Space rocket launches and ISS docking news

216 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Scrubbed due to weather.  Bummer.

Next shot on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Live stream link to NASA/Spacex launch:

Congratulations SpaceX and NASA on a successful launch...

Great launch!

Too bad Jim Bridenstine transformed this into a Trump's political show. Well, that's what happens when you place a political ally in charge of NASA.

Yes, I had to mute Trump when he came on and spoke far too long.

Pence wasn't bad for a Republican...

I watched on the SpaceX site.  No orange moron.  At least not as long as I watched.

They have now docked with ISS and everything is going great.  I wonder how much the whole flight will cost.  I think we were paying up to 85 million per flight to the Russians.

10 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

I wonder how much the whole flight will cost.  I think we were paying up to 85 million per flight to the Russians.

NASA paid SpaceX $3.1B for the development.

Then seat cost is not so simple. NASA audit showed $90M from the Russians vs $55M for SpaceX. The thing is, Dragon can take 7, but NASA is only using 4, as they want to complement the rest with cargo. So in theory they could get $31M per seat.

Of course you need to pay for development, so at this rate of savings you would need to send 51 astronauts to the space station. Assuming 8 years left in the station, that's 6.5 astronauts per year, or one single launch of the 7 seat version. Assuming 4 per launch, you need to launch 88, i.e. a bit more than 8 per year, i.e. 2 launches. They will probably do 2-3 per year, so yes, even so it pays itself off. On top, you get a few tonnes of cargo and you have your own launch capabilities.

So in summary, a great deal for NASA.

Then there is the Lunar Gateway... so potentially more savings.

33 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

NASA paid SpaceX $3.1B for the development.

Then seat cost is not so simple. NASA audit showed $90M from the Russians vs $55M for SpaceX. The thing is, Dragon can take 7, but NASA is only using 4, as they want to complement the rest with cargo. So in theory they could get $31M per seat.

Of course you need to pay for development, so at this rate of savings you would need to send 51 astronauts to the space station. Assuming 8 years left in the station, that's 6.5 astronauts per year, or one single launch of the 7 seat version. Assuming 4 per launch, you need to launch 88, i.e. a bit more than 8 per year, i.e. 2 launches. They will probably do 2-3 per year, so yes, even so it pays itself off. On top, you get a few tonnes of cargo and you have your own launch capabilities.

So in summary, a great deal for NASA.

Then there is the Lunar Gateway... so potentially more savings.

Why did Boeing get a bigger contract even though they aren't launching anything? Well, not anything that worked correctly anyway...

7 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Why did Boeing get a bigger contract even though they aren't launching anything? Well, not anything that worked correctly anyway...

Simple: as with previous cargo contracts, they HAVE to select at least 2 companies. And I agree with the principle, you get redundancy and you have pressure to succeed.

18 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Simple: as with previous cargo contracts, they HAVE to select at least 2 companies. And I agree with the principle, you get redundancy and you have pressure to succeed.

I am not saying that Boeing should get nothing, but they got almost double and have produced very little.  Seems very suspicious to me.  

I genuinely think that Boeing is not capable of making it cheaper. And NASA needs another supplier. Of course people got very upset with the cost differences, but I don´t see much options.

Here is an extremely interesting explanation for what is going on at Boeing since the 1990´s. It is one of those (corporate) life lessons. My current company is going through similar process since it was acquired by a multinational, and outcome is not good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/how-boeing-lost-its-bearings/602188/

A company once driven by engineers became driven by finance.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I genuinely think that Boeing is not capable of making it cheaper.

The don't seem capable of making it more expensively either.  

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

My current company is going through similar process since it was acquired by a multinational, and outcome is not good.

My sympathies to you.  Bean counters should only be in charge of beans.  

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

In case you want to try your hand at docking the Dragon Crew at the ISS, SpaceX has a simulation going on here:

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

The fan on my mac mini just span into warp

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

In case you want to try your hand at docking the Dragon Crew at the ISS, SpaceX has a simulation going on here:

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

OK I docked it.  Where do I sign up for the next mission?

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

OK I docked it.  Where do I sign up for the next mission?

You did? In the end I thought that today is a good day to die and rammed it.

1 hour ago, slammer said:

You did? In the end I thought that today is a good day to die and rammed it.

Really, based on your screen name, I never would have guessed :)

21 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

SpaceX Crew Dragon compared to the Space Shuttle:

v4poyikde8351.jpg

Don´t forget that the shuttle was a design from the early seventies, but it does look kind of analog.