Avoid standing orders and direct-debit billing

94 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

The mobile phone ones are a complete pain.

Not anymore as the law has changed. Following a renewal you now have the right to terminate with 1 month notice

The otehr one is car insurance.  There seems to be only  a one month window within the calendar year rule when you can switch insurers.

No, there is nothing to stop you cancelling more than one month before the end of the year. You just have to do it at the latest 1 month before.

On 6/27/2022, 2:03:03, Marianne013 said:

Next post: Germans don't want to make contracts with foreigners !!! Discrimination !!!!

Which is what happens if you follow this advice: You spoil it for other people. Don't do it. One year contracts aren't exactly unheard of in Britain either btw.

Thank you for your gaslighting, Marianne, but if you take an English dictionary and try reading my post again, you will find out I did not recommend stopping to pay.

Now, your post contains some false information I would like to address:

1. Germans already don't want to make contracts with foreigners because they have no Schufa. This is why I don't recommend anyone to move to Germany without a valid work contract and relocation assistance from the employer. 

2. I haven't lived in Britain, but Israeli civil law is based on British law introduced during the times of the British Mandate for Palestine pre-1948. We have yearly contracts, but we can cancel them at any time. No renewable bullshit and payment for services you no longer use. Actually, it's a common practice to get a better deal by canceling the contract. The customer service will call you and try to convince you to stay. Usually, you can negotiate a better price during this call. This will never happen in Germany. 

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

No renewable bullshit and payment for services you no longer use. Actually, it's a common practice to get a better deal by canceling the contract. The customer service will call you and try to convince you to stay. Usually, you can negotiate a better price during this call. This will never happen in Germany. 

Same in the US.  My Wall Street Journal, NYT subscriptions do just that...cancel, low price, renew.

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Actually, it's a common practice to get a better deal by canceling the contract. The customer service will call you and try to convince you to stay. Usually, you can negotiate a better price during this call. This will never happen in Germany. 

It's the same in Germany nowadays. As I pointed out above:

6 hours ago, jeba said:

Following a renewal you now have the right to terminate with 1 month notice

4 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Actually, it's a common practice to get a better deal by canceling the contract. The customer service will call you and try to convince you to stay. Usually, you can negotiate a better price during this call. This will never happen in Germany. 

When I changed internet providers recently my old provider most certainly did call and try to offer me a deal. I didn't budge because although I would have a better deal for the first two years, I'm too lazy to bother cancelling again so it's not about the first two years but rather all the other ones. 

16 hours ago, LeonG said:

When I changed internet providers recently my old provider most certainly did call and try to offer me a deal. I didn't budge because although I would have a better deal for the first two years, I'm too lazy to bother cancelling again so it's not about the first two years but rather all the other ones. 

My provider called me and offered to lower the monthly payment by 5 EUR, the catch? It would be a new contract so I would be attached for 12 or 24 months again (don't remember at the moment).  I've been with them for 13 years so I don't really care and took the discount.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

My provider called me and offered to lower the monthly payment by 5 EUR, the catch? It would be a new contract so I would be attached for 12 or 24 months again (don't remember at the moment).  I've been with them for 13 years so I don't really care and took the discount.

They were offering me a slightly better deal on the first 2 years and after that 10€ a month more than the company I was changing to.  I could have taken the 2 year deal and changed providers after that but since I already cancelled and signed up with a new provider, I couldn't be bothered.

Yup, one of my jobs today is to call and cancel mine - the faffing about is annoying, when they offer something awesome you have to remember to cancel after the initial awesome period has worn off - I am almost always using my phone for whatsapp on wifi, and the few calls/4G moments are probably only worth a couple of euros a month.

Just switched my car insurance after getting rather peed off with my Anbieter sticking up the premium €60-80 every year, regardless of my exemplary driving record.  Did my research on the internet, basically Check24,  and found a much better deal (wasn't difficult) and made contact with the local Rep. of one well-known insurer. She basically came up with the same premium, so I went down to the office a couple of days later to finalise the paperwork.

First thing,  it was a colleague, and she brushed off the premium quoted and added on another €30 saying the rates had gone up for July (despite it still being June!).  When I continued to question why the rate had changed she said the colleague must have assumed I was using "telemax" (some sort of automatic tracking device), which was the first I'd heard about it. Next thing she starts trying to push all kinds of extras, especially one to cover me for legal help in a dispute over a claim.

Having said I'd managed up to now without such extra cover, I ended up accepting the extra €30 as I couldn't be bothered walking out and starting again elsewhere. All the while, the sales Rep. was moaning about her guys in head office, the computer system, the effect of the war in Ukraine. I think I was supposed to feel sorry for her. Up to now, I'd always assumed that if you get through a year with no accidents or claims, your premium gets reduced, but apparently that doesn't apply here. 

Overall, the experience didn't improve my opinion of the car insurance industry in this country. It runs the mobilephone sales industry a close second .  

On 24/06/2022, 12:02:36, emkay said:

Fitness studios etc are notorious for their very sharp contracts. I wouldn’t necessarily call it fraudulent. Only if the contract doesn’t state the cancellation policy. It must do. Reversing a direct debit payment for a legitimate charge can likely inflame the situation. 

