Packstation - automated parcel collection points

175 posts in this topic

post-20-1122279782.jpg
I recently got myself a Packstation account. Seems cool. You get a card, an account number and a pin. Then you can have any package delivered to any Packstation you like in Germany, Munich has 86 of them. Once the package has arrived at your Packstation you are notified by SMS and/or email and you can go pick it up with your card 24/7 – just enter your PIN and out it comes.

Works out great for me, since I'm never at home to receive a package. So far either they've taken it back to the post office where you have to pick it up during their opening hours, or given it to some dodgy neighbour, or just left it in front of the apartment. For me, Packstation is a good solution.

I've been using this for about 6 months and can confirm that it has made life a lot easier.

Maybe it should also be mentioned that the service is FREE.

i have a packstation account for some months now, great thing to get things delivered. but you should keep in mind, that if the station is full or the box you get delivered is too big to fit in - your stuff gets redirected to the central DHL depot in the Arnulfstr. and you have to pick it up there. Kinda annoying, happened to me twice already :P

Starbuck: Which hasn't happened to me yet but wouldn't be any worse than the pre-packstation state of affairs anyway

STB: That's obvious to you and me, but not necessarily to people in the so-called "service" sector around here...

Just a hint:

Don't change your PIN on the Internet on their screwed up site. It doesn't work, even though you get the message 'your PIN was changed successfully'. I entered my new PIN at a Packstation 3x yesterday and my card got locked. When I called customer service they said

"Yes, if you change your PIN on the Internet it might not work even though you get a confirmation message. We are fixing this issue, so it should be working fine in a week or two."

Tossers :angry:

I second that, don't try to use that function.

"Yes, if you change your PIN on the Internet it might not work even though you get a confirmation message. We are fixing this issue, so it should be working fine in a week or two."

that's what they told me on the hotline 6 weeks ago, after I tried to change my pin online and locked my card... :angry:

Got a flyer in the post today, and finally got around to registering.

Do people still have this problem with packstations being full?

not all places deliver to a packstation, so be careful. meaning, if you order something from ebay (por ejemplo) and they ship per GTS or whatever, they won't deliver it to a packstation. we encountered this problem when looking for a dvd from an online shop. in the end, went through amazon cause they ship via deutsch-post.

The package indeed needs to go through DHL/Deutsche Post. I've never experienced a packstation being full, however on one occasion the package was too large. I knew that but tried it nonetheless just to see what happens. They simply stored the large package at the nearest post office, which was right beside the packstation. No problem there.

That sounds very useful!. One question: what happens when you get something from other countries outside the EU and you have to pay a certain amount of money (border tax or whatever the name is?) I guess in this case you cannot use these stations right?

You can pay "Nachnahmegebühr" directly at the packstation when you pick up the package w/ your EC card, any amount up to € 1,500.-

Do people still have this problem with packstations being full?

That still hasn't happened to me.

Well, has it still not happened to you yet?

They don't tell you it's full, they either dump it at the post office although it'd perfectly fit into the Packstation, or, their latest hit, they put it into a different Packstation somewhere else in town. In either case I think the cause is that the Packstation specified is full. On top of that I've experienced 2 Packstations "out of order" so had to wait a couple of days and then go pick it up at the post office.

Also, with Hermes becoming more and more popular (and they of course don't deliver to DHL-Packstations), the Packstation concept now appears questionable.

I had a laptop delivered from the UK to a DHL-Packstation once. Only they, as above, didn't deliver to Packstations and even though the package had my telephone number on it, it was returned to the UK.

In theory Packstations are great. But sometimes... rarely things go wrong.

I never even signed up for a packstation account and whenever things get delivered when I am not home they just bring it to the packstation and leave a note with the info I need.

Anybody tried this for packages from the U.S.?

If they send from the U.S. via USPS or US-DHL will it work?