Cross-country ski tours

2,056 posts in this topic

Fairly thin snow cover today but the scenery more than compensated for that. The theoretical plan for Christmas and New Year is to organise tours every Sunday and Tuesday. This however is obviously dependent on snow conditions, and as things stand it's not looking good for next weekend.

Sunday 21 December

Tuesday 23 December

Sunday 28 December

Tuesday 30 December

Sunday 4 January

Tuesday 6 January

post-977-14185921555778.jpg

Not sure anything will be groomed on Sunday; depends how much damage today's rain does. May not know until Saturday morning, so keep an eye on the thread. Tuesday seems a little more likely, although there still won't be much to choose from.

Sunday looking very unlikely. Tuesday slightly more hopeful in the Bavarian Forest or maybe Praxmar again. Stay tuned.

There'll be another five or ten centimetres of snow this week, which isn't the much anticipated arrival of winter but will help a bit more to open up. So there will definitely be a tour this Sunday, but it will be somewhere further away and higher up. I won't be able to give precise details until perhaps as late as Saturday evening, but expect a car-based tour, setting off at 8.30am, with a maximum driving time of 2:15h. The bus isn't available but we have two cars with room for eight people in total. I don't normally ask people to sign up without knowing what the plan is, but as space is limited it seems the best way.

Mystery tour sign-up

Sunday 28 December

1. STB

2. Ophelia_30

Well, overnight, a storm predicted to hit the French-speaking parts of the Alps on Sunday is now predicted to dump its snowy goodness much closer to pork-land. If the predictions hold true then we'll go skiing on Tuesday instead, rather than trying to drive and ski through falling snow on Sunday.

Continue the signup for Sunday though, as we've been disappointed before and will be again. Will confirm plans on Friday.

Mystery tour sign-up

Sunday 28 December

1. STB

2. Ophelia_30

3. CandyQuackenbush

4. Natalia

5. NewChris

6. EB

Mystery tour sign-up

Sunday 28 December

1. STB

2. Ophelia_30

3. CandyQuackenbush

4. Natalia

5. NewChris

6. EB

7. Foley (but I don't have my own kit so if it can't be rented at the mystery location I'll have to drop out)

Don't really want to drive through the snow on Sunday, but hopefully something will open tomorrow that we can get to by train on Sunday. Stay tuned.

König Ludwig Lauf has posted that the Ettal-Graswang-Linderhof Loipe is open already:

post-16-14196088447303.png

So anyone up for a last-minute trip tomorrow (in addition to Sunday)?

Take the 08:32 train from Hauptbahnhof to Oberammergau. Lunch at the Klosterbrauerei. Ski hire for €12 at Papistock.

Most trails are still closed, but after tonight's snowfall there'll probably be more open tomorrow. I suggest meeting at 9am and deciding there and then where to go. Meeting point is outside Radius Tours by platforms 26-37 of Munich Hauptbahnhof. Expect a medium difficulty route with ski hire available. Oberammergau and some Mittenwald trails are open so there'll definitely be somewhere for us to go.

We had a good day in Oberammergau today. Three of us in the end... newchris, Sylvie, and me. We clocked 20.7 km from Oberammergau to Ettal to Graswang and back to Oberammergau.

Snow was great in places. In others there were occasional bits of grass and stones poking through, but nothing too bad. Long lunch in Klosterbräurei Ettal. Hopefully we'll make it as far as Linderhof sometime this season.

post-16-14197074074226.jpg post-16-14197074118306.jpg post-16-14197074162378.jpg

Hi All, I hope you had a good tour today. I would be interested in joining you on one of the trips this coming week, the 30th, 4th or even 6th. Looking forward to the sign-up info.

Difficult conditions today but lots of fresh snow. Thanks to EB for showing us the way. Next tour will be a sneaky midweek tour on Tuesday; details tomorrow.

Weather forecast for tomorrow is light intermittent snow during the morning, increasing in intensity later in the day. So we'll do a relatively sheltered route with an early start and the bulk of the skiing in the morning. We head to the Karwendel region: the route is the Klais/Kaltenbrunn circuit combined with the second half of the Barmsee Panoramaloipe. Ski hire is on this occasion NOT available as we finish in a different place to where we started.

Meeting time on TUESDAY morning is 8.15 a.m. outside Radius Tours by platforms 27-36 of Munich Hauptbahnhof. Journey time to Klais is 1:40h direct. From there we do three-quarters of the Klais/Kaltenbrunn circuit, on the way back using the connecting trail to skip over to the other side of the valley, where we ski the second half of the Barmsee Panoramaloipe. Lunch is a good 80% of the way through the route, so we have a relatively short and gentle section after lunch to take us to the end of the route in Wallgau.

Total skiing distance is about 15km. This is a BLACK (difficult) route. Please sign up below to join. See the first post for information on what to wear and bring.