try to do something insane to get out of their dead-end lives. One thing leads to another and the whole thing spirals out of control and then everyone gets shot and dies. Terrific movie, but if you're an emotionally unstable person I do not recommend it. As a 22-year-old thinking about where my life is going it was a massive headspin and I had to then watch Juno for a bit of comic relief.

The whole title of the film is great though: May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. :unsure:

post-12493-1215897036.jpg
I just saw 'Das schreckliche Mädchen' [English title: The Nasty Girl] on TV tonight, a really good movie. It's a German movie based on a real story.

Sonya [sic] is a German high school student who decides to write an essay about her town's history during the Third Reich and its resistance to it. To her dismay, and more so the town's, she uncovers instead definite collaboration during the period. As she digs deeper, she must struggle against the town's vocal and violent opposition to her search for the truth.

The real Sonja emigrated to the US in 1994 because she was continuously being harassed and threatened in her hometown of Passau.

I have checked TV Today online for reruns of the movie in the near future but there aren't any. You can get the movie on DVD at Amazon, though, and for cheaper at Play.com (with English subtitles).

Some movies i saw lately and liked are :

1. Bella

2. Gone baby gone (I wonder how i missed this movie last year)

3. Redbelt

I saw Before The Devil Knows You're Dead on the plane over here, and my god was it depressing. The plot was basically about two brothers, in debt, hate their jobs, and try to do something insane to get out of their dead-end lives. One thing leads to another and the whole thing spirals out of control and then everyone gets shot and dies. Terrific movie, but if you're an emotionally unstable person I do not recommend it. As a 22-year-old thinking about where my life is going it was a massive headspin and I had to then watch Juno for a bit of comic relief.

The whole title of the film is great though: May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Watched "The Bucket List" this weekend. Great movie!!

Both Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007) and The Bucket List (2007) are great movies. Thoroughly recommendable. I wasn't at all depressed with Before The Devil, and I can be a little emotionally unstable at times too. :D It's well written (by Kelly Masterson), superbly directed (Sidney Lumet) and brilliantly acted (Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke at their finest).

This one I'm looking forward to:

The Soloist (2008) - Trailer:

Journalist Steve Lopez (Robert Downey Jr.) discovers Nathaniel Anthony Ayers (Jamie Foxx), a former classical music prodigy, playing his violin on the streets of L.A. As Lopez endeavors to help the homeless man find his way back, a unique friendship is formed, one that transforms both their lives. Based on a true story.

The whole title of the film is great though: May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

You definitely need to see this movie as it was meant to be seen. Airplane movies are a disgrace.

I bought Bin Jip on someone's recommendation a couple of years ago. Boy was that a mistook.

I'm looking forward to seeing Righteous Kill next week - Al Pacino and Robert Deniro!

the new Coen brothers movie Burn After Reading looks & sounds mighty awesome.

Mate, whose film opinion I value, has just seen it and says it's great, up there with Fargo in terms of black farce.

That's good to know. I haven't downloaded seen Burn After Reading yet but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Another one I can't wait to see this coming Xmas is this one: