World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

Quite right MJ. A country of 840,926 really needs a world cup.

They obviously do, otherwise they wouldn't have put a bid in.

The average maximum temperature in Qatar is 46°C in July and 44°C in August.

Will any players survive this tournament?

but it's a *dry* heat... :|

I don't care about Qatar's "strength of bid" - that's just the method they use of begging and pleading. What about the practicalities of playing in 40°+ temperatures?

Well I was at Adelaide for the first day of the Ashes game there about 12 years ago and it was 46 degrees. Though to be fair we did bugger off home and sit drinking beer as it was too hot to breathe.

but it's a *dry* heat... :|

Apparently not only.

From Wikipedia:

The long summer (May through September) is characterized by intense heat and alternating dryness and humidity, with temperatures reaching 50 °C (122 °F).

Well I was at Adelaide for the first day of the Ashes game there about 12 years ago and it was 46 degrees. Though to be fair we did bugger off home and sit drinking beer as it was too hot to breathe.

Can you buy beer in Qatar?

Budweiser must be pissed off too...

EDIT: It just gets better...

Under Qatar's Sharia, it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

So what real football fan is going to want to go there?

The website said the government said they would sell booze in fan areas for the WM.

Its a big blow for England in 2018 though, the way their team looks these days they will probably need that automatic qualifier.

I see Albert Speer is the architect behind the Qatari stadia. Gosh!

Some more Qatar facts (from Wackypedia):

World Cup usually occurs in summer. During this season in Qatar, the temperature can get to 40 degrees Celsius. But Qatar says that it will be able to pull this problem off its list. A section from Qatar 2022 Bid official site explains,

"Each of the five stadiums will harness the power of the suns rays to provide a cool environment for players and fans by converting solar energy into electricity that will then be used to cool both fans and players at the stadiums. When games are not taking place, the solar installations at the stadia will export energy onto the power grid. During matches, the stadia will draw energy from the grid. This is the basis for the stadiums’ carbon-neutrality. Along with the stadiums, we plan to make the cooling technologies we’ve developed available to other countries in hot climates, so that they too can host major sporting events."

Such cooling techniques will be able to reduce temperatures from 40 to 20 degrees Celsius, which would be comfortable for players and spectators during matches, the bid also proposes these cooling technologies to be used in fan-zones, training pitches and walkways between Metro stations & stadiums

Alcohol

Hassan Abdulla al Thawadi, chief executive of the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, said the Muslim state would also permit alcohol consumption during the world’s most watched sporting event. Specific fan-zones will be set up during the event, they will provide alcohol for sale

Israel

Qatar would let Israel take part in a World Cup on their territory despite not recognising the Jewish state,[7][8][9] the head of the Persian Gulf nation’s bid to stage the 2022 event said. Israeli athletes had competed previously in Qatar, such as Israeli tennis player Shahar Pe'er in 2008,[10] In addition to another Israeli that participated in the Doha 2010 Indoor Championships

So what real football fan is going to want to go there?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess maybe a football fan might go? I'll let you in to a little known secret of a travelling fan, they go regardless of what the facilities are like.

Hazza, they asked the same question about South Korea and South Afria. I'm sure the same will be asked of Russia.

If you build it, they will come.

I see Albert Speer is the architect behind the Qatari stadia. Gosh!

That's interesting. Is there already a stadium somewhere that can do that or are they relying on new, as yet undeveloped technology? Also - up to 40° is a bit low. Its average is well above that.

Still, well done Qatar on outbuying the other bidders. I'll be waiting for this with baited breath...

Hazza, they asked the same question about South Korea and South Afria.

Being a pisshead doesn't get you thrown in jail in those places though (well it might well get you killed by criminals in Joburg..)

Put your tellies on lads - the Qataris are celebrating their "victory" with vuvuzelas right now! So no booze, but burquas and vuvuzelas... I actually want South Africa back... :(

Or this is FIFA's way of saying this is the WORLD cup and it should not revolve around the main footballing nations as people seem to think it should.

Kind of like the World Series etc eh :blink:

I am a damn site more shocked about Qatar getting it in 2022 than I am about Russia in 2018 and am glad England didn't win it.

We all know that FIFA don't actually give a flying fuck about spreading football it is more how they can spread the name of FIFA and where they can make the big bucks.

FIFA walked away with a massive profit from WC2006 whereas the German tax payers were left with a massive debt.

Actually that could be the good thing to come out of this. If Qatar can show tolerance towards people who don't share the same values then that would be a good thing?

Russia isn't much better though - Qatar is basically a US Airforce base at the moment (innit?) so it's pretty safe I guess - Chechnya actually would frighten me slightly more.

Pas of course it would be a good thing, but it's not the locals I'd be worried about...

And yes, Russia would also be of concern.

Well at least I know where I won't be going for summer hols 2018 and 2022.