Returning items that were bought online

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been buying quite a few things online but never had to return anything until now.

The last item I've purchased doesn't live up to my expectations and the many reviews I've seen about it so I want to return it to the seller.

If I understood correctly when the item's price is over 40 Euro then I would not have to pay anything for shipping it back.

What I do not understand is how and when I will receive back my money.

Should I first call the online shop before I ship the item back?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

A.

You should check the Return Policy of the seller, usually you can return the item within 4weeks without an explanation.

Some sellers do pay for the shipping back. You should probably call the shop and ask, how they do it. Although if you do pay for the shipping back, the seller should refund you the charges.

Getting your money back also depends on the shop. If you're lucky the seller will do it fast and you can get your money back, immediately they receive the item but if you're unfortunate, then it might take a couple of weeks.

There is no such fluffiness as "usually you can return..", "some sellers do pay...", "should refund...", "depends on the shop...", "might take...", etc.

German law is quite clear. Anything you have bought online can be returned for full refund without reason if returned within a reasonable time (§355 BGB). Any commercial seller must advise customers of this right in their terms and conditions which must be displayed or clearly available for download on their website. Normally these conditions also provide information as to the returns and refund procedures. "Reasonable time" is usually considered to be within 2 weeks of receipt.

For goods under €40 value the customer must pay return shipping, for goods over €40 the return shipping costs are paid by the supplier. You simply need to write to the supplier (an email suffices) saying you wish to return the goods - you don't need to give any reason for the return. The supplier will then advise on the procedures and either send a return label to return the goods, arrange for pickup, advise you to return the goods "unfrei" (receiver pays charges) or to simply note the cost of shipment to be included in the refund. Any refund will take place following receipt by the supplier through the same payment channel that you paid for the goods and should be immediate.

It is important that any goods returned are "as new" - no damage or obvious use, especially to packaging or you may be charged for depreciation which while it may be disputable is sometimes difficult. This especially applies to CDs, DVDs or games - the packaging should not even be opened.

Remember to get a certificate of posting for any returns in case of subsequent dispute.

Thank you very much for your help.

I will call them tomorrow to let them know I will return the item.

Formal rejection of the goods has to be in the written form. Call them by all means, but only to ask how they handle the return. You still need to write to them (email is fine) advising of your intent so a call is superfluous. You don't need to tell them why you are returning them. Their returns policy should (must) be on their website in any case.

Just one addition, quite a few big sellers include a return form in the delivery and possibly a parcel label that you can use to return the goods free (often even if the value was below € 40). Then there is no need to contact the seller.

Does anyone know if German law requires the refund to include the cost of shipping the item to me (for some items, shipping costs can sometimes be equal to the item itself)?

Not worth starting a new topic but I just bought a case online from the Apple store, it's the wrong size so I'm trying to return it but it seems to be no option to "turn something. Normally there is a retour label inside or an option (aka Amazon) to click and print a return label. I've been online with support now for 15 minutes she had to manually manage the return.

Anyone else had issues returning an item to Apple?

Update:it looks it was just the browser, go figure, started in Chrome, but when switched to Firefox it showed up odd

20 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Not worth starting a new topic but I just bought a case online from the Apple store, it's the wrong size so I'm trying to return it but it seems to be no option to "turn something. Normally there is a retour label inside or an option (aka Amazon) to click and print a return label.

There is usually a return address on the parcel itself.

22 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Update:it looks it was just the browser, go figure

My chrome browser has ad blocks, privacy blocks, you name it and it's my main browser.  Whenever I have an issue, I'll take the page to my vanilla IE and almost always works there...then delete cookies.