My daughter works at a fitness studio as a student job. When she sells a membership, she properly explains the cancellation policy and even suggests forward dated cancellations when members say they are only resident for a short time.

Well, they didn't explain me anything! Regarding the cancellation policy it is not stated in the contract .

Fitness studios etc are notorious for their very sharp contracts. I wouldn’t necessarily call it fraudulent. Only if the contract doesn’t state the cancellation policy. It must do. Reversing a direct debit payment for a legitimate charge can likely inflame the situation. 

My daughter works at a fitness studio as a student job. When she sells a membership, she properly explains the cancellation policy and even suggests forward dated cancellations when members say they are only resident for a short time.

I received a letter from inkasso. Are they asking me to pay the rest of the amount together that have been withheld from june till november? 

Rechnungsnummer 

Beitrag##27.6.2022.  

Beitrag##25.07.2022

Beitrag##22.08.2022 

Beitrag##19.09.2022 

Beitrag##17 .10.2022

Gebühr     22.6.2022

Gebühr      22.6.2022

Gebühr      8.6.2022 

Gebühr      08.6 .2022 

Beitrag 30.05 .2022

I have received a letter from inkasso. Are they asking me to pay the rest of the amount together that have been withheld from june till november? 

Rechnungsnummer 

Beitrag##27.6.2022.  

Beitrag##25.07.2022

Beitrag##22.08.2022 

Beitrag##19.09.2022 

Beitrag##17 .10.2022

Gebühr     22.6.2022

Gebühr      22.6.2022

Gebühr      8.6.2022 

Gebühr      08.6 .2022 

Beitrag 30.05 .2022

Yes, it sure looks like they want the full amount until the end of your contract plus late fees for the payments you missed.  As far as I know, it's their right to do this as you stopped paying.

You should talk to the gym, apologize for your oversight and ask to get back to monthly.  If they say no, talk to the inkasso about a payment plan if you can not afford to pay it all at once.  This is not going away.  It will just keep adding on costs and late fees if you don't take care of it.

Of course she does!

She is related to you, and will probably have heard of the problems that automatically-extending memberships can cause over the years.

I would suggest that a similar, German, student would not automatically be aware of such issues, simply because it is regarded as being the norm in Germany.

8 hours ago, LeonG said:

Yes, it sure looks like they want the full amount until the end of your contract plus late fees for the payments you missed.  As far as I know, it's their right to do this as you stopped paying.

You should talk to the gym, apologize for your oversight and ask to get back to monthly.  If they say no, talk to the inkasso about a payment plan if you can not afford to pay it all at once.  This is not going away.  It will just keep adding on costs and late fees if you don't take care of it.

Thank you for your reply sir! Actually,I did spoke to the senior colleague of the fitness studio and the main concern is that she said me that she cannot drag me out of this situation as the matter has already been transferred to the debt agency.  :(

8 hours ago, LeonG said:

Do I need to pay directly to the inkasso company or to the fitness studio?

28 minutes ago, Sidra Khan said:

Thank you for your reply sir! Actually,I did speak to the senior colleague of the fitness studio and the main concern is that she said me that she cannot drag me out of this situation as the matter has already been transferred to the debt agency.  :(

8 hours ago, LeonG said:

I have called the inkasso company and they asked me to pay 100 euro from August therefore I dont' need to pay altogether at once.

10 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Of course she does!

She is related to you, and will probably have heard of the problems that automatically-extending memberships can cause over the years.

I would suggest that a similar, German, student would not automatically be aware of such issues, simply because it is regarded as being the norm 

On 28/06/2022, 13:29:09, yourkeau said:

Thank you for your gaslighting, Marianne, but if you take an English dictionary and try reading my post again, you will find out I did not recommend stopping to pay.

1. Germans already don't want to make contracts with foreigners because they have no Schufa. This is why I don't recommend anyone to move to Germany without a valid work contract and relocation assistance from the employer. 

2. I haven't lived in Britain, but Israeli civil law is based on British law introduced during the times of the British Mandate for Palestine pre-1948. We have yearly contracts, but we can cancel them at any time. No renewable bullshit and payment for services you no longer use. Actually, it's a common practice to get a better deal by canceling the contract. The customer service will call you and try to convince you to stay. Usually, you can negotiate a better price during this call. This will never happen in Germany. 

On 06/07/2022, 18:28:56, Sidra Khan said:

I received a letter from inkasso. Are they asking me to pay the rest of the amount together that have been withheld from june till november? 

Rechnungsnummer 

Beitrag##27.6.2022.  

Beitrag##25.07.2022

Beitrag##22.08.2022 

Beitrag##19.09.2022 

Beitrag##17 .10.2022

Gebühr     22.6.2022

Gebühr      22.6.2022

Gebühr      8.6.2022 

Gebühr      08.6 .2022 

Beitrag 30.05 .2022

Can anyone please explain it to me? What does this sentence mean? "Die Glauberin ist damit einverstanden ,dass der Betrag in Hohe von 533.98 in monatlichen Raten von 100.00 euro beginnend ab 1.08.2022 und jeweils spatestens zum 01. des Monats

On 28/06/2022, 13:29:09, yourkeau said: