World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

An American announcer said, 'And Iceland defeats Argentina, 1 to 1!'

And he was right!

A fourth game?  I thought that was it for today.   This is new, isn't it?  I remember we only got three, before.   I may not know who Costa and co are, but I certainly do know who Nigerian defensive kingpin Balogun is, he was in their team right back when he played here, and since then at Mainz (he's just signed for Brighton in EPL), this very close central defence pair is the foundation of this team.  (ZDF webstream letting me down right now :angry:).

Edit - And call me stupid but now I get why  so many people were wearing that eyecatching Croatian checker jersey in town today.

Edit2 32' - Oh dear, Leon rather spectating there, picking up neither man nor ball :mellow:.

1 minute ago, swimmer said:

A fourth game?  I thought that was it for today. 

They have more teams this year.  It's noon now and I've been awake nine hours, since 3AM PDT.  This is going to be a long group session for the people lucky enough to be at home all day.

I am nearly 600km from where I was when the first game finished :lol:

But meantime I saw those Croatian fans in east Berlin and various footy compies going on in the main station, and I heard the Iceland result announced on the train.   It's really everywhere.   And of course there is free wifi on many trains now so you can watch the live feeds if you want. (I didn't, but I did keep checking live blogs as I mentioned the other day).

33 minutes ago, katheliz said:

They have more teams this year.

No, still 32 teams. In 2026 it will be 48 teams incl. Canada. Normally, you have 4 games on one day if it is the last group match of two different groups.

48 minutes ago, john g. said:

Iceland are is hot// Again!!!

FTFY.

Iceland could have scored more goals if they hadn't wildly kicked the ball downfield every time they had control of it.

Just saying.

(I hate it when teams do that to only lose possession 90% of the time)

11 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

No, still 32 teams. In 2026 it will be 48 teams incl. Canada. Normally, you have 4 games on one day if it is the last group match of two different groups.

FTFY.

Oxi!!! ( Greek for " no " ).!!!! 

British English: sports teams are plurall!!! England are lousy, Scotland are lousy, Nigeria are losing 1-0 right now!! !!!

Free information from an expensive teacher!!!:D

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Iceland could have scored more goals if they hadn't wildly kicked the ball downfield every time they had control of it.

Just saying.

(I hate it when teams do that to only lose possession 90% of the time)

Welcome to my world :lol:.   They qualified by doing that, I think, 25% possession and winning 3-0 in Turkey.   Nigeria look to be doing a bit of that as well.   It seems to be how it is now - countering is considered the only chance now the game is so skewed to a few top teams.   Was reading that in an article today about Germany.   Unfortunately in some ways, it is often at least as effective as trying to build.

In the US, as contrast, I heard a respected sports announcer say last night that without the US or Canada participating this year, there's not much interest in the Cup here.  Well, his specialty is basketball and he's complained before how little scoring there is in soccer.  And he's forgetting all the soccer families whose 9- and 10-year-olds are getting their first taste of the Cup.  Oh, and how about all the families with Central and South American heritage?  There's enough interest that the games are shown without commercials, and that means that broadcasters - Fox, I'm afraid - are making money, which is always the bottom line.  I wouldn't be surprised if four or eight years from now premium channels will show the games properly and poor people will get games with commercial breaks, or only selected games.

EDIT - Thanks, @LukeSkywalker, for your correction.  Like @swimmer, four games in a day had me bemused.

Are we about to go again?  I am generally pro-Serb, including sporting contests.  Lesser known player spotting again, we got a season out of Costa Rica's much-capped Junior Diaz Campbell but he's career end now, not playing here.   I have definitely seen Chicarhito, when he played for Bayer Leverkusen, he was high impact when he signed there.

I'm actually a bit frustrated this morning because we are trying to confirm summer holidays, but the 2018/19 fixtures which begin quite soon have not been set yet, so still waiting on them, all we know is one away location (for the Cup) but not exactly when :rolleyes:.   These days, it's a four day window.

Didn't really see it (except a few mins where the Germans were doing nothing but stand around) but sounds like the doubts about the squad hit home there.   I question Werner, a career of flat track bullying on the back of RBL cash, but off the pitch in 30 minutes because it was too noisy the first time he had to step up (Europa League in Turkey)...but hopefully he will make me eat my words (because already someone's gonna have to make me) B).  Early days yet.

Its eerily quiet around here

compared to the usual post- WC or EUFA match euphoria

that usually follows Germany's games.

First time in 36 years they've lost one of their opening WC matches though.

Still, as reigning champions, it should be a doddle for them to grab 6 points out of their next 2 matches, oder?

2B

Hmm, the last time they played Sweden, it was 4-4 after leading 4-0 against the Vikings. Sweden kept Holland and Italy out of Russia.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Hmm, the last time they played Sweden, it was 4-4 after leading 4-0 against the Vikings. Sweden kept Holland and Italy out of Russia.

I was at that game. It was quite the experience.

10 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Its eerily quiet around here

compared to the usual post- WC or EUFA match euphoria

that usually follows Germany's games.

First time in 36 years they've lost one of their opening WC matches though.

Still, as reigning champions, it should be a doddle for them to grab 6 points out of their next 2 matches, oder?

2B

I dunno.  Anything can happen, that's the beauty/torture of soccer/football, right?

Italy, Chile and the Netherlands aren't even playing this year. 

Anything can happen.