World Cup 2018 goes to Russia

677 posts in this topic

after that stitch-up, we should follow Scotland and Wales' examples and just refuse to even try to qualify in future.

Actually England didn't deserve to get the WC simply because they sent such a dumbfuck as Beckham...listened to him talking about being involved in an interview with CNN...all about HIM winning the bid and taking his sons to a WC in England that HE won...the guy is an absolute twit!!

I'm not quite sure why Beckham can create so much hatred towards him -> what's he done -> come from a working class back-ground - he's not a scholar - he's a footballer ... he's not an orator -> he's a footballer -> he's not the 2nd einstein - he's just a footballer.

He manages to earn a lot of money doing something he clearly loves, which according to the proffessionals in and around the game , he also happens to be good at...

He gets married, has kids - 15 years (?) later is still actually married despite the pressures of the british media trying to pull him down / them apart.

Why do people hate the guy so much... only reason I can think of is jelously!

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London has struck back against Sepp Blatter and his corrupt cronies.

They had been invited to stay at The Dorchester Hotel during The Olympics in 2012.

Boris has now withdrawn the invitation.

Back of the net!

Phew! I bet Sepp's relieved.

England are now paying the price for trying to stiff Germany for the 2006 WM. There's always 2030, the next time the WM will be held in Europe.

@chad8504...yes they have oil...but gas is the biggie for them...not sure what you mean by being openly gay?? You won't be locked up for holding hands...that happens all the time in GCC countries...you would be locked up for shagging in public...as you would in any other country...

@artrocks...yes totally...he who pays wins...perhaps Russia and Qatar are actually able to pay for this...

sorry Hazza...that was a joke about NZ soccer coach...just ironic that he's actually English...anyhow...

And all your other posts suggesting that Qatar are deserving winners of the bid.

Were they all a joke too?

Because it's pretty hard to tell...

no they weren't...I think they'll do a great job...and I guess only time will tell...

But tell me what makes a country deserving to win in your opinion?

Any of the others - particularly Australia (OK maybe a bit biased here)

But do you really think that Australia wouldn't host a better world cup for both the players and the travelling fans?

Australia has a better climate, less restrictive laws and more for fans to see and do outside of the soccer. Plus they have a team that would have had a good chance of qualifying without getting a free entry.

So apart from being geographically better positioned, what advantages does Qatar have over Australia?

EDIT: sorry, I misread your question as "What country deserves to win it in your opinion?" So I didn't quite answer your question.

I think that it should be either a traditional soccer country or one that's "emerging". It should definitely have a good chance of qualifying without a free entry, to maintain the standards of the competition.

It should also be the country that's best suited for players and tourists alike. From climate, to infrastructure, to local laws, to security, to general "visitability"...etc.

A country with some football stadiums and football fans would be a good start. Might be quite nice to have it in a country that does not do draconian stuff like banning Israelis from entering too.

I liked one of the quotes from the former NZ coach about Qatar though.

"Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia are all close by and it's seven hours from London and seven hours from Singapore,''

"It's a pretty central place.''

Brilliant. Equidistant from Singapore and London, ergo central.

I also like that he champions the fact that Dubai, and Saudi Arabia are nearby. Well, when I say I "like" that, what I mean is, I find it hilarious. Saudi Arabia is nearby, so it is a great place for the football world cup? Eh?

That's like trying to decide where to go for some drinks with a few mates, and one of them saying "ooh, we should go to bar X. There is a hairdresser close by. " Fucking ridiculous.

ha ha...nice Don..finally someone had a laugh at old NZ soccer coach!

Ok understand what you're saying Hazza about Aussie...and I don't disagree it would have been a good WC there...just like I don't think it would have been bad in England..all I am saying is that I think Qatar will also be pretty good..including I would say their football team come 2022...

Can I ask (because I don't know) but was USA ranking and South Korea's World rankings before they hosted WC?

Another poser...they say in sport that the weather is the greatest leveller...why should the WC be played in conditions that may "suit" players from different countries better? What is wrong if the average heat for a game in Qatar is higher for example than in Europe? Isn't that the whole point of something like a WC where people come from all over the world and meet to play in different countries under different playing conditions...what would happen if Germany or USA hosted a WC and it was played on fully artificial turf or charcoal (similar to Nth Germany)? Also the fact as a player that you have to travel to a place that could be totally foreign to you...including crowds and their behaviour?

Well off-base at the end there Alcala... No to most of all that last paragraph.. For the same reason you wouldn't host Wimbledon in Antarctica.

what about rankings of other host nations before the were given hosting rights?

Can I ask (because I don't know) but was USA ranking and South Korea's World rankings before they hosted WC?

Both USA and South Korea have played in earlier World Cups and have a realistic chance of qualifying. That cannot be compared to Qatar who have not yet qualified for any world cup.

The rest are secondary issues. I am sure they will make use of the latest technology so that the temperature inside the stadium is contained.

completely agree re stadiums...and I guess (hope) their team will also justify automatic inclusion into the WC over the next few years.

maybe the one with the actual best bid rather than some other hidden agenda. As was said if it was simply the aim of fifa to give it to countries that didn't have the infastructure or stadiums why didn't they say so at the beginning & could have saved England quite a few million pound that could have been invested in the game here.

what constitutes the best bid...and sorry chris999 am not trying to be pedantic...