Cross-country ski tours

2,056 posts in this topic

Hello! I'd be interested in joining. Is there vegetarian / fish option for the lunch? (I do not eat meat) Should I get the train ticket before meeting, or are we going to get a group ticket?

Hiya, the schnitzel comment was an in-joke; there'll be a normal menu to choose from, which Bavaria being Bavaria means trout and Käsespätzle. We share group tickets, so no need to get your own. Allow around €9 per person for the day for the train tickets.

Bad Bayersoien in the Ammergau

Sunday 1 March, 8.15 a.m., Radius Tours

1. STB

2. CQ

3. eli

4. paleale

5. PP_Munich

1. STB

2. CQ

3. eli

4. paleale

5. PP_Munich

6. NewChris

I've a cold. :(

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

I see some rain in the forecast, but I'd like to join again anyways if this is still a go. :D

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

6. doucetmargot

The precipitation doesn't look so bad, less than a mm. Looks really really warm though! Hope the snow holds up...

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

6. doucetmargot

7. Eep

8. Eep + 1 (ski hire)

@antichristi: you could always just take/rent classic skis for the actual tour and occasionally hop into the skating track to try it out. Then i'd be ok with showing the technique but i'm not an instructor. For actual learning a good intro lesson would probably be best.

Also @STB: what's the name of the lunch place in Bad Bayersoien? We're wondering if it would be possible to shortcut Kirmesauer Runde and head straight there instead of looping around?

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

6. doucetmargot

7. Eep

8. Eep + 1 (ski hire)

9. Eva

Been driving myself nuts looking at forecast after forecast over the past few days, and although there isn't complete agreement it doesn't look like there will be much rain. The forecast for the Bad Kohlgrub weather station is in fact that there won't be any rain at all, but don't quote me on that. There will be a fair breeze.

There was a few cm of fresh snow last night so conditions are looking pretty good. Webcam image of the Seerunde trail below.

For any slower skier there is an option to shorten the route by cutting out the Kirmesauer Runde; we can plan this tomorrow.

post-977-14251269553435.jpg

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

6. doucetmargot

7. Eep

8. Eep + 1 (ski hire)

9. Eva

10. Foley (no train ticket required)

1. STB

2. CQ

3. paleale

4. PP_Munich

5. NewChris

6. doucetmargot

7. Eep

8. Eep + 1 (ski hire)

9. Eva

10. Foley (no train ticket required)

11. Natalia

A change of scenery this week as we head to the Bavarian Forest for a long tour to the summit of Großer Arber, the highest peak in the range. This is a black (difficult) route that requires a good level of fitness as we ski around 22 km with 500 metres of height gain. At heights of 1100 metres and above the snow conditions here are very good; they had a lot of fresh snow on Monday and temperatures will remain below zero until Sunday.

Cranking up the trusty 9-seater minibus, we meet at 8.30 a.m. at Garching U-Bahn station (Garching Garching, not Hochbrück or Forschungszentrum). We drive to the cross-country centre at Bretterschachten above Bodenmais (journey time about 1:45h). If anyone needs ski hire we can stop quickly en-route. The morning is the slightly shorter of the two halves and lunch is in the Chamer Hütte (hot food). In the afternoon we detour to the summit of Großer Arber (1456m) for views as far as the Himalayas (possibly) before descending rather quite quickly to the end of the tour.

Transport costs will be around €20 per person and there's also a trail fee of exactly €2.30. Please sign up below to join.

Bodenmais Aktivzentrum Bretterschachten

Webcam

post-977-14254833330841.jpg