World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

Now here's how it played out . . .

Qatar, whose evaluation report rated their bid as high risk, collected 14 votes, while 1994 hosts the US earned just eight to send the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.

Further,

"Australia had a very good bid and they got one vote, we had a very good bid and we got two, the USA had an unbelievably strong technical bid and got three.

"Six votes in the first round between those three, there's something not quite right."

According to BBC Anson said ->

"Australia had a very good bid and they got one vote, we had a very good bid and we got two, the USA had an unbelievably strong technical bid and got three. "Six votes in the first round between those three, there's something not quite right."

Clearly fifa needs reform. Even if there was no corruption (cough cough) it looks like there could have been - just as bad.

The cup should be held in the winning country from the last but one cup - to ensure it get passed around a minimum number of years between - the host then been 2nd or 3 place etc.

If a country doesn't want to host it it goes down the line again.

This way at least football decides not 22 .... what-ever they are.

...and also disagree about who should attend...New Zealand attended this year and I loved being able to support them...beforehand ceratinly not in top 32 nations in the world and still not...but they were the only team NOT to lose a game...

Well New Zealand qualified for the tournament fair and square, so they deserved to be there.

Qatar has never qualified and would also never qualify, despite being in a pretty weak qualification group, if they weren't hosting.

Part of the attraction for all the foreign fans going to watch the games and follow their teams is the opportunity to go out and do a bit of sightseeing in the hosting country on the days when their team isn't playing.

I'm sure that Qatar is a lovely country to see - in Winter. But where, apart from air-conditioned shopping malls and your hotel bar are you going to go in Qatar when it's pushing 50°C outside? It's too hot to even go to the beach.

It's going to be a shithouse world-cup for those fans attending.

thats why it's called a vote...if it was based on what he thought then you wouldn't need the vote to happen...something not quite right that the 3 English speaking countries had the best bids and only got 6 votes between them...now that is typical talking shit!

I'm not surprised at the comments with him being head of the bid...he's hardly gonna come out and say someone else did a better job...

something not quite right that the 3 English speaking countries had the best bids and only got 6 votes between them...

Thats kinda the point.

That something isnt right when countries whose bids would better support a huge sporting event are passed over for desert shitholes who barely even play the game.

I give up, this guy is not listening to anything but the music going on between his ears and just throwing out cheap shots.

So, i'll add one of my own, hope you have a lamp post booked for next summer when the All Blacks choke once again in the Rugby WC.

Yes, did all that tourist shit in a weekend and it was quite shit. I understand some people try to see the value in every place but some places just suck, the middle east in general is one of them. Even if Qatar and the middle east didn't suck, the main point is not about that, its about infrastructure and capacity to hold the millions of guests and Qatar is a shitty choice for that.

Nothing like boozing it up in hotel bars, joy. I mean, since soccer is a game for women and children I seriously couldnt care less, but the situation is quite silly.

Qatar has some really nice pricy Hotels but will have to increase it's Hotal capacity significantly. Qatar will have to change it's law on public drunkeness or drinking in public. Perhaps a waiver during the WC.

So, i'll add one of my own, hope you have a lamp post booked for next summer when the All Blacks choke once again in the Rugby WC.

Haven't they won it the same amount of times as England?

why only point out english speaking countries bids? what about Iberian bid, Dutch-Belgian bid...it's typical English arrogance.

Not worried about the rugby world cup bluedave...I hope NZ can do a good job of hosting and that the rugby played is good quality...England based on how they're tracking should go well...obviously want NZ to win...but if not I can handle pretty much winning everything in between.

Thats kinda the point.

another interpretation is that the English speaking media, which we all read, thought that the English speaking countries had stronger bids than they really did, and as usual were far too dismissive of other countries.

I'm not saying that there were no irregularities with the bidding, but it is quite typical for our Media to paint western society as being more worthy of such things than non-western countries

@VMan...think quite a few fans will possibly stay in Bahrain etc etc...GCC has great network of regional airlines so don't think that'll be a problem.

Think they will also reveiw drinking laws and just depends on if they simply lock someone up to sober up or they kick them out...would imagine that they have said they will be pretty lenient in order for them to have won the bid...

No one is ignoring the Iberian or Dutch Belgian bid, just that people on here don't give a shit about there bid as there are no Iberian /Belgians etc etc on here as its mostly U.S U.K etc etc.

the guy who made the comments is the head of english bid...to my knowledge he doesn't follow Toytown.

According to Al Qaeda, FIFA are "fools" for giving the world cup to Qatar as the country will no longer exist in 2022...

But this is the best prediction I've ever heard anyone make in regards to a world cup:

Another who called himself Abu Khubeib al-Khorasani said 2022 will be the "most exciting" World Cup final, predicting that Portuguese player Cristiano Ronaldo would be kidnapped and Al-Qaeda would win the tournament.

Apart from Al-Qaeda not being a country and thus ineligible for entry, Cristiano Ronaldo will be 37 in 2022 and probably watching the whole thing from the comfort of his lounge-room in a more pleasant country than playing in the middle of the fucking desert...

The head of the English bid talking to an English newspaper... Wonder why would he be focusing on England in his comments...