World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

So what smells of (b)ribery?

Just imagine it had been

2012 Olympics

2014 Commonwealth Games

2018 World Cup

How much would that have cost in backhanders?

Best quote I heard yesterday was from Beckham.

' know we've all been working terribly hard. I know that Prince William was up at 7.30 having breakfast with one of the members,'.

Bloody hell. Breakfast at 7:30 A.M. Time to get back to your day job.

P.S. I always wondered about the exact meaning of Schadenfreude. Now I know.

Listened to the UK weather stories for the last few days on 5 Live. Naturally today there was only 1 other theme.

On the spot from Zurich journo-journo interviews on 5 Live this morning

--- Editor defence of the reports on Panorama of 1989-99 FIFA bribery (which wasn't illegal, at the time, under Swiss law)

--- Sunday Times Sports/Bribery reporters on their reports of 2006 & 2010 FIFA ticket touting

--- Robust questioning of senior London UK Russian journo, Do you accept Wikileaks (not US State Dept cables? ) assertion of Russia being the Mafia State?" (As if the man would say yes. FFS)

"So, why didn't PM Putin come like our PM did?" (mockingly inferring toys thrown out of pram)*

Everyone full of confidence despite the slew of witness reports on last nights Brummie/Villa derby. Pitch invasion, fireworks, spitting showers and hooli CS attacks ON the police, was all of no consequence. At least not to the footie pros and journos.

About 40% of the (English) phone-in callers were less enthused about 2018 coming at all.

They talked through most of the other countries efforts, but I heard the England presentation.

Sir Bobby Charlton, Wills, David (of Posh), David (the POSH) then the (unseen) video commentary underpinned with a sickly sweet shmalzy piece of music that would've made Andre Rieu sound like a heavy metal artist.

ONE English journo just pointed to the fact that the Russian delegation had been hitting FIFA delegates with just this comparison:

World Cups staged so far in

Western Europe 10: Eastern Europe 0

They're on the Post Mortem now. Suddenly it's BBC Mea Culpa on the timing, but of course the Sunday Times will be blamed as well (phew).

David Cameron doing the, "All hail the sterling work of Willi Windsor and Becks." number now. At least he didn't say, "We wuz robbed"

Yesterday it was, What U-turn on cutting School Sports budget this week? and Well worth hopping back and forward daily from London to Zurich for England 2018 ...even if no other flights can land or take-off.

In totally unrelated Mafia business news today...EON sells GazProm shares... SHELL and GazProm in partnership deal... PEPSICO buys Russian #1 soft drinks company WIMM-BILL-DANN <<anyone for dennis?>>>

Expect GAZPROM, SHELL & PEPSICO to be major WC2018 sponsors and Sepp B & Co to go on time-share hols to the Batcave with the Alphadog.

Back to the failing efforts of the Surrey Police to convince everyone to stay home and -25C in my Grampians.

Commiserations to (not enough gas) England , and (not enough oil) Australia

2B

* Just hearing, Vlad the AlphaBat IS NOW coming to Zurich to thank FIFA.

Massive black cases get proper diplomatic immunity and serious gloating begins.

From the BBC feed.

1656: Here's some breaking news that is difficult to swallow. England only got TWO votes in the first round of voting

So Panorama had no effect. Looks like somebody shone a light and the cockroaches just said fuck you.

1656: (...) England only got TWO votes in the first round of voting

Wow, I didn't realise the World Cup has been running that long!

Wow, I didn't realise the World Cup has been running that long!

Apparently Cromwell pissed off a few FIFA representatives with his invasion of Ireland.

Bloody fuckin' typical, innit? England goes to a World Cup expectin' to win it again...

Next time we don't send three wallies, but do it the Russian way; "Ghallo FIFA judge. Ghyou see gun? Ghyou know ghow to vote, da?"

FIFA have followed a long tradition of embarassing themselves, the SA bid was well known to have been a stitchup tied to the Germany bid and to sell it to a country with less inhabitants than Munich defies belief. :blink:

As for Russia winning the 2018 bid, let's just fuck the fans again who will have to travel between eastern Europe and Siberia.

Mkes me wonder if it's not time for the " traditional football nations " as mentioned earlier to tell FIFA to fuck off and organise a rival competition involving the nations of Europe and South America . . . .

I reckon I know where the sponsors would want to spend their money and where the fans would rather go. :)

Actually that could be the good thing to come out of this. If Qatar can show tolerance towards people who don't share the same values then that would be a good thing?

Aye money talks.

