World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

I had a look at Qatar U20 football history...to be honest I thought they had done well recently..but it was way back in 1981 when they made the Youth World Cup finals...getting smashed 4-0 by Germany...think that was the same tournament that Qatar might have well beaten England youth team...but could be wrong.

lilplat...why mention Aus and USA and not Iberian or other European bids...England are in Europe...

I am not dismissing either the Iberian or Lowlands bids, either would have made sense over the Russian bid as the infrastructure, stadiums and general football support is already there.

The 2022 bid is the one that shocks me most, it is plainly ridiculous to give a football World Cup to a place that has zero history in participation and is the size of the English Garden in Munich.

As for giving the stadiums away to 3rd world countries afterwards, why would they want a football stadium?

Would they not rather have a gift of irrigation or basic transport services, hospitals or somesuch?

lilplat...why mention Aus and USA and not Iberian or other European bids...England are in Europe...

Because they didn't only garner a couple votes?

...As for giving the stadiums away to 3rd world countries afterwards, why would they want a football stadium ?...

So that they can make their own bid for World Cups in subsequent years...

This is all a bit ridiculous. No one complained when San Marino won the bid to host the Euro Cup.

Possibly because it was one single game and not a whole tournament and it didn't give them a free (undeserved) entry to the tournament.

Oh and it wasn't 50°C there either...

Just a joke, Hazza!

To keep it serious, I heard that the US bid failed because while all 12 of the proposed stadiums are already built and in operation today, 11 will have collapsed by 2022 due to shotty construction, with the sole survivor still up only due to the reality show Who Wants to Salvage an Ounce of Respect?

Nor does being pissed in public get you lashes.

To keep it serious, I heard that the US bid failed because while all 12 of the proposed stadiums are already built and in operation today, 11 will have collapsed by 2022 due to shotty construction, with the sole survivor still up only due to the reality show Who Wants to Salvage an Ounce of Respect?

No worries, we can't educate our populace, keep crime down, equip our soldiers properly or pay our debts, but we are pretty good at putting up new stadiums whenever they are needed

According to Al Qaeda, FIFA are "fools" for giving the world cup to Qatar as the country will no longer exist in 2022...

But this is the best prediction I've ever heard anyone make in regards to a world cup:

Apart from Al-Qaeda not being a country and thus ineligible for entry, Cristiano Ronaldo will be 37 in 2022 and probably watching the whole thing from the comfort of his lounge-room in a more pleasant country than playing in the middle of the fucking desert...

You missed this part "... a user who went by the name Hafeed al-Hussein posted on the Shumukh al-Islam online forum"

and this "...Another user predicted Qatar's demise would come within seven years."

So, someone on an internet forum posted a silly comment about Qatar and we must all take that as fact? The Australian media (SMH in particular) is getting incredibly lazy with their journalism, 50% of the articles seem to be based on comments/reactions of anonymous users on facebook, twitter, forums etc.

You obviously missed some of the nauseous reader comments on the BBC yesterday - "England IS football" being a prime example. ..

It's this kind of attitude that wins them no fans abroad.

I think you'll find, that globally, the majority of football fans do still consider England to be the spiritual home of football. The Premier League is the most watched league on the planet, and the much spoken of "passion" of the English fans is also world renowned, and actually admired by many football fans, even though I personally think it is sometimes a bit damaging to the English game. Sure, you'll get a load of English people bitching about where the next tournaments will be staged, but I personally think the attitude is not "how come England didn't get it", but rather "how the fuck did a non footballing country get it". You can throw in random unjustified statements like "I believe at youth level, Qatar are very good", but that is simply rubbish. How many kids there go out and play football in the park every day? Probably about none. Anyway, playing football on sand is something only Brazilians are any good at.

Surely nobody with more than 3 brain cells can disagree that if a country has never once qualified for the WC, then they probably should not be allowed to host it? I mean seriously, Qatar's qualifying pot for the 2010 contest included such footballing powerhouses as Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Uzbekistan. Yet they still could not qualify. If your country/city is too small to be able to produce a capable football team, then sorry, but it is likely too small to host the WC.

No worries, we can't educate our populace, keep crime down, equip our soldiers properly or pay our debts, but we are pretty good at putting up new stadiums whenever they are needed

Agreed, but, as a former Sonics fan, disagreed.

Well, I just hope that Israel qualify for the Qatar tournament, and end up playing Qatar. I'll laugh my cock off. The Qatar newspapers will make great reading after that game.

Qatar 0 - Country that does not Exist 4

:D

Unfortunately, I'm sure FIFA would find a way of arranging the draw so this could never happen.

I think you'll find, that globally, the majority of football fans do still consider England to be the spiritual home of football.

Any evidence for this?

The Premier League is the most watched league on the planet

Fair point, but how many of the players are English?

and the much spoken of "passion" of the English fans is also world renowned

As seen at Birmingham v Villa on Wednesday.

and actually admired by many football fans

What fans, Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe's?

Any evidence for this?

If you are looking for some link to some webpage or some statistical report, then I can't help you. My opinion is based on mixing with football fans from different countries over many years, and reading press articles from various countries over many years.

Sure, the Premier League does not have too many English players in it - but has the influx of foreigners changed the style? In the 90's whenm a ton of Italians arrived in the PL, did football in England start to become some tedious defensive tactically-obsessed dross? No. It was still the tactically-naive end to end game that the average English fan loves to see. The style of the game is to an extent driven by the fans, and it is a style very much loved the world over.

My views expressed by someone in a newspaper somewhere.

"Indeed, the more you think about it, the more you realise we have been spared something here. That enthusiasm we showed for the tournament, would that have sustained us through eight long years of kow-towing to perhaps the most odious organisation in the world? Sure, it would have been great to see the World Cup on our doorstep, to invite the world into our communities. But, as Russia will discover, when you invite the world, Fifa hitches along for the ride.

One of the most depressing things about the bid process this week was the way it corroded the moral fabric of those involved. To see our elected prime minister or future king obliged to apologise any more for our nation’s robust tradition of free speech to some unaccountable, self-appointed, tin-pot dictator would be too much to take. But now – breathe a sigh of relief across the nation – that will not happen.

Suddenly Blatter, Putin and the desert seems a more harmonious combination for our well-being. Instead, as Mr President suggested we should, we are learning how to lose. Already, it feels a bit like a victory."