Cross-country ski tours

2,056 posts in this topic

I just received the following email from radl-hautmann.de, the ski hire shop in Fischbachau (near Bayrischzell).

Loipenservice 09.01.2015 - Immer noch gute Langlauf-Bedingungen. Die Loipen sind noch gut in Schuss.

Ab Geitau nur noch bedingt befahrbar. Das Klooascher-Tal ist auch noch gut, das Bachbett ist nur noch im unteren Drittel gut in Schuss.

In den Morgenstunden ist es sehr schnell und teilweise eisig, also nur für Könner. Ab dem frühen Vormittag wirds ein bisschen weicher.

Der angesagte Sturm hat uns noch nicht erreicht, auch gibt es bei uns noch keinen Regen. Am Samstag kommt die Sonne und es wird ein wuderschöner Loipen-Tag.

Looks like it'll be reasonable conditions tomorrow.

Hmm, although the wind will reduce somewhat tomorrow, we may go somewhere a bit more open, partly to avoid a tree falling on our heads and partly because in forest areas the track will be covered in debris. Somewhere in BOB-land though, so timings stay the same. (Photo from Moni-Alm, not by me.)

post-977-14208287086729.jpg

Probably. Anyway it won't be Lenggries after all because they were closed this afternoon already. We'll probably stick with Bayrischzell but take the bus to Stocker. But if Bayrischzell is also closed tomorrow morning and we have to go somewhere else then I can't guarantee ski hire.

me thinking i'll better give it a pass this time ... waiting for better conditions.

Have fun tomorrow!

Bayrischzell (Kloo-Ascher)

SATURDAY 10 January

1. STB

2. NewChris

3. EB

4. Eva

5. Eli

6. Kerstin (the unknown...)

I am sorry for that short cancellation, but with that weather (although it shall be better) later I rather do not go skiing...

1. STB

2. NewChris

3. EB

4. Eva

5. Eli

I think we should cancel too. Am on my way to the station just now anyway. We can discuss there if anyone else turns up.

Four of us went to Bayrischzell today. Snow was a bit thin in places, but it was still a great day.

We covered 13.7 km and took a long lunch at the Bäckeralm. Click for the full set of photos.

post-16-1420914500538.jpg

We were right to be skeptical about the conditions. I don't know if you can tell from this photo, but the snow was noticeably thin in places.

Green snow down your way?

There'll be some decent snowfall on Saturday, but without really knowing how much where we'll play it safe and head up high to Seefeld. I thought we'd take the opportunity to explore some of the black (difficult) routes, as the fresh snow means good grip and soft landings. Needless to say, this week's tour needs a good level of experience and a first aid kit.

Meeting time on Sunday is 8.10 a.m. outside Radius Tours by platforms 26-37 of Munich Hauptbahnhof. The journey is as slow as always but direct. We set off as usual before veering off onto the World Cup course (C1; if open) before heading up and out of the valley and down the other side (C2). After a brief respite on a blue section it's onto the rollercoaster that is C4 to Katzenkopfhütte, where we'll have lunch if it actually exists. We initially retrace our steps, picking up anyone we left along the way, before doing the weird C5/C6/B3 squiggle and then rejoining C2 and plunging helplessly back into Seefeld, where for the survivors there's time to nurse wounds and recover with a well-deserved strong drink.

Total skiing distance is around 22 km. Arrival time back in Munich will be 8.30 p.m. In addition to sharing the cost of Bayern Tickets and tickets for the Austrian section, there's also the €9 trail fee. Sign up below to join. Participation is entirely at your own risk. In the event of death I get your smartphone.

post-977-14213592873778.jpg

Seefeld Cs

Sunday 18 January

1. STB

2. Natalia

3. nomis

4. EB

5. CQ

6. Ophelia_30 (would join you in Weilheim at roughly 09:12)

Seefeld Cs

Sunday 18 January

1. STB

2. Natalia

3. nomis

4. EB

5. CQ

6. Ophelia_30 (would join you in Weilheim at roughly 09:12)

7. Eli

dear nordic skiers, please consider the following info about Seefeld, there is an all weekend ski event taking place and some areas might be off-limits:

http://www.seefeld-langlauf.at/loipe/langlaufen.htm