World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

but as I pointed out other countries need to be given a go...

Please, i've asked before, explain WHY other countries need to be given a go?

Have you ever played football?

Ever been to a packed game on a wet wednesday night where the crowd is steaming but the floodlights and the anticipation make it all turn to magic?

Ever even been to a game?

Once again, it is the FOOTBALL World Cup and not an IMF global initiative.

Shale we hold Wimbledon in Bangalore or Papua New Guinea " to give them a go? "

How about the Cricket World Cup in Belize?

This is bloody ridiculous and surely you can see that?

as pointed out Lilplat visitors to Qatar will have opportunity to visit other countries/cities within region...what were you doing in Qatar?

Bluedave...hosting the WC is I am sorry no substitute for winning...seems like you still have a hangover from Englands limpwristed display in SA...and also disagree about who should attend...New Zealand attended this year and I loved being able to support them...beforehand ceratinly not in top 32 nations in the world and still not...but they were the only team NOT to lose a game...so you see even playing at the event brings out the best in a team...so just be happy with EURO...and take WC for what it is...not that England can win either.

and yes have played football...and like it..but am a rugby player by choice...

To be fair to Qatar and the other oil countries some of them are at least trying to use their money now to invest in the future. That doesn't mean we should just take the money at the expense of integrity of the sport. Shit, did I just use the words integrity and sport. I am getting old.

as pointed out Lilplat visitors to Qatar will have opportunity to visit other countries/cities within region...what were you doing in Qatar?

Work, not that it matters, whatever you are doing you can see every grain of sand in that shithole in a week. Yes, that area is great for a bunch of pisshead sports fans, nothing better than getting loaded and taking a nice trip to saudi or iran... i suppose you can go to Dubai and hang out in malls or drink with all the slave owning expats.

How do i have a hangover from our shite performance in the last one? Where did I say that?

I am talking about football, you are pissing about playing politics.

Not arguing about attendance either, if you are good enough you should be there.

As for the piss poor attack upon me and the England team, that's just a snide throwaway.

Rugby is a different subject but happy to debate that another time.

2026 should go to the vatican or luxembourg...

More likely to be Venezuela, now that it has become a tour of countries rich in the world's natural resources.

Although I hear more oil has been found around the Falklands - would be a popular choice among the penguins.

fair enough you were there for work...just not sure how much you would have had to see some other more cultural things plus other places...

bluedave...is it not all about politics? I guess that's why you're upset (in my opinion you sound upset)...the English gave it their best shot and the delegates told you to piss off...first country struck off the list...

bluedave...is it not all about politics? I guess that's why you're upset (in my opinion you sound upset)...the English gave it their best shot and the delegates told you to piss off...first country struck off the list...

You obviously missed some of the nauseous reader comments on the BBC yesterday - "England IS football" being a prime example. Oh really? On Monday I just watched one of the best games I've ever seen - no English involved...

It's this kind of attitude that wins them no fans abroad.

What cultural things and other places? its a country the size of a postage stamp consisting largely of desert with a population that will be increased by 50% when all the pissheads come to watch soccer.

Thats the main point, its not about how much of a shithole Qatar is, the consideration should be about the sport and where has the best facilities/infrastructure to support its largest tournament.

exactly kludgie...although I am being a devils advocate here a bit because I also would have been happy if England had won the rights to host..but equally lets just get on with it and without doubt both events will be great!

unfortunately some english cannot get over the fact they no longer have colonies...

As an irish guy( not that that matters) i think this absolutely disgraceful,even though im probably echoing many others.

I would like to ,say i don't know how the russkies got it but i cant, as even the dogs in the street know it stinks of corruption.

Funny how fifa say its got nothing to do with money etc etc yet the 2 selected countries are stinking rich at the higher echelons due to dodgy business, oil, mafia whatever. so does money talk? of course!

Add to that the obvious dislike of the English by certain fifa members.

I could go on but i wont,as i think i need not.

unlucky england... was hoping to see a world cup but it seem not now till 2026 as theres no way im going to the next three. which are some of the most expensive destinations/corrupt in the world in Brazil/russland/Qatar.

Regards R.V

Michael Jefferson

I heard from a source they will be amending their laws for the WC. They will make diving illegal

WHAT? Diving illegal? Up until now it was the main reason to visit the country.

If they've got sooooo much money why don't they build air-conditioned stadia?

@lilplat..did you have opportunity to get out in desert and experience traditional dancing/eating/general festivities in the big tents? get on on the water on a dhow...4wheel driving in dunes...camel and goat shagging? Oopps...sorry that's Sharjah...man theres loads to do...and even if its just boozing at a bar isn't that what happens at most WC's? Am pretty sure lots of English supporters in SA would have only seen Table Mountain from a distance...

I'll point out again...I was never against England winning...probably would have preferred that to Russia...but they didn't for whatever reasons...but they are hosting Olympics so win some lose some...

Personnally what they should have done is include the UAE, Qatar, and Baharain and then this would have had the venues in different cities or places. Kinda like the one in 2002. in the UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Qatar, in Doha, and Baharain in Manama.

Just a thought..

You obviously missed some of the nauseous reader comments on the BBC yesterday - "England IS football" being a prime example. Oh really? On Monday I just watched one of the best games I've ever seen - no English involved...

It's this kind of attitude that wins them no fans abroad.

I agree that some English fans can be a little arrogant, but that particular one isn't so bad. It is stating that the English people are very involved in football and that the culture can revolve around the game. I am obviously an outsider, but from what I have seen this is not too far from the truth for a large number of people. This is a comment regarding how much England loves football.

Had that person said that "Football IS England", then I would agree that it is an arrogant comment and dismissive of the many other countries who play and live football.

@lilplat..did you have opportunity to get out in desert and experience traditional dancing/eating/general festivities in the big tents? get on on the water on a dhow...4wheel driving in dunes...camel and goat shagging? Oopps...sorry that's Sharjah...man theres loads to do...and even if its just boozing at a bar isn't that what happens at most WC's?

Yes, did all that tourist shit in a weekend and it was quite shit. I understand some people try to see the value in every place but some places just suck, the middle east in general is one of them. Even if Qatar and the middle east didn't suck, the main point is not about that, its about infrastructure and capacity to hold the millions of guests and Qatar is a shitty choice for that.

Nothing like boozing it up in hotel bars, joy. I mean, since soccer is a game for women and children I seriously couldnt care less, but the situation is quite silly.

@Vman...yes would have made more sense re stadium...but thats why I been trying to point out that anybody who goes will have loads of other places to visit within 1-2 hours...and obviously in the detail Qatar and FIFA believe 1 city can host and do a good job..add in Oman, and Kuwait for the gays and you're spot on...