Just read Qatar would have to build 9 of the 12 proposed stadiums. Maybe they can hire Americans to help with labor?

But what exactly does a country with a population half the size of Chicago do with 12 WC-class stadiums when this is over?

Will be interesting to see how Qatar deals with it all. I'm sure people being plastered, partying, possibly being scantily clad, etc will definitely go down well with their customs. How generous of them to be "ok" with Israel taking part.

If each stadium holds around 80,000 plus like they usually must when they finish each resident in Qatar will have their own seat.

And then there will be the accommodation. Basically the population of the country is likely to nearly double for the two weeks of the world cup.

This is so crazy I'm beginning to wonder if Kim-Jong Ill is secretly now running Fifa.

Regarding Qatar, I've read a lot of "omg, blatant corruption" posts here and other forums. Being an Aussie, I'd like to hide behind this as an excuse, but being rational it does actually make sense that they won.

Competition:

- Australia

- Qatar

- Japan

- Korea

- United States

Now, votes from Asia would likely be split between the AFC countries (Japan, Korea, Qatar, Australia). This dilutes the number of votes which any one of these countries will receive early on in the voting. Australia lost one of their 'sure' votes when the OFC candidate was ruled ineligible to vote (a result of the recent bribery scandal), leaving them in a weakened position as they are not particularly welcome within AFC. It is not a big suprise that they were the first ones out.

Japan (2002), Korea (2002) and United states (1994) have all hosted the world cup in recent years, and this would probably have reduced their chances significantly. They are also countries where football is already making large inroads and probably do not require much assistance by way of a global tournament to continue this progression.

Now that leaves only Qatar. A small countries indeed, one without much of a football history too. However hosting the cup here is not just about the one country, but it is about opening up the game to the entire Persian gulf region (150 million people), and perhaps to a greater extent opening it up to the Islamic culture (1.5 billion people). These are important demographics where football has not got much of a stranglehold in the commercial sense (Turkey being one of few exceptions). Considering the wealth of these countries, it makes perfect sense for FIFA to be seeking some of this.

I would have loved Australia to have won, but I do think that Qatar hosting is logical and perhaps the best result not only for the sport but also a very good result for the future of society.

Just read Qatar would have to build 9 of the 12 proposed stadiums. Maybe they can hire Americans to help with labor?

But what exactly does a country with a population half the size of Chicago do with 12 WC-class stadiums when this is over?

If each stadium holds around 80,000 plus like they usually must when they finish each resident in Qatar will have their own seat.

And then there will be the accommodation. Basically the population of the country is likely to nearly double for the two weeks of the world cup.

This is so crazy I'm beginning to wonder if Kim-Jong Ill is secretly now running Fifa.

In Quatar's bid, they said they will donate the stadiums to other countries when it's over which is quite decent of them, don'T know how that will work though, maybe they have IKEA as consultants, buy one FIFALA stadium, get one free or something.

A few problems I foresee is that Quatar is a country where homosexuality is illegal and punished by whipping, womens rights are marginal at best it is also alcohol free, so the chances of seeing drunken blonde Holland fans in miniskirts is negligable.

After the Qatar WC the stadia will be dismantled and donated to other football developing countries who can use them.

Seriously England, get rid of the massive chip you've been carrying around on your shoulder since 1966.

Why is everyone dissing the quality of the Qatar team? They buy their sportsmen. They have bought Bulgarian weightliters and Kenyan athletes and so on. The former have won Olympic medals and the latter have won world titles.

I mean - by 2022 - they will probably have a whole raft of household names in their team. Think about it. A footballer. No chance of playing for your own national team. You get to play in a world cup and your new nation pays you an absolute shedload for the privilege (10k a month for life or whatever) on top. They might even end up winning ;) .

I don't think either result was a surprise. The world is moving on. EMEIA is where the action is now.

Quatar is a country where homosexuality is illegal and punished by whipping

Well, hell. I'm sure as hell not going then. Last thing I need is to be whipped for marching my gay self to a soccer game. :blink:

For the 2022 WC, the alcohol laws will be relaxed. So you won't have to worry about drinking your own piss...Budweiser will be there to sell bottles of it to you.

Quatar is a country where homosexuality is illegal and punished by whipping

I heard from a source they will be amending their laws for the WC. They will make diving illegal and the punishment will be the same as above and for gods sake don't handball on the goal line, whether you mean to or not!!

Seriously England, get rid of the massive chip you've been carrying around on your shoulder since 1966.

you could get over your dislike of England :) why single out England here and not the US or Oz?