Avoid standing orders and direct-debit billing

57 posts in this topic

I recently learnt that there is no way to stop standing-orders or direct-debit bill payments in Germany.

Even if you write, giving sufficient notice to companies like broadband DSL or electricity companies and receive confirmation that payments will stop at a specific date, watch out, because they won't.

The bank won't help either, they say you gave your details to the company and they cannot prevent this happening.

So, after moving back home, I am forced to watch money being taken for nothing from my German account or going through the bother of closing the account and switching bank.

Avoid these monthly payments unles you directly arrange it via the bank!!!

As long as a contract is still valid, telling your bank to stop paying will not make the debt to go away. I hate saying this, seriously, but you are not in Kansas anymore.

Never had any trouble with this.

If what is called a Lastschrift, for ex. electricity, telephone , is continued to be drawn from your account by error, just talk to the company , or send a fax, and claim your money back .No problem. Plus ,you can within a delay of 6 weeks make your bank draw this amount back.

In case of an standing order, well, it is up to you to inform your bank some time in advance to no longer proceed so. If you are late, then you simply , as above, send a fax or call.

Sillions of standing orders and direct-debits are made each month since ever.

have you left Germany? perhaps these companies just need to see your Abmeldung paperwork.

not sure though perhaps someone more knowledgable can confirm...

Yes, you need to officially cancel your contract(s) first, keeping the notice period in mind. The direct debit will stop when the contract runs out.

And as others have said, it's not difficult at all to cancel a Lastschrift or Einzugsermächtigung if you go about it the right way.

Not difficult? What an understatement

You go to online banking, click on the offending transaction, select "Lastschrift wegen wiederspruch zuruckgeben", and enter a TAN.

Is done.

Thanks for the feedback all, very helpful.

However, I gave the required notice and received confirmation from companies that all is in order and accounts closed, but receiving statement noticed over Euro700 removed from my account for the month I had been out of the country, so never used or had the services. That being DSL and electricity. (I followed procedure correctly and all was confirmed, then money was taken later).

Bank said they cannot help but that I should FAX them and maybe they would refund...still waiting.

Now I call the bank and the line goes dead. So likely I have to go in person and deal with it.

Bank told me if payments not arranged directly via the bank, they cannot prevent money being taken.

700.- ?

Maybe you consumed much more electricity as previewed and this is just the final rate?

Would be nice to post more information instead of posting assumptions, please.

Regarding the title, you cannot always avoid direct debits and standing orders.

And while I agree, it can happen that a standing order is still taken from your account after it was cancelled, this has maybe happened once or twice to me and was easily solved by calling the company.

Make sure you cancel any standing orders when you cancel a service/contract and check your account regularly so you can act fast. You can usually reverse any money taken within 6 months.

I recently learnt that there is no way to stop standing-orders or direct-debit bill payments in Germany.

a) You cancel standing orders with the bank.

B) You cancel direct debits with the creditor.

Even if you write, giving sufficient notice to companies like broadband DSL or electricity companies and receive confirmation that payments will stop at a specific date, watch out, because they won't.

Native caution, always check your account.

The bank won't help either, they say you gave your details to the company and they cannot prevent this happening.

See above B) . The bank cannot stop a direct debit.

Avoid these monthly payments unles you directly arrange it via the bank!!!

See above a) and B)

P.S. If you have left Germany kindly change your location to prevent future misunderstandings.

Regarding the title, you cannot always avoid direct debits and standing orders. And while I agree, it can happen that a standing order is still taken from your account after it was cancelled, this has maybe happened once or twice to me and was easily solved by calling the company.Make sure you cancel any standing orders when you cancel a service/contract and check your account regularly so you can act fast. You can usually reverse any money taken within 6 months.

Sorry, to avoid confusion, I meant direct debit, not standing order in my previous post. If there is confusion about the different terms please see below:

A direct debit is taken from your account, this can be a one-off payment e.g. if you order something online or a regular payment (e.g. phone, electricity). If it is a regular payment you have to agree to it ("Einzugsermächtigung"). A regular payment has to be cancelled with the company debiting your account ("Einzugsermächtigung widerrufen).

A standing order is something you set up with your bank or online (with some banks) if you want to send a certain amount on a monthly basis to someone. You can cancel this at any time again with your bank or online.

Hello, since cancelling my gym in august, and receiving the Kundingung confirmation from the gym, I can see that the direct debit kept on getting the money from my account .

Of course I made a direct debit objection to each of them, but how to stop them definitely ?

Should I send some special letter to the gym ?

Or go and talk to them ?

In the kundingung confirmation, it was written exactly when the membership will end ... so I don't think this is a case when the membership still needs to be payed until the end of the year or something ?

1 hour ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Or go and talk to them ?

This is the simplest way. Or send a registered letter to remind that they should stop doing that.

What they are now doing is actually a crime (fraud), but it costs time and nerves to prove that. Should be an option if they don't stop anyway.

See this opinion of a lawyer on this case: http://www.frag-einen-anwalt.de/Abbuchung-ohne-Erlaubnis--f52321.html

Hello, I am trying to compose the content of the letter but my German is rather sketchy .

Basically I want to say that they confirmed the Kundigung in August last year, but still every month they are still taking money from my account, and I kindly ask them to stop the direct debit (or else ?).

So far this is what I obtained by Google Translate, if somebody with good german could correct it :

Lastschriftverfahren

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Seit dem letzten Jahr habe ich von Ihnen den Nachweis erhalten, dass meine Mitgliedschaft endet.

Aber jeden Monat nehmen Sie Geld von meinem Konto .

Daher bitte ich Sie, die Lastschrift zu beenden.

P.S.: How to ask for them to also send confirmation that they received my letter ?

Just google Kündigung and musterbrief  (sample letter in German) and you'll get sample letters online. This is how I do all my letters. If you need something specific translated than I highly recommend this kazuyasasa 5 bucks for up to 200 words, super fast turn around time, Typically 1-2 hours, best deal on the net. 

If you gave the company permission to take the money from you account you can go online and take it back. Typically they'll send you a letter saying WTF??? But they could just send it to a collection agency. If you did a transfer to them you can't take the money back, at least at my bank.

The rules on cancelling are quite strict and many an expat has fallen afoul of them. Did they respond to your letter? 

I have the proof from last year that they aknowledged the Kundigung ... but probably they forgot to cancel the direct debit transfer from my account .

I cancel the direct debit every month but I just want for them to stop taking money .

My German friend help me to look for it last year, here you go:

Betreff: Widerruf

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

Hiermit wird die von mir erteilte Einzugsermächtigung mit sofortiger Wirkung widerrufen.

U

nterschrift Hinweis:

I would send this by post (registered mail). My German friend told me, this is the "lawful" right do this and after that, they have to stop it by law. But of course I am no lawyer and cannot confirm 100% regarding this.

Good luck!

Ronch

p.s.@Tim, I have also asked the Bank and they said they cannot cancel this from their end.