World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

Should they all go to G8 countries? Not sure.. I would never have gone to SA. I would have liked to, because I hear so many great things about it. But the crime...

Meh, Cape Town wasn't bad - its Joberg that will kill you.

Actually England didn't deserve to get the WC simply because they sent such a dumbfuck as Beckham...listened to him talking about being involved in an interview with CNN...all about HIM winning the bid and taking his sons to a WC in England that HE won...the guy is an absolute twit!!

Qatar...is not a bad place and I would imagine they will do a pretty good job...alcohol and hookers no problems there...although drunken arseholes on the streets could find themselves in some trouble...also neighbouring countries/cities will benefit...Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Bahrain, Oman etc etc...people will be able to cheaply see more than Doha and have a good look around GCC region. And for of thiose people conerned about gays you can head on up to Kuwait the gay capital of GCC region...everybody happy!

Heat I don't think will be a problem as they will be utilising the latest in technology in building stadiums plus donating the kitset stadiums to 3rd world countries after the event (as already pointed out)...lots of people seemed to have spewed forth without even understanding the Qatar bid which will be a "landmark" for green technology. Organisations such as The Qatar Foundation do an amazing job...seems like lack of knowledge about Qatar in general here.

I read a post about Europe and South America having their own comp...thats why you have EURO and SA have their own regional comp...thats why is called a bloody World Cup...

As said by one of the interviewees last night on tv, " if FIFA had explained that the whole bidding exercise was a sham to cover a plan to move the WC around globally to places that would benefit from jobs building stadia and infrastructure then we could have all saved a lot of money producing technical bids and showing that we didn't need to start from scratch ".

I agree with the above wholeheartedly and will once again state that the true footballing nations should stage an alternative WC and leave FIFA to fiddle whilst the image of the beautiful game burns.

Fair enough..

On green energy though, I HIGHLY doubt having the WC in Qatar will be green. Marketed as such ad nauseum no doubt.. But in realiy? Like so much of green energy, the marketing and hype are a bazillion miles away from the reality..

How are they going to get these "kit" stadiums to these 3rd world countries? Sail them?...

You're right, it is a WORLD Cup. But the way they do things now, there's like no sense of merit. It's just la-la PC-projections.. And huge bribes of course.

How green can a world cup be when every damned person thats likely to want to go lives a freaking long way away.

We seem to be focusing on England not getting a go but surely something like the world cup should be going to a major population centre?

What next , Iceland holding the cricket world cup?

No shit, the EU already paid for their infrastructure, might as well get something in return... any excuse to fly pikeyair...

I think we are splitting hairs now when we talk about people travelling to WC because it's in Qatar...once again people in Europe really only thinking about themselves...although Qatar is only about 6 hours away by flight from Europe...other bids South Korea and Japan much further...plus Qatar is closer to Asia and Africa and Oceania...

I also agree with "green" being mostly a load of crap...but you've gottta give other countries a go...I honestly believe Qatar will do a great job simply because it's vital to the entire region (not just Qatar)...take away a few wanker extremists (and it is only a few) I have always found Arabs to be very friendly and hospitable...if you've only visited and not lived there you possibly wouldn't have noticed from within your hotel complex.

FYI...unfortunately the only honest man at FIFA - David Wills from Scotland died earlier this year...he was Head of Legal for the organisation and did his best to keep it clean...to be honest do we really care about bribery? Whoever wins wins...

There are many advantages to countries and their cities hosting these events. Money, tourism, business, etc...

which amounts to billions.

I guarantee you that China is enjoying more business and tourism because of the Olympics

The Same for South Africa...Looked to improve?

Brazil is poor? You might want to look at it's economy, it has an emerging economy...

Yes, there are people in most countries at a disadvantage but the preparation portion provides thousands of jobs for the people of these countries.

How many shanty towns were relocated or hidden in SA or China?

It's all about the rich getting richer.The only difference is that for that month everyone feels a part of their country.

Try googling about South Africa after the world cup then come back on here and say it has improved.

So because China is enjoying more business and tourism since the Olympics that must mean the people of China are a lot better off eh.

People and FIFA should not try and promote the world cup as being some great changer of countries as it isn't.

Also by FIFA awarding it to Qatar does that mean we will never see any sort of FIFA initiative against Homophobia?

I also agree with "green" being mostly a load of crap...but you've gottta give other countries a go...I honestly believe Qatar will do a great job simply because it's vital to the entire region (not just Qatar)...

Why do we have to give other countries a go????

It's not fucking pass the parcel you know!!

You do understand that the whole pouint of the World Cup is to see the best nations in the world compete in a football tournament do you??

Jesus H Christ, this is the bleedin problem, people want to " have a go " and say it should be passed around.

It's the FOOTBALL World Cup! Not a fucking economics package for regeneration and 3rd world hunger relief!!

Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!

ha ha...actually Pas I am a bit concerned about Russia hosting...but as I pointed out other countries need to be given a go...even if it does bring countries together for that month and let them feel special because they firstly "did it" and secondly showcased the best they have to offer.

I was recently at a conference in SA where we had presentations from head of South African Tourism and Minister of Tourism in SA...the WC did an amazing amount of good but they are the first to admit not everything happens overnite...I think most people I know who attended the event in SA had a great time? I am sure anybody lucky enough to attend Russia and Qatar will equally walk away with fantastic memories.

If FIFA don't promote as a country changer how should they approach it? WC seems to be getting bigger and bigger every time and more lucrative?

As a treat for you all...at the new Cape Town World Cup stadium the New Zealanders present at the conference were asked to do a haka at the final gala dinner...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MaiUMNm5w

I think South Korea did ok when the hosted? South Africa did ok? Russia I am sure will equip themselves ok...and as will Qatar...I think Qatar is pretty strong globally at a youth level...

I was recently at a conference in SA where we had presentations from head of South African Tourism and Minister of Tourism in SA...the WC did an amazing amount of good but they are the first to admit not everything happens overnite...I think most people I know who attended the event in SA had a great

time? I am sure anybody lucky enough to attend Russia and Qatar will equally walk away with fantastic memories.

I was in Cape Town and Durban, my fantastic memories are all sport related, not related to the country... And having been to Qatar it doesn't really bring much to the table, at least Cape Town has some nice scenery...

Its a soccer tournament, nothing more. It should be held somewhere with proper infrastructure, not entirely sure how a country the size of a postage stamp is gonna deal with the influx of pissed up tourists.

The world cup is supposed to be the best teams in the world competing at the highest level. Now there has always been the slight discrepancy that the various regions aren't of equal strength, indeed you could argue it's harder to win the European championships than the WC. So how can you justify giving the world cup to a country that has never qualified , and never will in all likelyhood, who then automatically qualify.

It's like giving a wildcard entry to a local kid on a go-kart when Formula 1 hits town.

The sport is clearly not the top priority.