Good opticians, preferably with English skills

19 posts in this topic

I always go to Dr. Kruse. Tel. 25925200

I always speak German to her but I know she speaks English because my wife speaks English to her.

Hello terenceterence,

I'm an English optician here in Berlin. Not practising however, so of little help in that respect, but if you want any advice or have a query I'd be happy to help.

My boyfriend went to Fielmann to get his eyes tested and while we were there, the 'Optikerin' spoke some English with me when she heard me speaking it. So maybe just ask in your nearest store?

Hi All,

as the above replies are a year old, I wondered if anyone could give me an update? Does anyone know of an English speaking optician in Central Berlin? Preferably around the Charlottenburg/Wilmersdorf area? Also, I used to buy my contact lenses very cheaply online from a retailer in the UK and am looking to do the same in Germany. Does anyone have any recommendations of good online retailers in Germany for this?

Thanks for your help.

:)

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Can anyone recommend a good English speaking optician, preferably one who will sell Acuvue contact lenses (or any other good contact lenses)?

What is people's general experience with opticians here?

I'm urgently needing exactly the same answer. I only have 1 months suply left and I wont leave the house in glasses. Please help us!!!

Just buy them on the internet (linsenplatz.de or wherever). You plug in your measurements and you can just buy what you want - no interest in whether you have a prescription etc like in the UK. (There are other threads about this).

I go to this one:

Contactlinseninstitut Bronk

Kaiserdamm 16, 14057 Berlin

030 3418686

I never spoke English to them, but I just call them because I have an appointment today and asked if they speak English and they said yes.

Just buy them on the internet (linsenplatz.de or wherever). You plug in your measurements and you can just buy what you want - no interest in whether you have a prescription etc like in the UK. (There are other threads about this).

Thank you, this is perfect!

(Search did not give those results, maybe I was looking for the wrong tags?)

I go to this one:

Contactlinseninstitut Bronk

Kaiserdamm 16, 14057 Berlin

030 3418686

I never spoke English to them, but I just call them because I have an appointment today and asked if they speak English and they said yes.

Thanks as well, fingers crossed will find the prescription.. otherwise.. :)

If you don't need a new prescription just buy online. I used Lenscatcher.com twice so far. I can change the language to english so works for me.

Also it is much cheaper if you buy online than in the docs office. :) I use Focus.

I have not used them personally, but always noted the following for as and when i need my next eye test. As you come up the escalator to street level at Richard Wagner Platz, the entrance nearest to and on the same side of the main road as the town hall, theres an opticians there and they advertise specifically "Of course - we speak english "

Hi

You may find this link useful

http://www.aerzte-berlin.de/_php/therapie30/fach.php3

It's a list of doctors in Berlin and you can filter by spoken languages

Hello,

I need an english speaking optician who are not too expensive with some urgency.

Before anyone gets angry i have researched on this forum and the reccomended links either seem to be out of date (i made several phone calls ) I tried my local kielmans and they dont speak any English and i dont want to go with Apollo because they seem quite expensive from what i have read.

I cant go down the internet route as others suggest because my prescription is very old and needs updating and i have difficult eyes.

Im strugling with this so any help would really be appreciated. I dont know anyone else here in berlin that i can ask because ive only just moved.

Thank you in advance

Check out a Fielmann (I think that's what you mean above) in a location where there are plenty of tourists. I would suggest Alexanderplatz. You don't say where you live, but I guess Mitte would be a good guess for finding an optician that speaks English. Fielmann have got pretty good customer service, I would try there first. They will try to help you, even if they don't speak perfect English, if it's as urgent as you say, I'm sure you could muddle through by writing down some key phrases in English (use Google translate or a dictionary) and translate into German.

Can't they take a reading of your current prescription from the glasses themselves? This could key them into most of your difficulties with your eyes, right?

You could also try an eye doctor - get an überweisung from your own doctor and ask for a referral to an eye doctor that speaks English. Your own doctor can look this up, or call a number to find out. You will get a prescription which you can then bring to any store to get your glasses made up.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on getting prescription lenses fitted for my Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses in Berlin. Does anyone have any place they can recommend for something like this? What kind of price would I be looking at for getting lenses and fitting them? Thanks in advance.

Apollo is also cheap. The price will depend on your prescription and the type of lens you choose.

I can recommend the optician 'Lunettes Selection' in Berlin!

They have kind of a special vision test. They don't use the quick tests which you get at nearly every optician today, but a very precise, manual method. They can even check how your vision is at night or in front of a screen. You really should try this one.